best high protein, high volume foods while on a budget?

Kingcel32

Kingcel32

Solstice
Currently unemployed but trying to get a job soon. I need to eat more protein but I can only eat so much eggs and chicken before getting sick of it. Right now current problem is trying to cut back on carbs and fats, but most of the cheap shit is nothing but fat and carbs. My diet consists of eggs, chicken, and basic green vegetables for main meals. Fruits for snacks but also cereal and some random almond crackers I found lmao. Any suggestions for high protein foods while at the same time being high volume?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854
Nonfat greek yogurt with frozen berries

• +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 17291, Ricochet, JawMogger and 2 others
maybe some ground chicken? I bought some ground chicken meat (god knows wtf is in it) for 2 usd for 500 grams (1.1 lbs).

• +1
Reactions: Kingcel32
why the fuck are you not drinking milk?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20064, Lux and Kingcel32
wdym "high volume food" ?

• +1
maybe some ground chicken? I bought some ground chicken meat (god knows wtf is in it) for 2 usd for 500 grams (1.1 lbs).
Getting tired of chicken but yeah may try it. I may just start getting canned tuna, could do a lot with it tbh.

why the fuck are you not drinking milk?
I get fucking bad cramps from drinking milk. Don't know why I don't get it from consuming other forms of dairy though.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17291
I get fucking bad cramps from drinking milk. Don't know why I don't get it from consuming other forms of dairy though.
u might be lactose intolerant

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17291 and Kingcel32
wdym "high volume food" ?
High volume is where you consume a lot of it, but it's still very low calorie wise. Think of stuff like salads. Watermelon is also a volume food, I think two cups of it is around 100 calories.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17291
no you don't

terrible idea
Bro I took some of your diet advice I thought was a stupid meme and it works

I’ve been eating a shitton of carbs and sugar and burning it (both of which give so much dopamine)

My metabolism mood and libido all went up and I even gained strength and lost weight

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17291, Bewusst and Kingcel32
Greek yogurt
Chicken
Milk
Beans
Eggs

• +1
Reactions: ErbCel and Kingcel32
nuts are cheap enough and have high quality protein content

• +1
Reactions: ErbCel and Kingcel32
What would you recommend?
Beans, vegetables, fruit, mashed/boiled potatoes, cream of wheat/rice, lean meat and whole eggs as you already mentioned. Most importantly tho, don't cut back on calories (or any particular macronutrient) too much. Food volume is only part of the equation, but your body will always recognize and respond to a negative energy balance, regardless of the quantity you're eating

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5815 and Kingcel32
Try goats milk it might sit much better w you. the 3 best foods you can be eating are potatoes, milk, & ground beef imo & they're all dirt cheap. Citrus for more fiber & if you need more calories douse everything with extra virgin olive oil

• +1
  • Ugh..
Beans, vegetables, fruit, mashed/boiled potatoes, cream of wheat/rice, lean meat and whole eggs as you already mentioned. Most importantly tho, don't cut back on calories (or any particular macronutrient) too much. Food volume is only part of the equation, but your body will always recognize and respond to a negative energy balance, regardless of the quantity you're eating
True. I understand that I can't maintain my caloric deficit for too long, but I just need to be in one in order to reach 10% bf, then I will eat at maintenance. It's very difficult actually being in one while still being healthy on a budget so that's my main problem currently.

Bro I took some of your diet advice I thought was a stupid meme and it works

I’ve been eating a shitton of carbs and sugar and burning it (both of which give so much dopamine)

My metabolism mood and libido all went up and I even gained strength and lost weight
Glad to hear that, although my starch vs simple sugar thread wasn't exactly intended as diet advice

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: incel194012940 and Kingcel32
Currently unemployed but trying to get a job soon. I need to eat more protein but I can only eat so much eggs and chicken before getting sick of it. Right now current problem is trying to cut back on carbs and fats, but most of the cheap shit is nothing but fat and carbs. My diet consists of eggs, chicken, and basic green vegetables for main meals. Fruits for snacks but also cereal and some random almond crackers I found lmao. Any suggestions for high protein foods while at the same time being high volume?
saturated fat is good for u. what ive learned vid on yt

• +1
i reckon its good to invest a bit more in quality organic food. eating cheap canned shit with all those additives isnt good long term and also short term endocrine disruption

• +1
beef stew or ground beef
whole milk if you want cheap cals and protein, lowfat milk is fine too but more $$ per calorie
potatoes they provide complete protein containing all amino acids and are one of the most satiating foods
white rice

• +1
Lulz at the people saying milk or yogurt. Both have an extremely high fat to protein ratio, and milk is almost all water by weight.

Turkey and chicken are your only options. Rat farming if you can't afford those (rats are extremely high protein).

Also, salmon farming.

Ants and grasshoppers are another excellent protein source easily farmed.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Br0sk1 and Kingcel32
Lulz at the people saying milk or yogurt. Both have an extremely high fat to protein ratio, and milk is almost all water by weight.

Turkey and chicken are your only options. Rat farming if you can't afford those (rats are extremely high protein).

Also, salmon farming.

Fat free greek yogurt is very high volume with only 5 gs of carbs with 16 gs of protein for 150 g serving. Next to eggwhites, it's the most satiating source of protein.

OP, your best options are egg whites, chicken breast, and tuna for protein. Low fat high protein and cheap.

For high volume low cal veggies, green beans are very inexpensive. Costs less than broccoli, and especially spinach which is usually the most expensive. 16 oz bag of frozen green beans is usually no more than $1. Only 120 cals for the whole bag, and very filling. Also low fat popcorn is very filling for low calories. If you get the Smart Pop brand that Greg Doucette promotes, an entire bag is 240 calories with 2.5 gs of fat, 8 gs of protein, 8 gs of fiber, and a ton of volume. If you want to save money, you can just buy actual kernels, and pop them in a brown paper lunch bag, or on the stove.

• +1

Also, salmon farming.

I always get the yogurt with the fat removed. It's cheap per unit of protein compared to any kind of meat I've ever come across where I live. Probably the cheapest animal protein per unit I can easily find besides maybe cartoned egg whites.

Canadian food prices are stupidly high and memeworthy though, so take that into consideration too.

• +1
convinced this is some kind of elaborate troll

• +1
convinced this is some kind of elaborate troll
Kind of true actually, they are a good source of protein.

• +1
Reactions: Detona and Deleted member 5815
whey protein maybe?

It may sound like cope, but Greg Doucette has a lot of ideas for low-cal High protein foods. Just don't buy his overpriced cookbook.

I also get some ideas from Remington James

• +1
  • Ugh..
Kind of true actually, they are a good source of protein.
you guys are right I was ignorant apparently black ants are a good aromatase inhibitor they lower estrogen + high protein, zinc, b vitamins

still not eating them lol

• +1
you guys are right I was ignorant apparently black ants are a good aromatase inhibitor they lower estrogen + high protein, zinc, b vitamins

still not eating them lol

I have eaten them before. They have no taste other than slightly tangy. I ate them raw and alive though.

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 5815