Why does everyone shit on elastics here?

D

Deleted member 17429

Kraken
I don't know why everyone here shits on elastics. Extractions I understand, but why elastics?

What's the reasoning behind it?

inb4 u say muh recession with no reasoning

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: incel194012940 and thecel
it pulls back your maxilla instead of moving the mandible forward to get "perfect"occlusion

• +1
  • Woah
  • Ugh..
Reactions: ungewist, Deleted member 19551, Deleted member 2729 and 1 other person
If you have an overbite they will pull you maxilla backwards instead of advancing the mandible giving you a class 2 deep bite and making you even more recessed. If you have a class 3 underbite they will pull you mandible backwards to match your recessed maxilla instead if advancing the maxilla leaving you even more recessed. If the over/underbite is extremely minor it won’t effect looks that much.

It cucks you most if you get them while you’re young and your jaws are still growing as the strong force of the elastics causes the maxilla to grow downward instead of foreward causing shitty gonial angle and typical mouth breather face.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: ungewist, Danish_Retard, Deleted member 2729 and 3 others
If you have an overbite they will pull you maxilla backwards instead of advancing the mandible giving you a class 2 deep bite and making you even more recessed. If you have a class 3 underbite they will pull you mandible backwards to match your recessed maxilla instead if advancing the maxilla leaving you even more recessed. If the over/underbite is extremely minor it won’t effect looks that much.

It cucks you most if you get them while you’re young and your jaws are still growing as the strong force of the elastics causes the maxilla to grow downward instead of foreward causing shitty gonial angle and typical mouth breather face.
My orthodontist claims he will bring my jaw forward. Is this a lie?

• Woah
Reactions: thecel
My orthodontist claims he will bring my jaw forward. Is this a lie?
same here, my mandible seems more forward grown/jutted when i put my elastics on
still not wearing them tho

• +1
Reactions: incel194012940 and Sigmamale
Elastics are cope for post-childhood adultcels.

• +1
Reactions: incel194012940 and Sigmamale
same here, my mandible seems more forward grown/jutted when i put my elastics on
still not wearing them tho
What kind of bite do you have?

I see I have deep bite
If you have an overbite he is probably making you more recessed. I’m not sure but on younger kids they use appliances to guide proper jaw development but if you are older jaw surgery might be your only option. Ask your ortho to explain exactly what his plan is to advance your mandible.

• +1
Reactions: Sigmamale
If you have an overbite he is probably making you more recessed. I’m not sure but on younger kids they use appliances to guide proper jaw development but if you are older jaw surgery might be your only option. Ask your ortho to explain exactly what his plan is to advance your mandible.
Ok I will ask next appt

What's an class 2 deep bite and how do I identify it

how does it impact the face when ur an adult ? it can’t have any impact on ur maxilla at like 22-23

WHEN is to late like 17? or what

I don't know why everyone here shits on elastics. Extractions I understand, but why elastics?

When you have an overbite the first thing that should be fixed is your teeth because your canines might prevent your bite from aligning. Then the maxilla needs to grow upwards and forwards which will allow the mandible to come in and finally align the bite. Elastics just push maxilla back. Sure they might fix the bite, but it ruins aesthetics. I recommend you get your teeth fixed first without using the elastics then just mew. Your overbite will be cured.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 17429
When you have an overbite the first thing that should be fixed is your teeth because your canines might prevent your bite from aligning. Then the maxilla needs to grow upwards and forwards which will allow the mandible to come in and finally align the bite. Elastics just push maxilla back. Sure they might fix the bite, but it ruins aesthetics. I recommend you get your teeth fixed first without using the elastics then just mew. Your overbite will be cured.
i stopped wearing them abt a month ago
been wearing them for 3 months tho since i stopped
i thnk my midface has gotten longer but not sure :trepidation:

• +1
Reactions: ungewist
i stopped wearing them abt a month ago
been wearing them for 3 months tho since i stopped
i thnk my midface has gotten longer but not sure :trepidation:
get teeth straight
mew
thumbpull
overbite gone.

I reduced my overbite from 7-1 mm without elastics and I lied to my ortho about it. Fuck that stupid greedy bitch

• +1

Because they need something (rubber) / someone (their orthodontist) to blame for their: a) bad genetics, and/or b) shit pre-natal nutrition / environment.

There's a reason why Mike Mew is popular - he's a cope salesman.

For average, milder cases all bands do is basically tilt the upper teeth backwards a bit. For correction of much larger overbites, at worst they can induce a few millimeters of alveolar recession which can flatten the lip to varying degrees, but this doesn't affect the upper midface at all.

Yeah - Extractions can be very damaging, especially during rapid growth i.e. adolescence. People are right to sperg out about them.

But guys complaining about getting teeth pulled in their early adulthood with mature cortical bone and low remodeling potential? 100% already ugly before the extractions.

• +1
Reactions: ungewist and agoostis
Because they need something (rubber) / someone (their orthodontist) to blame for their: a) bad genetics, and/or b) shit pre-natal nutrition / environment.

There's a reason why Mike Mew is popular - he's a cope salesman.

For average, milder cases all bands do is basically tilt the upper teeth backwards a bit. For correction of much larger overbites, at worst they can induce a few millimeters of alveolar recession which can flatten the lip to varying degrees, but this doesn't affect the upper midface at all.

Yeah - Extractions can be very damaging, especially during rapid growth i.e. adolescence. People are right to sperg out about them.

But guys complaining about getting teeth pulled in their early adulthood with mature cortical bone and low remodeling potential? 100% already ugly before the extractions.
Rubber bands are useless because the problem comes from recession, not protruding maxilla.

class II overbite with overjet
class 2 division 1 or division 2? Either way I think elastics fuck up face tbh.

So you're saying mewing will grow the mandible? Bruh...

class 2 division 1 or division 2? Either way I think elastics fuck up face tbh.
Overbite + overjet. Stopped wearing them for a while, even though I went from recessed to above average forward growth it seems like this past year

get teeth straight
mew
thumbpull
overbite gone.

I reduced my overbite from 7-1 mm without elastics and I lied to my ortho about it. Fuck that stupid greedy bitch
How did you do that?

• +1

Any way to reverse this?

how do i fix my teeth?