Wrap around jaw implants or chin and jaw implants

Jason Voorhees

Jason Voorhees

Professor
What are the advantages of a wrap around over a jaw+chin implant? I know in a wrap around there's a possibility of mid mandibular augmentation but I'm talking about real world difference and advantages. Augmentation of the mid mandibles rarely improves the lower third. The latter is also cheaper I believe

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32
@randomvanish

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees
What are the advantages of a wrap around over a jaw+chin implant? I know in a wrap around there's a possibility of mid mandibular augmentation but I'm talking about real world difference and advantages. Augmentation of the mid mandibles rarely improves the lower third. The latter is also cheaper I believe
Good question tbh

if I remember correctly Eppley wrote an article about this, saying that a wraparound was better aside from the fact that it is more expensive. However he might have said this because of $$$

also idk how much mid mandible augmentation can improve the lower third, was thinking of making a thread on it eventually but I’m thinking atm that it’s very underrated

• +1
Good question tbh

if I remember correctly Eppley wrote an article about this, saying that a wraparound was better aside from the fact that it is more expensive. However he might have said this because of $$$

also idk how much mid mandible augmentation can improve the lower third, was thinking of making a thread on it eventually but I’m thinking atm that it’s very underrated

@RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32
wait til you're older and your jaw is fully developed and try to maximise your hormones and lifestyle

• +1
custom jaw implants benefits :
  • smooth line from ramus to chin tip, so it's more aesthetic than angle + chin combination. however some surgeons create a surface like this by hand carving, so it might be achievable by them too.
    Jaw implants jaw augmentation new york
  • designed specifically for your gonion. gonion shape and angle is different for everyone. for concave parts like chin doesn't require certain design but gonions are different. this means it will cover exactly your gonion without overlapping so symmetry will be achieved. ( note that some doctors claim no need for each design for gonions since it will be fixated by screws, they claim it's the only outer part of the implant what is important)
rather than this, there is no advantage of custom over jaw angle + chin implant combination. jaw angle implants has many variations according to your desires so you can design and shape any kind you want.

• +1
If someone has even the smallest antegonial notch they should be careful with implants since chin + jaw implants only can make it seem overly pronounced.

• +1
  • +1
Pretty sure he means that mandibular body projection should be kept to a minimum to avoid the bicycle seat face
on 2nd thought I think its the opposite. without enough projection in the mid-mandible/mandibular body you will get a bicycle seat face.

I made a thread about it if youre interested: