Why market cap and price of a crypto coin are not that meaningful.

reborn

reborn

Banned
Let's say I was to create a new shitcoin and I would have mined the first ten million of those coins. Now I would offer them for sale at $0.01 each and after a year or so they are all sold except for one million that I have kept. At this point a total of $90,000 has been invested in my coin (9 million coins sold at $0.01 each). That is all the money that has ever flown into the coin.

So now after that I stop selling coins and then some guy wants some but there are none available on the market. So he increases his bid to $100 for one coin. One of the owners agrees to sell at that price. At this point the order book will register $100 as the new price of the coin and this is what we get:

There are ten million coins out there.
Last trading price was $100.

=> The market cap is now $1,000,000,000 (one billion Dollars) (10 million coins x $100).
=> A total inflow of $90,100 has created this market cap.
=> My 1 million coins are now worth $100,000,000 (1 million x $100).

So you see how meaningless the price and market cap really are. Just $90,100 of cashflow have created a billion Dollar asset on paper.

Of course this example is exaggerated and unlikely to happen like this in the real world but this is pretty much how crypto assets get blown up these days. You may be worth millions of Dollars on paper but once you'd sell the price would collapse immediately and you'd have nothing at all.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: noodlelover, Deleted member 7098 and Masterix
can't force myself to read
seems like some bullshit tho
@Baldingman1998 tl:dr pls

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Gaia262, Baldingman1998 and efidescontinuado
dnr what coin do i buy tho?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3828
dnr what coin do i buy tho?
buy shitcoins for small ammounts
and the most of your money put into any well-established alt-coin (Top 100 marketcap) or BTC

I don't want to force my types of coins on you I'm very biased

• +1
Reactions: Elvisandreaa
You are right OP, market cap is not a perfect metric to gauge the value, because if ever you want to liquidate holdings the price people are willing to pay will massively fall.

Same is for all rich people, say some dude owns half the stock in a public company, it can be really hard to slowly release that stock for sale because when u try it will crash the price

You are right OP, market cap is not a perfect metric to gauge the value, because if ever you want to liquidate holdings the price people are willing to pay will massively fall.

Same is for all rich people, say some dude owns half the stock in a public company, it can be really hard to slowly release that stock for sale because when u try it will crash the price

Yes. There are shitcoins with ridiculous market caps and prices but the instance anyone starts to sell he will find out that his coins are worth shit. People always think that price and market cap are absolute values which is not even true for SP500 futures but certainly not for a random shitcoin.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7098
tldr look at liquidity + market cap

• +1
Reactions: noodlelover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back