5 1/2 months and I'm still ill (although not as bad as in the beginning)

Bewusst

Bewusst

dead inside
December 16, 2020 was when it all started. It was the last time I had botox. I had several sessions before with no problems but my last treatment rendered me incredibly sick. Instead of paralyzing only my forehead (frontalis muscle) as intended, it somehow made its way into systemic circulation and weakened my whole body, especially my diaphragm and legs. In the first two months, I was permanently short of breath, even at rest. Thought I was gonna suffocate because my diaphragm was so weak I could hardly inhale. Called an ambulance twice. It's been 5 1/2 months and I still can't breathe properly. I haven't been able to take a normal full breath since getting ill. When I overexert my muscles/walk too much, my legs are like jelly for 2-3 days afterwards. I was almost unable to walk for a while. My vision was blurred for several months, which has only recently started to slowly get better. I couldn't see distant objects, watching TV or reading street signs was nearly impossible. I lost a bunch of weight, both muscle and fat, which appears to be coming back. I was constantly cold, had heart palpitations, ringing in the ears, a dry mouth, couldn't talk and swallow well and had poor muscle coordination. My skin looked like it had no collagen. I also had episodes of what felt like derealization and problems remembering things. This isn't the complete list.

Many of the symptoms have at least improved, some have disappeared but not all of them and I'm still far from how I was before. The remaining symptoms fluctuate a lot, depending on both unknown factors and my diet, water intake, weather, how active I am, stress levels and sleep. I'm in touch with other iatrogenic botulism sufferers and what I learnt was that the vast majority is ill for a very long time (often several years), many never recover completely and some also developed other diseases.

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6963, Lmao, Deleted member 9568 and 3 others
Download 1

• JFL
Reactions: Lev Peshkov
That is sad

That is sad
What's sad is that people still play Russian roulette with their health. How could such a substance ever be approved for use in humans?

• +1
Reactions: Lev Peshkov
Did you get botulinum antitoxin against your symptoms?? Did you have a couple botox treatments in a short period of times, or did the injector choose a wrong dosage?
Normally one of these mistakes are the cause of botulism.
"In a word, cosmetic botulism is a severe event caused by inappropriate injection of BoNT. The injection dosage of BoNT is positively correlated with botulism severity."

I take the risk of these side effects, because the effect on my forehead is crazy. Zero wrinkles and perfect glowing skin. I am going for injections all 3-4 months.

Last edited:
Did you get botulinum antitoxin against your symptoms?? Did you have a couple botox treatments in a short period of times, or did the injector choose a wrong dosage?
Normally one of these mistakes are the cause of botulism.
"In a word, cosmetic botulism is a severe event caused by inappropriate injection of BoNT. The injection dosage of BoNT is positively correlated with botulism severity."

I take the risk of these side effects, because the effect on my forehead is crazy. Zero wrinkles and perfect glowing skin. I am going for injections all 3-4 months.
No antitoxin or medical treatment in general, diagnosis of (iatrogenic) botulism is difficult and most doctors don't even know cosmetic botox injections can cause it. I had 4 or 5 treatments total within 1 1/2 years. The prior one was 4 months before. I don't know the dosage but based on what I paid, I guess somewhere between 10 and 20 units of xeomin. Iatrogenic botulism can happen even with low doses, infrequent/first time injections and correct administration since the toxin is able to migrate to distant nerve endings. Spread is not entirely preventable. Regardless of how experienced the injector is, botox is not safe and the risks can not be avoided period. I studied this horrible substance for almost half a year and it isn't pretty.

Let's pray you will never experience side effects, adverse reactions are much more common than they tell you and can take an eternity to subside. Botox = not worth it

My hands and legs are shaking. Pathetic

• So Sad
Reactions: Lmao