Xilloc CT Bone implant material

S

suddenurge

Iron
Does anyone have any info about the projected cost of a jawimplant or cheek implants and how close Xilloc CT bone are to approval in Europe https://www.xilloc.com/ct-bone/? The thing that worries me about this material is that it is made of calcium phosphate. This probably means that it is very brittle and therefore not suitable for augmentations in the chin or jaw area where there is a lot of pressure on the implant. Also what is there to say that it will not just get partly absorbed by the body over time, after all the body needs calcium all the time. I believe this is what has partly happened to patients who opted for hydroxyapatite or lyophilised cartilage as implant materials. The company does not seem to want to answer any questions, but it has already been approved in Japan through collaboration with a company called Next21 http://next21.info/english/index.html. Any Japaneese members on the forum that know something?

• +1
Reactions: PenileFacialSurgery
I looked into this. Don't convert well to bone. You'll get something pudgy and soft so I'll be a bad implant. Here are two slightly better solutions:

• +1
Reactions: Eduardo DOV, PubertyMaxxer, draco and 1 other person
I think these solutions are not discussed enough here. Maybe the breakthrough we’re waiting for will come in the 2020’s

Can anyone comment on the feasibility of implanting the entire lefort 3 area with these implants or would the weight/ soft tissue concerns not allow this?

• +1
Reactions: Eduardo DOV
I looked into this. Don't convert well to bone. You'll get something pudgy and soft so I'll be a bad implant. Here are two slightly better solutions:

@wereqryan Did you actually get in contact with Xilloc? Calcium phosphate printed in a 3D printer will most likely be brittle unless you mix in some other ingredients to add some flexibility? What is your thinking behind the statement that it will turn soft and pudgy? I would think that when put in a wet environment it would rather start to leech and slowly disolve like a calcium tablet.

CustomizedBone is already available in the US it seems. It is 100% hydroxyapatite which is a calcium phosphate which means that it is brittle. I think the ossdsgn is probably the best option since it uses a titanium mesh for reinforcement. I am just not a fan of titanium though. It cannot be reshaped by the surgeon during surgery if necessary. Secondly, it corrodes over time which induces inflammation in surrounding tissues and in some cases it seems to cause toxicity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6409289/ .

@dohbeep All of these biomed companies are soly focusing on resonstructive implant surgery. A big difference between reconstructive and aesthetic implant surgery is that in the former you are simple putting back the volume that the soft tissues are adapted to. I cannot speak to Lefort 3, but with jaw implant there are considerable soft tissue forces that pushes against the implant since you expanded the volume of the jaw without elongating muscles and ligaments. Hence, a brittle or soft implant will simply not work.

Also, I cannot imagine that any of these solutions will be approved in Europe for aesthetic surgery during 2020. Even if they were, would you want to be the guinea pig? Maybe by 2030 there will be something useful available for aesthetic surgery.

Another aspect is that all these implants seem to osseointegrate according to the manufacturers, which means that they are impossible to remove after a while. The question is then if there will be a long enough window from the time that the swelling has come down and you can truly evaluate your results (which can take up to 12 months for large facial implants), and the osseointegration is irreversible.

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, Leforrt3000 and Deleted member 4887
@wereqryan Did you actually get in contact with Xilloc? Calcium phosphate printed in a 3D printer will most likely be brittle unless you mix in some other ingredients to add some flexibility? What is your thinking behind the statement that it will turn soft and pudgy? I would think that when put in a wet environment it would rather start to leech and slowly disolve like a calcium tablet.

CustomizedBone is already available in the US it seems. It is 100% hydroxyapatite which is a calcium phosphate which means that it is brittle. I think the ossdsgn is probably the best option since it uses a titanium mesh for reinforcement. I am just not a fan of titanium though. It cannot be reshaped by the surgeon during surgery if necessary. Secondly, it corrodes over time which induces inflammation in surrounding tissues and in some cases it seems to cause toxicity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6409289/ .

@dohbeep All of these biomed companies are soly focusing on resonstructive implant surgery. A big difference between reconstructive and aesthetic implant surgery is that in the former you are simple putting back the volume that the soft tissues are adapted to. I cannot speak to Lefort 3, but with jaw implant there are considerable soft tissue forces that pushes against the implant since you expanded the volume of the jaw without elongating muscles and ligaments. Hence, a brittle or soft implant will simply not work.

Also, I cannot imagine that any of these solutions will be approved in Europe for aesthetic surgery during 2020. Even if they were, would you want to be the guinea pig? Maybe by 2030 there will be something useful available for aesthetic surgery.

Another aspect is that all these implants seem to osseointegrate according to the manufacturers, which means that they are impossible to remove after a while. The question is then if there will be a long enough window from the time that the swelling has come down and you can truly evaluate your results (which can take up to 12 months for large facial implants), and the osseointegration is irreversible.

Suifuel

Bump

• +1
Reactions: reptiles
lifefuels for cranial deformity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back