Best Jaw Implant Material???

P

poopmaster22

Solstice
What is the best material for jaw/orbital implants? Is it Peek or Titanium or Solicone? Like which will last forever and gives best results?

peek

• +1
Reactions: MrRubiks
How long does it last before you have to replace it? Is it actually better than titanium?
titanium always sounds like bullshit to me. since it's much harder than the jaw itself, if you take an impact, it can shatter your jaw into pieces.
I saw papers from the 1960s, about silicone facial implants. i couldn't find a horror story about silicone, that causes life-altering bone erosion. there was even a guy who carried his chin implant for 42 years.
peek looks even better than that, since it's using for cranial for almost 20 years. however, it's a fairly new material, so long-term results might vary.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Wallenberg, Deleted member 7098 and 1 other person
titanium always sounds like bullshit to me. since it's much harder than the jaw itself, if you take an impact, it can shatter your jaw into pieces.
I saw papers from the 1960s, about silicone facial implants. i couldn't find a horror story about silicone, that causes life-altering bone erosion. there was even a guy who carried his chin implant for 42 years.
peek looks even better than that, since it's using for cranial for almost 20 years. however, it's a fairly new material, so long-term results might vary.
Aids. Idk I want it to be in their for life and not have to pay more down the road so just curious what was best

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7098 and Deleted member
Also depends which company,
Shit materials are silicone( mostly used by us plastic surgeons) and medpor
Good Materials: Peek, Titan Mesh (not the normal titanium implants),
New materials: marpor (not medpor), ct bone (made from calcium phosphate like real bone but not available now), ceramic implants

• +1
Reactions: NegativeNorwood
Also depends which company,
Shit materials are silicone( mostly used by us plastic surgeons) and medpor
Good Materials: Peek, Titan Mesh (not the normal titanium implants),
New materials: marpor (not medpor), ct bone (made from calcium phosphate like real bone but not available now), ceramic implants
Why do you think silicone is a shit material?

PEEK. It's as strong as bone and doesn't cause any resorption. It can also be customized to produce no step-off.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20064, Deleted member 2729 and poopmaster22
Lack of strength, it doesn't feel like bone, and it causes bone resorption.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20064
Lack of strength, it doesn't feel like bone, and it causes bone resorption.
Is this realistically of any concern with infraorbital/wraparound implants? (the resorption that is)

Is this realistically of any concern with infraorbital/wraparound implants? (the resorption that is)
I'm not sure tbh. i just know that it's not ideal. I literally threw away 7k just because of the difference. I forfeited my deposit with Eppley to go to Pagnoni. Pagnoni's use of PEEK was one of the reasons.

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
I'm not sure tbh. i just know that it's not ideal. I literally threw away 7k just because of the difference. I forfeited my deposit with Eppley to go to Pagnoni. Pagnoni's use of PEEK was one of the reasons.
So peek regardless where it is put is safe for life and won’t cause issues or need changes?

PEEK. It's as strong as bone and doesn't cause any resorption. It can also be customized to produce no step-off.
One big disadvantage is that it is harder to replace or remove than silicone or titanium as it has significant bone and tissue ingrowth.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Wallenberg and randomvanish
One big disadvantage is that it is harder to replace or remove than silicone or titanium as it has significant bone and tissue ingrowth.
In theory, of course, you don't want to replace anything. You want it there permanently.

In theory, of course, you don't want to replace anything. You want it there permanently.
Of course that would be ideal, but the vast majority of guys i know that got a jaw implant had at least one revision as they weren‘t fully satisfied with the initial result

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
Oh it grows into the tissues?
I believe he's referring to porosity of the material combined with natural bone remodeling causing the material and bone to fuse over time. Honestly though, this is what you want.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Deleted member 2729, ifyouwannabemylover and 1 other person
I believe he's referring to porosity of the material combined with natural bone remodeling causing the material and bone to fuse over time. Honestly though, this is what you want.
Oh bone and peek become one ? Shiz ya that is what I want innit

• +1
Reactions: MrRubiks
Shape and Size (Design) is 10000x more important than material

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Wallenberg, randomvanish and 2 others
Of course that would be ideal, but the vast majority of guys i know that got a jaw implant had at least one revision as they weren‘t fully satisfied with the initial result
It's a double-edged sword for sure. Adhering to the implant material is ideal though in the long run. We can't have our cake and eat it too. It's a little different for me though as I'm just doing my eyes.

like i said before, PEEK is best right now

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
A little o/t, but I just got off the phone with somebody from Eppley's office and was told that I would be getting most of my deposit refunded. Legally, they had no obligation to do this, so I'm quite happy about it. I appreciate their professionalism and helpfulness.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard
It s never used by european maxfacs, silicone can easy lead to infections and granuloma, it releases chemical softeners over time.
The advantage is that it can be easilly removed, but it's also softer as real bone.

Peek is the gold standart but the body creates a capsule around the implant.

Titan mesh should be better (but normall titan implants are worse)

Attachments

• Mandible_onlay_AM_titanium_1200x610.jpg
    Mandible_onlay_AM_titanium_1200x610.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
It s never used by european maxfacs, silicone can easy lead to infections and granuloma, it releases chemical softeners over time.
The advantage is that it can be easilly removed, but it's also softer as real bone.

Titan mesh should be better (but normall titan implants are worse)
normal titan implants looks like this

Attachments

• titanium-0b9993fdb4.png
    titanium-0b9993fdb4.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
I talked today with a surgeon who uses Bone Cement implants. It's the first time I am hearing this. Any1 knows about this?

Oh what he use for jawline?
Medpor. I am told by multiple people that peek is no longer offered. Supposedly he has become entirely money hungry and no longer listens to your desires. You are offered a streamlined experience where you follow his vision. Not very impressive results according to a few people that had their consultations. To summarize, they stated you are paying big money for an average surgery when you go to Sailer.

• +1
Reactions: poopmaster22
Medpor. I am told by multiple people that peek is no longer offered. Supposedly he has become entirely money hungry and no longer listens to your desires. You are offered a streamlined experience where you follow his vision. Not very impressive results according to a few people that had their consultations. To summarize, they stated you are paying big money for an average surgery when you go to Sailer.
Then he needs to be done

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6756

Is the infection rate any higher with silicone jaw implants than with PEEK jaw implants?

You know alot about anti step off maxxing and jaw surgery?

You know alot about anti step off maxxing and jaw surgery?
Not much about the jaw because I got very lucky there, but I do about the eyes. For starters, just stay away from silicone.