Ask me Anything about the tech job market

there are far better avenues which im sure genuinely interest you.
I chose CS for money reasons too because I realized it’s the best I can do as business majors are too competitive and depend on the school rank plus connections. Medicine is good money too but I’d rather put work into cs related things than medicine as both require a decent amount of work.

I’m going to a community college and transferring to a top fifty cs school guaranteed or maybe higher if I apply to other places and I was wondering what I could I do during community college to prepare myself into the harder college and getting just getting good at CS things/coding in general?
very great question.
first off im mirin your focused path and direction. really mirin.

when you are in community college, i would absolutely suggest u have the best of the best grades, anything that has to do with college transfers instantly becomes better when u have perfect GPA. you ought to maintain that.
that's the first key. the actual academics.
look at the relevant courses taught in the harder college and requirements for transfers to the harder college and take those colleges as fast as you can. the earlier the better.

second, you absolutely have to do internships. this is a must, i would suggest building a good portfolio of git and cumulating project work. make sure these projects are relevant to the industry in which u wanna pursue ur career in.
ask your community college professors for referrals and be shameless about it. use every contact u know.

about the actual CS coding in general, it doesnt really matter what ur leetcode rank is, no one is gonna bother with it unless u r top 100 or something in the world. as long as you are clear and communicative in ur ideas. u should be fine.

good luck!

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane and poopoohead
I chose CS for money reasons too because I realized it’s the best I can do as business majors are too competitive and depend on the school rank plus connections. Medicine is good money too but I’d rather put work into cs related things than medicine as both require a decent amount of work.
bad thinking. seriously u will feel like shit doing work that doesnt get u that innate "kick".

who gives a fuck about competition? if u genuinely have a passion for something, u will be 1000x better than them automatically. you will have that "edge". it doesnt really matter.

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
very great question.
first off im mirin your focused path and direction. really mirin.

when you are in community college, i would absolutely suggest u have the best of the best grades, anything that has to do with college transfers instantly becomes better when u have perfect GPA. you ought to maintain that.
that's the first key. the actual academics.
look at the relevant courses taught in the harder college and requirements for transfers to the harder college and take those colleges as fast as you can. the earlier the better.

second, you absolutely have to do internships. this is a must, i would suggest building a good portfolio of git and cumulating project work. make sure these projects are relevant to the industry in which u wanna pursue ur career in.
ask your community college professors for referrals and be shameless about it. use every contact u know.

about the actual CS coding in general, it doesnt really matter what ur leetcode rank is, no one is gonna bother with it unless u r top 100 or something in the world. as long as you are clear and communicative in ur ideas. u should be fine.

good luck!
Thank you so much man! One worry I have is that CS isn’t a degree focused on one thing but rather everything in a sense, so I was wondering what type of directions there are and where I can explore more? Maybe something finance or ai related would interest me if it’s possible. I also heard that the degree sometimes may not be enough as you need certain certificates too. This sometimes made me wonder how people with no education get cs jobs, my cousin said his friend began making one hundred fifty thousand just out of highschool. Yeah so I guess I don’t have a roadmap yet and I feel like it’s very important to have one for this type of career path.

Not entirely related to tech but any way you know that I can make 30.000 dollars in 3 months?

Is the google it support certificate worth anything?

Not entirely related to tech but any way you know that I can make 30.000 dollars in 3 months?
3 months from today?
not possible g sorry

They have cucked us ultimately

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 28904

Attachments

• connor rage.gif
    connor rage.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: User28823 and slayer69
everything other than reverse engineering/compiler development in tech is a job for 50 iq monkeys.

I'm currently learning C++ (and haskell and python in the near future), learning how to reverse engineer software, learning how the Windows OS works, etc., and I'm wondering if it's easy to break into the cybersecurity industry. Right now I don't have much experience but by the time I graduate college I will

I'm currently learning C++ (and haskell and python in the near future), learning how to reverse engineer software, learning how the Windows OS works, etc., and I'm wondering if it's easy to break into the cybersecurity industry. Right now I don't have much experience but by the time I graduate college I will
Yes cybersecurity is at an all time high demand now. go for it!

also mirin oxford student

• Love it
Reactions: Respalier
I've done recruiting during summers for my close acquintances' tech company across a plethora of fields within Tech.
So I'm up to date with all info and what's being hired and what's not.

Tired of seeing shit like frontend jobs and very vague software engineering (With no direction) being recommended everywhere, from youtube to even this shithole, when in reality frontend development is one of the most saturated job markets out there. and software engineering with no direction is like saying u wanna make music but u dont know which kind.

Ask me anything about the jobs in tech, I will be happy to answer.
state ur interests to be more precise.
@nineteen
Beginner student here. Is getting a job hard in 2023 as front end

Beginner student here. Is getting a job hard in 2023 as front end
Yes.
It’s hard for experienced folk. Now imagine the situation for beginners.

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane
Yes.
It’s hard for experienced folk. Now imagine the situation for beginners.
would u reccomend comp sci and a future in the industry for someone who doesnt like math but has passion for the field

I'll most likely end up pivoting to data science from the finance degree I'm pursuing right now.
Data science consulting seems a lot more interesting, and based on how things are looking, relevant as well. Data is the new oil, especially with so many companies trying to integrate some form of autonomous intelligence into their services/products.
Might work for a company that helps businesses bridge the gap between practical business applications and the availability of data to businesses (maybe I'll focus on a finance niche) or I'll eventually end up creating my own business once I've acquired a little practical experience and feel I have a decent enough business idea.

• +1
Reactions: slayer69
Legal ways, very, very difficult. Gambling, possibly? Illegal ways, possible, but very risky.

I'll most likely end up pivoting to data science from the finance degree I'm pursuing right now.
Data science consulting seems a lot more interesting, and based on how things are looking, relevant as well. Data is the new oil, especially with so many companies trying to integrate some form of autonomous intelligence into their services/products.
Might work for a company that helps businesses bridge the gap between practical business applications and the availability of data to businesses (maybe I'll focus on a finance niche) or I'll eventually end up creating my own business once I've acquired a little practical experience and feel I have a decent enough business idea.
ye that sounds good

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr