Are we peaking in height?

elld101

elld101

Banned

See the interactive chart average adult height by year of birth. Very surprising since I felt people are getting taller esp younger generation.

Countries like the US, Netherlands, UK seem to be going in a straight line compared to the uptrend in the decades previously. Even if some are going up in the West, it's marginal and nothing like before.

Combine this with the fact of cost of living, inflation, living in world of shortages post-pandemic (UN food index is ath),

Meanwhile vast majority of non-western countries are going up just like Europe did in the 20th century. Soon manlets will be erased. 6'0 will be the norm.

We can't just keep growing and growing. Human height must have a potential average limit - I think the Dutch and Balkan people are the closest/first to reaching it. Otherwise 7ft Dutch people wouldn't be uncommon by the end of the century. Being taller naturally causes more health problems too and harder to maintain for most people.

• +1
Reactions: Banderacell, Beetlejuice, Growth Plate and 1 other person
Yes we are peaking in height
Males born in 2000 no taller than those born in 1980 despite the obsession with zoomer height on this forum
I worked in a shop for years where I analyzed height and there seemed to be more men with outlier height around 40 years old than 20 years old. You could put this down to more men around 40 years old coming into the shop but when you analyze the height of men 60+ they are notably shorter even accounting for a couple of inches of shrinkage
If this forum was around in the previous century when the height explosion was actually apparent you would have daily threads of people saying "Holy shit, just went outside today and average Gen X'er is 6 inches taller than the average Boomer"

• +1
Reactions: Deprived, Beetlejuice and elld101
It will go up until 183-185cm (6’ -6’1) and stay there for males. That’s how tall our hunter gatherer ancestors were on average in prehistoric times before ice age and the advent of agriculture cucked this species for millenias. We are only getting back where we were always supposed to be

• +1
Reactions: Jarate, Banderacell, Deprived and 5 others
It will go up until 183-185cm (6’ -6’1) and stay there for males. That’s how tall our hunter gatherer ancestors were on average in prehistoric times before ice age and the advent of agriculture cucked this species for millenias. We are only getting back where we were always supposed to be
💯

bump - because of high-quality thread looking for PhDs in auxology (study of height).

• JFL
Reactions: Growth Plate
We can't just keep growing and growing
We can because of sexual selection: women consistently wanting taller men. They always want above average men. Once 6' becomes average, 6'3" will be the new 6'

The reason this hasn't happened yet is because the current generation that has finished growing had parents before dating became extremely brutal like it is now. The next generation should be considerably taller

It is pretty much peaking wealthy countries based on what i have seen
US for example and it is not because muh shorter immigrants,young americans were already close to 5 feet 8 in the WW2(not that absurdly far from the average of today) and the country was way whiter than it is today back then,vast majority of the US pop were like 95-100% in european ancestry back then.
Younger japanese guys and dutch guys are also not much taller than the older generation.

Last edited: