Why do Westerners have this love affair with housepets?

Gargantuan

Gargantuan

Mod
Staff
Even though I'm from the West, I have often noticed that people who do not come from the West find it weird how much Westerners love housepets. And the more I think about it, the more I think there's something to that.

Because outside of the West, people generally don't love housepets to the same extent that Westerners do, which is often to an almost ridiculous degree as you will undoubtedly have come across these people who care more about their pet than they do about other human beings.
It also seems like a relatively recent phenomenon. Because if you go back in time, most people did not have housepets.

We all know about the dogpill but I think that the dog, the cat or whatever is also there to fill a void since society has become so atomized. There are no/hardly any communities anymore, no cohesiveness, people don’t talk to their neighbours anymore etc.
These people know that something is lacking in their lives/society so they try to fill up this void. Pets are loyal, they rely on you, can defend you/watch your back etc. However, in generations gone by, the community would do all of these things.

But society has been engineered to such a degree that people don’t get these things from other human beings anymore so they have to cope by adopting pets instead.
Honestly, it’s kinda symptomatic of how fucked up modern Western society really is.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Vvvvxxxx, Deleted member 28610, Deleted member 16275 and 28 others
Even though I'm from the West, I have often noticed that people who do not come from the West find it weird how much Westerners love housepets. And the more I think about it, the more I think there's something to that.

Because outside of the West, people generally don't love housepets to the same extent that Westerners do, which is often to an almost ridiculous degree as you will undoubtedly have come across these people who care more about their pet than they do about other human beings.
It also seems like a relatively recent phenomenon. Because if you go back in time, most people did not have housepets.

We all know about the dogpill but I think that the dog, the cat or whatever is also there to fill a void since society has become so atomized. There are no/hardly any communities anymore, no cohesiveness, people don’t talk to their neighbours anymore etc.
These people know that something is lacking in their lives/society so they try to fill up this void. Pets are loyal, they rely on you, can defend you/watch your back etc. However, in generations gone by, the community would do all of these things.

But society has been engineered to such a degree that people don’t get these things from other human beings anymore so they have to cope by adopting pets instead.
Honestly, it’s kinda symptomatic of how fucked up modern Western society really is.
I agree people use pets to replace meaningful friendships since those are so hard to come by these days.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28610, aesthetic beauty, Trilogy and 4 others
where I was born Jamaica they only keep pets for pest control
or house protection
and they never keep the pets inside
also the pets have to find food for them selves unless they are guard dogs
they think pet food, and dressing pets up and giving them play pens
is mental illness

• +1
  • JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: Jamaldickjavontus, Lmao, HitAndRun and 6 others
I don't have knowledge in many societies. The one I know normally doesn't have pets because it's time, money and energy consuming.

As you point out, you have smth or someone you can chill with and give your "love" to. There's a theory of many NT humans are open emotional circuits. That’s definitely a way to fullfill it. If you didn't, then why you have it? Why not a cockroach JFL? You like that its tangible enough to give you company.
Without this, I'd say folks are unlikely to get a pet.

I doubt other "societies" are more united though. They perhaps care less. Or have less need of feeding the circuit, or its not a pleasing enough way.

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan
or house protection
is mental illness
Jfl I know someone who is also Caribbean and he pretty much said the exact same thing

• +1
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday and datboijj
They are lonely and ugly

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 19994, ReadBooksEveryday and Gargantuan

yee i love my dog but im not gonna start sharing an ice cream cone with him like the white lady lives next to me does

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16275, Myth, ReadBooksEveryday and 5 others
Low testosterone/infertility/no children

• +1
Reactions: Vvvvxxxx, Lmao, ReadBooksEveryday and 2 others
idk dogs are great and i love mine

• +1
Reactions: HitAndRun, Deleted member 19994, Myth and 1 other person
If you live in your house together with your grandparents and grandchildren it makes sense that you don't need it.

Westeners are lonely

• +1
Reactions: Myth, ReadBooksEveryday, Deleted member 31457 and 1 other person
aryans have souls and love animals, ethnics are soulless and incapable of loving animals, simple as

• JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: HitAndRun, Trilogy, BearBoy and 7 others

White PIPO moment

• JFL
or house protection
is mental illness
I feed my pets but yeah even in the west non whites buy them for protection/pest control

White PIPO have pets to have sex with or to hve as a extended family member

• JFL
Reactions: Gargantuan and datboijj
its literally a dog nigga, why u trying to darwinianize having a fucking dog lmfaoooo

• JFL
Reactions: BearBoy, Myth, ReadBooksEveryday and 2 others
High IQ observation,sort of answered your own question tho lol,yes,some are trying to fill the void of living
in an encroachingly atomized Society,however boredom + too much free time I think plays the biggest factor.

• +1
Reactions: Lmao, ReadBooksEveryday and Gargantuan
High IQ observation,sort of answered your own question tho lol,yes,some are trying to fill the void of living
in an encroachingly atomized Society,however boredom + too much free time I think plays the biggest factor.
Another thing I've been contemplating as of late is an aspect of the dogpill that is never mentioned: how having a dog as a female (especially if it's a large male dog) might actually be representative of the relationship they want to have with males: one who they can control/have on a leash.

Might make a more elaborate/in-depth thread about it sometime soon lol

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Lmao, Deleted member 23772 and Yliaster
Yeah this is something I’ve noticed lately. I’ve often thought people in the west get so many pets because people here don’t have a lot going in their life. Doesn’t apply to all of course, but a lot of people. Western society is practically alienating, individualistic and lonely. So, many people get pets to cope with that. They find social outlets in their pets when they don’t often find it in other people. Other factors are probably just culture and how we view some animals. It’s true for me at least. My dog is the only friend I have, the only one who is happy to see me

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18582, Deleted member 23772, ReadBooksEveryday and 2 others
They do love housepets just as much in the East., Like Korea China etc. And no, Chinks or Gooks don't eat dogs. lol

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19994 and Gargantuan
I agree, but since I've largely given up on healthy social/romantic connection myself, I see why this is.

Having a dog would probably improve my overall mental well-being, filling that void.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19994, ReadBooksEveryday and Gargantuan
I think youre right. Related thing thing that annoys me so fucking much: you go to the house of someone who has a pet, and then say when the pet enters the room they call it over and starting talking about the pet and make you feel compelled to talk about it as well. Like I've had this friend who had a cat and they were CONSTANTLY interacting with it. Whenever it enters the room, it becomes the central topic of conversation. Pointing at it, commenting on it, saying things it has done recently. It's like they use them as a placeholder for real conversation and I'm forced to indulge in their anxiety-motivated pet discussion since they can't talk to me about anything else. Pets are supposed to be furniture.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: garoupilled_, Myth, Deleted member 23772 and 4 others
I think youre right. Related thing thing that annoys me so fucking much: you go to the house of someone who has a pet, and then say when the pet enters the room they call it over and starting talking about the pet and make you feel compelled to talk about it as well. Like I've had this friend who had a cat and they were CONSTANTLY interacting with it. Whenever it enters the room, it becomes the central topic of conversation. Pointing at it, commenting on it, saying things it has done recently. It's like they use them as a placeholder for real conversation and I'm forced to indulge in their anxiety-motivated pet discussion since they can't talk to me about anything else. Pets are supposed to be furniture.
I like that type of stuff. It's easy-going, gets people talking, feeling comfortable. Relaxing people that are generally over-stressed nowadays:

'Look at this dumb animal and the random shit it does. Joy can be easy, don't take life too seriously.'
At least that's the message I get from it. Lightens the mood.

Just don't need to overdo it and you can steer the conversation in a direction you prefer at any point

• +1
Reactions: Lmao, Gargantuan and Deleted member 23772
I like that type of stuff. It's easy-going, gets people talking, feeling comfortable. Relaxing people that are generally over-stressed nowadays:

'Look at this dumb animal and the random shit it does. Joy can be easy, don't take life too seriously.'
At least that's the message I get from it. Lightens the mood.

Just don't need to overdo it and you can steer the conversation in a direction you prefer at any point
Fair enough. It just seems that there are two types of pet owners--those for whom they constantly discuss and advertise the pets and use them as a surrogate for a personality and those for whom they are just kind of "there." I would like something in between but for whatever reason in the USA most people I meet are one way or the other. I do think it has something to do with atomization of social life and lack of public spheres in suburban USA like OP is suggesting for the West in general.

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan and MoggerGaston
Fair enough. It just seems that there are two types of pet owners--those for whom they constantly discuss and advertise the pets and use them as a surrogate for a personality and those for whom they are just kind of "there." I would like something in between but for whatever reason in the USA most people I meet are one way or the other. I do think it has something to do with atomization of social life and lack of public spheres in suburban USA like OP is suggesting for the West in general.
Yeah I get what you mean. You also have this with moms that can't stop talking about their babies/children. Or a guy that keeps talking about this obscure hobby and its details that nobody really cares about.
Some people just don't really socialize well, which isn't a surprise in the way western society is nowadays, like you say.

I had some great social interaction at this rave last weekend. Met this guy who was tripping hard on drugs and invited us over for a short after-party in his nearby apartment before we went home. We played a simple game that let other people ask difficult questions which the losing player had to then answer. We had some really deep interesting conversation through this, despite only having met this guy an hour earlier. Vibe was good, the interaction was something new and unexpected.

Socializing on drugs is unironically closer to how I think healthy, socially adapted people used to socialize in the past.

• +1
Reactions: Lmao and Gargantuan
I agree despite having a dog i'm really attached to, unfortunately hes getting old as well... :feelsbadman:

Pets are far more constant than people, I have maybe 2 friends who I've been close to consistently for 5+ years whereas most friends even those you really get along with inevitably drift apart like you said its a part of society. Pets (especially dogs imo) will always be there and are the closest thing to unconditional love many people will get in their lives, my dog especially has been there even at my lowest when I was isolated for almost a year from cancer. Theres also the phenomena of the "pet mom" which is a symptom of economic uncertainty where even couples refrain from having kids and have pets instead because its a quarter of the time, effort and investment so they can fill the void while grinding in the capitalistic rat race instead of prioritising whats important.

• +1
Reactions: Lmao, Gargantuan and St.TikTokcel

its not new

• +1
or house protection
is mental illness
no way youre jamaician like bob marley bro

• JFL
  • WTF
  • +1
Reactions: HitAndRun, Gargantuan and datboijj
  • +1
Reactions: Gargantuan and StrangerDanger
I agree despite having a dog i'm really attached to, unfortunately hes getting old as well... :feelsbadman:

Pets are far more constant than people, I have maybe 2 friends who I've been close to consistently for 5+ years whereas most friends even those you really get along with inevitably drift apart like you said its a part of society. Pets (especially dogs imo) will always be there and are the closest thing to unconditional love many people will get in their lives, my dog especially has been there even at my lowest when I was isolated for almost a year from cancer. Theres also the phenomena of the "pet mom" which is a symptom of economic uncertainty where even couples refrain from having kids and have pets instead because its a quarter of the time, effort and investment so they can fill the void while grinding in the capitalistic rat race instead of prioritising whats important.
Man's best friend.

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan and SubhumanCurrycel
I own a pet dog as well , he is @looksmaxxer234 . They cheer you up, and plus you can release them on any incel that angers you (I haven’t done this yet but it’s nice to have the option)

Having a pet becomes cope when you start replacing your childless life with it. Which is far too often, and quite a lucrative market (as they get to sell makeshift ‘organic dog food’ to dumb boomers)

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel, Trilogy, Gargantuan and 2 others
yeh i left when i was 7
i hate jamaicans tbh
but that's a story for another time
wow i thought you were from continental africa but youra buffalo soldier stolen from africa brought to america fighting on arrival fighting for survival

• JFL
  • WTF
Reactions: Gargantuan and datboijj
Another thing I've been contemplating as of late is an aspect of the dogpill that is never mentioned: how having a dog as a female (especially if it's a large male dog) might actually be representative of the relationship they want to have with males: one who they can control/have on a leash.

Might make a more elaborate/in-depth thread about it sometime soon lol
I doubt foids really want a man like that. They only want it for specific benefits. I really really put in doubt a womans ideal man isn't their Rock.

But the ones who were manipulated it was for resources

• +1
Yeah I get what you mean. You also have this with moms that can't stop talking about their babies/children. Or a guy that keeps talking about this obscure hobby and its details that nobody really cares about.
Some people just don't really socialize well, which isn't a surprise in the way western society is nowadays, like you say.

I had some great social interaction at this rave last weekend. Met this guy who was tripping hard on drugs and invited us over for a short after-party in his nearby apartment before we went home. We played a simple game that let other people ask difficult questions which the losing player had to then answer. We had some really deep interesting conversation through this, despite only having met this guy an hour earlier. Vibe was good, the interaction was something new and unexpected.

Socializing on drugs is unironically closer to how I think healthy, socially adapted people used to socialize in the past.
Fucking exactly with the moms and their children. Also especially in the USA--a children might be being annoying in public and comes up to you and does something or is being loud or whatever. Mom comes over apologizing and saying sorry and if I'm not hyper-reassuring like "oh it's ok," "don't worry," they give me this fucking death stare lmao. I am more annoyed by feeling socially compelled to reassure the mom than I am by whatever the child was doing. It's just the way things are here, so you can't really opt out but a little part of me dies whenever I put on a fake smile and and be "haha no big deal." in reality I want to say "keep your fucking kid in line, literally every other country in the world i've been to knows how to teach their kids to act properly in public space, your kid is not cute or funny"

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan and MoggerGaston
or house protection
is mental illness
My dad's Jamaican so that's pretty interesting to me. I know it's a third-world country so they do things differently there. My dad says not to let a dog in your bed or on the couch because it's an animal.

• +1
Reactions: HitAndRun, Gargantuan and datboijj
I consider my dog to be part of my family and a beloved being, I would give food to my dog in times of trouble than some subhuman npc that could be up to no good any day.

• +1