Are psychologists worth it?

F

fuggg

Bronze
I have been addicted to unproductive copes for too long, I am either gaming, consuming internet media or eating. I want to actually develop myself.
In my city there is free counseling for any type of addiction (online media in my case) but idk if I should make an appointment. It might just be cringe and useless advice or they maybe wanna make me pay for a program. But I am aware of my situation for a long time and I havent really been able to change it myself.

Might just go there and then decide, but wanted to know what people here think. Since my addictions stem from being unattractive in a superficial society, I am sure there are users here who had the same problems.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe, hennypapi and Adriana Lima
I have been addicted to unproductive copes for too long, I am either gaming, consuming internet media or eating. I want to actually develop myself.
In my city there is free counseling for any type of addiction (online media in my case) but idk if I should make an appointment. It might just be cringe and useless advice or they maybe wanna make me pay for a program. But I am aware of my situation for a long time and I havent really been able to change it myself.

Might just go there and then decide, but wanted to know what people here think. Since my addictions stem from being unattractive in a superficial society, I am sure there are users here who had the same problems.
Depends on his prices. How much is a bimax?

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: toolateforme, SkinjobCatastrophe, Acromegaly_Chad and 3 others
I say give it a shot if it's free. It depends on the psychologist after all.

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe and Phoenix
Similar boat here. Give it a go. Personally haven't had much success since they just try to bluepill me. I just decided to focus on my goals/projects instead, and it helps tremendously. Once I get stuck on my projects though, lonliness and depression creep up on me until I get unstuck

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe
Speaking personally, and anecdotally for two people I’m close to, therapy has changed our lives for the better. A good therapist is worth a lot more than they are typically charging.

However (1) there are plenty of bad therapists and (2) there are many different schools of therapy, for instance off the top of my head: CBT, DBT, BA, ACT, schema, CFT, more standard ‘talk-based’ psychotherapy (basically the Dr Melfi in The Sopranos experience!). Usually a therapist will have a background/experience in more than one of these. I can’t say what avenue that is right for you (for me more talk-based psychotherapy was more attractive than CBT, for instance, but no doubt CBT can be effective for some people), but do your research and most importantly ensure the therapist you try has a background in academic clinical psychology, and not just some counsellor or someone who has done a two-year conversion degree.

• +1
For me it was a wast of time but i think it can help if you really open yourself up and having a good psychiatrist

• +1
yes they're worth it

• +1
make sure to get a female psychologist

• +1
It’s better to not have one. They drop way too many blue pills and they don’t solve the problem. In fact they oversimplify the problems you have. It’s cheaper and more productive to work on yourself without having someone breathe down on your shoulders. Take it from someone who has been in therapy my whole life.

• +1

From experience yeah they’re worth it even if the psychologist is a complete fraud and is clueless. Like even if they give 0 help ever, and you keep going to them. When you finally feel the need to stop going, you’ll know in your own mind you’ve progressed.

I guess they’re just a really good cope when you’re going through shit even if your psychologist is a literal retard and doesn’t give a shit about you, it’s still better to go then to never have gone in the first place.

Because weirdly if you never made the decision to start seeing one, there’s a much higher chance you’ll be stuck in the same mindset with the same limited opportunities you had before. Hard to explain or put into words tbh

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe and Need2Ascend
psychologists exist to make you believe that there is something wrong with you as apposed to something being wrong with the culture
"can't get a girlfriend? don't have friends? here if you take these pills that fuck your brain up your problems will be fixed"
a lot of the time people get diagnosed with disorders that they don't have because there environment makes them show symptoms of that disorder and they end up on meds that fuck them up in the long run

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe and Deleted member 11753
there's obviously a void in your life. are you having enough sex? are there people who love you? do you have friends? are you eating and sleeping healthy?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 22123, SkinjobCatastrophe, Deleted member 11753 and 1 other person
The only thing you need is invasive jaw surgery so get that shit done asap