Why is midface ratio never discussed in professionals?

optimisticzoomer

optimisticzoomer

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
Midface ratio seems to be something that originated in PSL forums, compared to facial thirds and fifths.

Why is it that facial thirds and fifths (es ratio) are discussed in academic literature and known by surgeons, but there seems to be no knowledge of the importance of midface ratio? For example the plastic surgeon I talked about OBO with didn't understand what I was talking about. It seems surgeons are never taught this

• +1
Reactions: sub5inchcel
Long midface is counteracted by wide IPD so it can sometimes go unnoticed.

Narrow IPD and long midface is the ultimate subhuman look and it becomes way more obvious.

• +1
Reactions: Slob
Long midface is counteracted by wide IPD so it can sometimes go unnoticed.
Midface ratio I'm talking about. So ipd/midface length. Therefore cases where midface length is counteracted by high ipd wouldn't be an issue, but surgeons and academics don't seem aware of too high or too low midface ratio and the problems

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16220
Midface ratio seems to be something that originated in PSL forums, compared to facial thirds and fifths.

Why is it that facial thirds and fifths (es ratio) are discussed in academic literature and known by surgeons, but there seems to be no knowledge of the importance of midface ratio? For example the plastic surgeon I talked about OBO with didn't understand what I was talking about. It seems surgeons are never taught this
because its bullshit, ian somerhaldrr and gosling don go up when you increase it, only rhecel believes that

contrary to popular belief long midface is great, men are ussposed to have higher lower to full face ratio and chin to phokthrum above 2.5 is failo

• Hmm...
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 1851, Slob, Prettyboy and 1 other person
contrary to popular belief long midface is great, men are ussposed to have higher lower to full face ratio and chin to phokthrum above 2.5 is failo
Even if that were true, that's refering to facial thirds.

these measurements people choose to use are arbitrary and only as frame of reference for other people

• +1
a tall skull is good, a long midface is the opposite of good

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois and Slob
Midface ratio I'm talking about. So ipd/midface length. Therefore cases where midface length is counteracted by high ipd wouldn't be an issue, but surgeons and academics don't seem aware of too high or too low midface ratio and the problems
Possibly, but it's definitely an actual ratio the brain considers in beauty. Even normies know when a person's face is "long". It's just obvious. It might not be talked about in surgical academia simply because it's almost, if not, impossible to augment the midface. You would have to cut the fucking face in half including the nasal structure and there would be too much loose stretched out soft tissue afterwards from a lifetime of having a long midface to resurrect into a normal looking face.

If you do have long midface and it's caused by philtrum to any degree, a lip lift can help shorten it, and orbital box osteotomy to widen the IPD from average to above average and make the midface look less long in comparison.

Obviously OBO isn't ideal but there isn't any other option. You simply can't shorten the midface.

these measurements people choose to use are arbitrary and only as frame of reference for other people
Yes but the idea is still there. Regardless of the precise ratio, close to 1 always looks best

Yes but the idea is still there. Regardless of the precise ratio, close to 1 always looks best
just say longer or shorter midface

midface ratio is meme, no one measures it the same anyway

just say longer or shorter midface

midface ratio is meme, no one measures it the same anyway
Long or short midface usually refers to facial thirds, at least in the eyes of surgeons. That's my point. A long midface effect caused by low ipd rather than actual long midface is unspoken of in the literature

Long or short midface usually refers to facial thirds, at least in the eyes of surgeons. That's my point. A long midface effect caused by low ipd rather than actual long midface is unspoken of in the literature
because eye spacijg is an issue that has to be looked in isolation, no modface ratio for your es ratio

because eye spacijg is an issue that has to be looked in isolation, no modface ratio for your es ratio
Yes but low ipd looks better with a short midface to improve midface ratio, even if it makes middle third too short. Most professionals would probably only consider the height of the facial thirds and not in balance with ipd

I thought it’s universally accepted that a long midface is a hinderer of aesthetics

I thought it’s universally accepted that a long midface is a hinderer of aesthetics
Long midface ≠ midface ratio. When doctors talk about long midface it's about facial thirds. That's why the plastic surgeon I talked to who does box osteotomies so should know about impact of ipd on perceived midface length focused on my facial thirds and fifths

• +1
Reactions: Prettyboy
Yes but low ipd looks better with a short midface to improve midface ratio, even if it makes middle third too short. Most professionals would probably only consider the height of the facial thirds and not in balance with ipd
it looks better because shortening midface would improve facial rthirds maybe or the nose to byzigo width ratio

Long midface ≠ midface ratio. When doctors talk about long midface it's about facial thirds. That's why the plastic surgeon I talked to who does box osteotomies so should know about impact of ipd on perceived midface length focused on my facial thirds and fifths
By long midface I mean bad midface ratio. Either physically way too long or normal length but narrow interpupillary distance makes it look long

By long midface I mean bad midface ratio. Either physically way too long or normal length but narrow interpupillary distance makes it look long
thats bullshit then, ian skmerhalder and ryan goslin have "death tier" nidface ratios (sub 0.9) yet ian somerhlader is 6 psl while ryan is htn

thats bullshit then, ian skmerhalder and ryan goslin have "death tier" nidface ratios (sub 0.9) yet ian somerhlader is 6 psl while ryan is htn
Their other features can counteract, but low midface ratio on its own is awful.

Look how much worse Leo looks with longer midface

14A02E52 06A9 4330 9000 73F0B792E64B

• Hmm...