Ask me Anything about the tech job market

slayer69

slayer69

Forum Advisor
I've done recruiting during summers for my close acquintances' tech company across a plethora of fields within Tech.
So I'm up to date with all info and what's being hired and what's not.

Tired of seeing shit like frontend jobs and very vague software engineering (With no direction) being recommended everywhere, from youtube to even this shithole, when in reality frontend development is one of the most saturated job markets out there. and software engineering with no direction is like saying u wanna make music but u dont know which kind.

Ask me anything about the jobs in tech, I will be happy to answer.
state ur interests to be more precise.
@nineteen

• +1
Reactions: the next o'pry, midlatinocel, Deleted member 28904 and 2 others
wrong subforum @TRUE_CEL move this to moneymaking

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 24278 and Michael Myers
underrated software engineering fields?
best fields that utilize math?

Do you know much about circuits

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: midlatinocel, PointOfNoReturn and jojoyou
I am currently doing a DevOps job and tbh I don’t have much CCNA skills but I do know the fundamentals. What’s your opinion on DevOps, do I have a good future or should I go back to becoming a data scientist?

• +1
Reactions: slayer69
Wdym by software engineering fields? Cybersecurity is a niche field and the pay is also good.

Also for maths you can go into a ML heavy field like data analyst positions in a company but you should also learn a database language like SQL or mongo.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21661, slayer69 and Deleted member 13787
If you want "pure" software engineering, and at the same time want to get a real job, then I'd say Anything related to cloud or compression is good but they're a bit competitive.
But if you just want developer jobs, which i would definitely say are 1000x hotter, its best to go into data analytics, machine learning, cloud or even blockchain.
I'll give you some examples
- Qlik sense BI developer
- Kubernetes DevOps Engineer
- Ether.js Engineer
- AWS Solution Architect
- Tableau Developer
- Anything related to Automation in Data Analytics
hands down System Architecture

• +1
Reactions: jojoyou and Deleted member 13787
Wdym by software engineering fields? Cybersecurity is a niche field and the pay is also good.
OP said software engineering is vague thats why i asked for specific fields which are underrated

Can u elab on cybersecurity? What is the process like if you take it in uni? Roughly

• +1
Reactions: jojoyou
If you want "pure" software engineering, and at the same time want to get a real job, then I'd say Anything related to cloud or compression is good but they're a bit competitive.
But if you just want developer jobs, which i would definitely say are 1000x hotter, its best to go into data analytics, machine learning, cloud or even blockchain.
I'll give you some examples
- Qlik sense BI developer
- Kubernetes DevOps Engineer
- Ether.js Engineer
- AWS Solution Architect
- Tableau Developer
- Anything related to Automation in Data Analytics

hands down System Architecture
Thank you for the comprehensive reply, bookmarked it.

• +1
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: poopoohead, Willmogulater, slayer69 and 1 other person
OP said software engineering is vague thats why i asked for specific fields which are underrated

Can u elab on cybersecurity? What is the process like if you take it in uni? Roughly
Basically learn cryptography, I didn’t dwell much apart from fundamentals because it’s required in cloud computing. So I can’t help you much about the advanced stuff.

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead and Deleted member 21661
I am currently doing a DevOps job and tbh I don’t have much CCNA skills but I do know the fundamentals. What’s your opinion on DevOps, do I have a good future or should I go back to becoming a data scientist?
I think you should go back to being a Data Scientist and venture deeper into Big Data.
that's just my personal opinion seeing current market trends but i guess this also heavily boils down to ur interests

• +1
I think you should go back to being a Data Scientist and venture deeper into Big Data.
that's just my personal opinion seeing current market trends but i guess this also heavily boils down to ur interests
I have a huge interest in cloud computing tbh. That’s why I made the change to DevOps, thanks for your input I will give it a hard thought.

• +1
View attachment 1684190631780.jpeg

Also maybe this will help you, it did for me when I was younger and didn’t know much about the IT path. This is like a roadmap that helped me, it’s also kinda outdated but it still is accurate 90%. You have the different fields on the right and the starting entry level roles on the left which progresses from left to right.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
I have a huge interest in cloud computing tbh. That’s why I made the change to DevOps, thanks for your input I will give it a hard thought.
well i mean if thats the case u should check out tools like CloudWatch, Grafana, and Prometheus.
Especially CloudWatch jobs are crazy. tbh any AWS tools be it CodePipeline or EMR are legit gigahot

• Woah
Btw what’s your CTC annually and how much do you get cash in hand?

Btw what’s your CTC annually and how much do you get cash in hand?
its not my company i told you
i worked for fun because i was genuinely curious. i did get a commission for every hire i did make though.

professionaly, im into other fields. just dm me if u want to know more. too much doxx here.

• +1
prospects for data engineer? tryna go score that entry through internships and hire after internship completion

i don’t know how to stand out more besides showcasing projects on github, working on an Azure and AWS project

also really good at SQL leetcode but not so much in python, should I delegate time to getting better at python?

*also should i consider scoring an easier BI role and transition? i think it’s better if i’m able to go straight into data engineer

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
prospects for data engineer? tryna go score that entry through internships and hire after internship completion
i mean dawg lol, data engineering is so vast, u gotta be more specific, are you talking about ETL, Cloud, Big Data, or even ML?
i don’t know how to stand out more besides showcasing projects on github, working on an Azure and AWS project
communication and research work. especially communication. dont be neurotic.
also really good at SQL leetcode but not so much in python, should I delegate time to getting better at python?
as long as you can demonstrate Data Structures and Algorithms questions in python, you're good you dont need more than that.
u gotta make sure u r god tier at SQL
and now that u mention SQL, you probably wanna work in ETL or Big Data. yeah sounds good, very good prospects.
*also should i consider scoring an easier BI role and transition? i think it’s better if i’m able to go straight into data engineer
i mean it really depends on what you wanna do, do you wanna be with more technical teams or do you wanna work more with product managers?

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead and Deleted member 27660
How many applications do you get?

Do they really filter based on 'how they feel' at the interview stage? Some autistic retards who can't talk but have top tier grades and accreditations may struggle

Is a non-comp sci degree or qualification an automatic no?

How much for 30 mins with your mom?

• +1
i mean dawg lol, data engineering is so vast, u gotta be more specific, are you talking about ETL, Cloud, Big Data, or even ML?

communication and research work. especially communication. dont be neurotic.

as long as you can demonstrate Data Structures and Algorithms questions in python, you're good you dont need more than that.
u gotta make sure u r god tier at SQL
and now that u mention SQL, you probably wanna work in ETL or Big Data. yeah sounds good, very good prospects.

i mean it really depends on what you wanna do, do you wanna be with more technical teams or do you wanna work more with product managers?
yeah ETL/Pipelines/Big data is my focus. hopefully i’m good. i’m gonna have to get better at SQL leetcode cuz most mediums i’m still having trouble with. i’ve been studying dsa with python so i’ll complete that too.

i feel like i’m qualified enough within 2 months for winter internships. i’m only a junior undergrad, and i delegate 2 hours everyday towards studying and projects. other DEs say i’m doing everything on track and right, but as of now i have 0 experience with internships/work

yeah ETL/Pipelines/Big data is my focus. hopefully i’m good. i’m gonna have to get better at SQL leetcode cuz most mediums i’m still having trouble with. i’ve been studying dsa with python so i’ll complete that too.

i feel like i’m qualified enough within 2 months for winter internships. i’m only a junior undergrad, and i delegate 2 hours everyday towards studying and projects. other DEs say i’m doing everything on track and right, but as of now i have 0 experience with internships/work
oh and i want to stick to using cloud when implementing these concepts. it’s way easier and more organized in my opinion using Azure and Databricks, and i’ve gotten good at debugging processes

Is it true programmers wear thigh high socks

• JFL
Reactions: inceI
How do I get into programming without a degree or a non-relevant degree?

• +1
How do I get into programming without a degree or a non-relevant degree?
What degree do you have? Just be direct

A non relevant degree is very broad ranged and vague

• +1
What degree do you have? Just be direct

A non relevant degree is very broad ranged and vague
I’m in college rn but don’t have the work ethic to do a comp sci degree. So I’m gonna do an easy major like Business or some easy liberal arts shit and maybe learn programming on the side.

• JFL
Reactions: User28823
I’m in college rn but don’t have the work ethic to do a comp sci degree. So I’m gonna do an easy major like Business or some easy liberal arts shit and maybe learn programming on the side.
Terrible idea

It’s gonna be 1000x harder for u and u r gonna regret not doing a CS degree if you are genuinely into Tech.

With A technical degree yes it doesn’t matter, like with electrical engineering or chemical engineering or a math degree

But having a history degree and wanting to go into tech? Dawg that is gonna be giga hard.

• +1
Terrible idea

It’s gonna be 1000x harder for u and u r gonna regret not doing a CS degree if you are genuinely into Tech.

With A technical degree yes it doesn’t matter, like with electrical engineering or chemical engineering or a math degree

But having a history degree and wanting to go into tech? Dawg that is gonna be giga hard.
What about Business with a concentration in MIS?

What about Business with a concentration in MIS?
I mean i guess that could but I still don’t understand why u don’t wanna do CS when u have the option

I mean i guess that could but I still don’t understand why u don’t wanna do CS when u have the option
I have the attention span of a goldfish, I can’t focus on something for more than 5 seconds. In class, while doing work, pretty much in anything. Something like CS/Engineering/Medicine, I wouldnt be able to do the work due to my low attention span. So I’m forced to pick easy majors that I can do with no effort and learn skills on the side.

I have the attention span of a goldfish, I can’t focus on something for more than 5 seconds. In class, while doing work, pretty much in anything. Something like CS/Engineering/Medicine, I wouldnt be able to do the work due to my low attention span. So I’m forced to pick easy majors that I can do with no effort and learn skills on the side.
Then the job isn’t for you either.
Low attention span will get you nowhere in life eve.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27660 and User28823
Then the job isn’t for you either.
Low attention span will get you nowhere in life eve.
I can make it, I just need the degree bc I can learn the rest of whatever industry I’m gonna work in on the side. Idk if it’ll be software engineering but some career for sure.

Frontend has been replaced by fullstack

1. How far away are we from AI replacing developers? Is this a valid concern or is it overblown?

2. Are tech bootcamps a meme compared to a degree? They promise to help you find employment and they’re cheaper, does the bachelors mean that much more?

1. How far away are we from AI replacing developers? Is this a valid concern or is it overblown?
overblown out of proportion, there will just be new jobs to take care of AI systems as simple as that
2. Are tech bootcamps a meme compared to a degree?
are they a meme? no.
They promise to help you find employment and they’re cheaper, does the bachelors mean that much more?
yes bachelor's in a technical field is everything

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane
overblown out of proportion, there will just be new jobs to take care of AI systems as simple as that

are they a meme? no.

yes bachelor's in a technical field is everything
Which bootcamps mog?

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead and Xangsane
I'm not in the tech field but is there a future in blockchain technology and all the programming languages like Solidity, Rust etc?

I'm not in the tech field but is there a future in blockchain technology and all the programming languages like Solidity, Rust etc?
I mean we can't say for sure. It still is a hot job market and very new technology whose potential we haven't fully realized.
Rust has always been used, Solidity's future does depend on blockchain.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: poopoohead and ascension
How can I become more employable now after finishing my first year of comp sci? Like what should I learn, do on github etc

• +1
How can I become more employable now after finishing my first year of comp sci? Like what should I learn, do on github etc
this question is super vague, be more specific about ur interests and goals in life

this question is super vague, be more specific about ur interests and goals in life
I wanna become a software engineer and make loads of money. Just looking to build up my non existent github now so I have proof of being able to do stuff

I've done recruiting during summers for my close acquintances' tech company across a plethora of fields within Tech.
So I'm up to date with all info and what's being hired and what's not.

Tired of seeing shit like frontend jobs and very vague software engineering (With no direction) being recommended everywhere, from youtube to even this shithole, when in reality frontend development is one of the most saturated job markets out there. and software engineering with no direction is like saying u wanna make music but u dont know which kind.

Ask me anything about the jobs in tech, I will be happy to answer.
state ur interests to be more precise.
@nineteen
I’m going to a community college and transferring to a top fifty cs school guaranteed or maybe higher if I apply to other places and I was wondering what I could I do during community college to prepare myself into the harder college and getting just getting good at CS things/coding in general?

• +1
I wanna become a software engineer and make loads of money. Just looking to build up my non existent github now so I have proof of being able to do stuff
dawg im being 100% serious, if u r doing this for the money then dont. there are far better avenues which im sure genuinely interest you. explore those paths.
a lot of money can be made via any career path not just tech. trust me on this.
its not worth putting urself through the hassle of something u dont have a genuine passion for.

this might sound generic and bluepilled, but really ask yourself, do you really want to waste 30-40 years of ur life doing something u DONT LIKE just so u can have some random money in ur bank account?
no. absolutely the fuck not.

stop chasing the money dawg. chase the 1 niche that genuinely interests the fuck out of u and go all in on that. u will make 10000x more money that way i guarantee.

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr, Xangsane and poopoohead