Why are we so against cope?

S

StopRottingNOW

Banned
Today I was having a conversation about life, death, and the concept of hope with a friend of mine.

We both were discussing our lives, and how in many ways we were unhappy with life and how it was going. He told me how sure it's bad, but he believes that he's a on a path to where he has belief that if he keeps doing what he's doing his future will be far better.

I say to him, "Hope is such cope though. We have no reason to believe our mindsets, lives, etc will be significantly better in the future than they are now. For the vast majority, past behavior predicts future behaviors."

He tells me. "Well maybe you should try coping. You'd probably be a lot happier"

The reality in my eyes, is that most things are cope. The idea that getting older isn't inherently bad is a cope. The idea that ugly people can live fulfilling lives is a cope. Using passions and shit to distract oneself is a cope.

But what's the point of identifying copes and rejecting them? What does not coping get us. Some things we can't face without cope. Death, for example, is something that you NEED to cope about in some to not feel depressed.

We were born into a world that doesn't give a shit about us. We are at the complete mercy of our environment and at the mercy of nature. Neither things give a damn about us, and in reality our existence is many times rendered meaningless at best, or torturous at worst. Copes help to alleviate this sorrow, and are necessary to do so. So why exactly do we reject cope?

• +1
Reactions: hapagenes2, Deleted member 15827 and Danish_Retard
just play vidya games man

I don't know how cope became such a derogatory concept. You either cope or you rope, therefore we are all coping. Looksmaxing is a cope. Having copes isn't a bad thing it's a good way to go through life because for almost all of us life will involve a lot of suffering. Where did we get this idea that life should be nothing but hedonistic ease? Perhaps zoomers living in a instagram fantasy. It's more a question of finding copes that make your life better, because clearly gambling and gymcelling have different life outcomes even though they are both copes.

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 15827, Deleted member 17920 and 4 others
I don't know how cope became such a derogatory concept. You either cope or you rope, therefore we are all coping. Looksmaxing is a cope. Having copes isn't a bad thing it's a good way to go through life because for almost all of us life will involve a lot of suffering. Where did we get this idea that life should be nothing but hedonistic ease? Perhaps zoomers living in a instagram fantasy. It's more a question of finding copes that make your life better, because clearly gambling and gymcelling have different life outcomes even though they are both copes.
Looksmaxing is a cope as well. An attempt to raise your daily dopamine levels through admiration and validation. Which in turn allows the person to deal better with the constant drudgery, misery and suffering we call life on Earth.

It's surely one of the best copes though. What better way to fool your brains into feeling happiness than a constant stream of female validation (if you are a straight male)? Most men only get to dream about it.

But it's achievable if your base is at least mediocre, and you have disposable income + willpower to do soft and hard maxing.

The ROI on improving your looks is incredibly high compared to copes like luxury cars, yachts or clothes, as far as getting female sexual attraction goes.

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1