Anyone here familiar with Ray Peat forums?

Deleted member 6403

Deleted member 6403

Made It Out The Hood
If you are, are most things coming from them pseudoscientific? They constantly quote studies and such though.

Just after reading a few threads to me it just seems to be a bro science type of cult with very little to no consensus. They seem to think they can cure plenty of ailments, with right lifestyle, diet, supplements, etc.

If I'm getting it wrong please correct me.

I know a few Ray Peat followers in person. None of them seem particularly healthy. They consume a lot of sugar, much of it in liquid form (orange juice and Coca-Cola, if you can believe it), don't eat grains or any green vegetables, and seem to eat a very limited range of food. They are hyper-picky eaters, and yet they take a ton of supplements. They make nutrition extremely complicated and are rather neurotic about their diet, despite having little to show for it. One guy lifts weights, but doesn't really look like he does. The others don't exercise at all. They also seem to be irritable and not particularly happy, but correlation is not causation.

Based on what I've seen on the forum, this is par for the course. The people there basically cherry pick research to support their preconceived notions or to justify what they already believe. Never mind that much of the research they cite is on lab animals, remains to be replicated, or of poor quality (small sample size, many variables not controlled for, which is a common issue with nutrition science). There is one guy they worship (haidut?) schlepping supplements and hair loss theories, despite being bald and fat himself. I think a lot of people there are just looking to be contrarian to all the generally-accepted dietary advice. There's a lot of conspiracy and contrarianism there as well.

By contrast, the people I know who follow the scientific consensus on a balanced and healthy diet and exercise are far healthier. This can include anything from an omnivore, Paleo/Keto, or vegan/vegetarian diet, but they eat a variety of foods and make sure to get enough protein, carbs, and fat for their lifestyle/goals.

• +1
Reactions: LooksDeficiency
Largely bro-sciency, Peat himself can also seem that way(though half the posts there seem to abandon his principles)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6403
Largely bro-sciency, Peat himself can also seem that way(though half the posts there seem to abandon his principles)
Yeah, that's exactly what I've noticed. Frankly, if one seeks advice, they shouldn't even go to the forum but Peat's sources, examples: email exchanges, interviews, etc.

• +1
Reactions: LooksDeficiency
Yeah, that's exactly what I've noticed. Frankly, if one seeks advice, they shouldn't even go to the forum but Peat's sources, examples: email exchanges, interviews, etc.
There was a twitter account that posted a constant stream of his quotes but I can't remember it

• +1
There was a twitter account that posted a constant stream of his quotes but I can't remember it
Is it @PeatQuotes? I've saved a few in my Peat folder.

Is it @PeatQuotes?
No
I've saved a few in my Peat folder.
HideousInconsequentialJerboa size restricted

• WTF