BSSO or only genioplasty?

RoyaleWithCheese

RoyaleWithCheese

Ascend or Die
Been working with an orthodontist (didn’t learn the full story about orthodontics until long after I started) for a while and consulting with a surgeon about BSSO jaw surgery to advance my mandible. Surgeon is saying I should just go for sliding genioplasty only as it is less invasive and will still achieve my desired result of not having this recessed lower third. And the orthodontist says my mandible is only recessed slightly so the genioplasty is really what I need. But I don’t know, as I understand it the genioplasty will only lengthen the chin but the jaw surgery would bring more of my jaw forward which could be a larger improvement. Any ideas?

Attachments

• EF9A8E6D-1B75-4E2F-AAB2-51000E2C7DDE.jpeg
    EF9A8E6D-1B75-4E2F-AAB2-51000E2C7DDE.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 0
  • EC5EA0DF-0004-4E5B-B355-149CA822EE5C.jpeg
    EC5EA0DF-0004-4E5B-B355-149CA822EE5C.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
Reactions: humanoidsub7 and ROTTING
Solution
RoyaleWithCheese
I ended up getting the genioplasty and am extremely happy with the results. Recovery was also super easy after the first 4 days. Tbh I’m surprised why genio isn’t talked about much on here. Certainly BSSO is a more powerful procedure but it takes years of prep wearing painful ugly braces, is more expensive, and has a long recovery. I’ll share pictures at some point, but it definitely increased my facial aesthetics significantly.
not an expert but from this side profile i would say honestly go for everything you can get.

• +1
Reactions: ROTTING and RoyaleWithCheese
Well, they are judging from the medical necessity perspective.

But aesthetically, your main issue is not your chin tbh. Your main problem is the weak jawline. Due to an extremely narrow jaw (Plus maybe fat?). So, if so, BSSO is a necessity unfortunately.

But if i am wrong, is suggest you do underchin lipo.. and then finish off your chin with fillers or implant...

Idk why would anyone even do genioplasty? whats the point? Can someone enlighten me?
You can achieve the same results or better with fillers and implants...:bigbrain:

Seriously, screw genio and bsso, go for implants. Preserve your facial nerves...cutting bones is dangerous you know... (y)

• +1
Reactions: noprogressno, ROTTING and RoyaleWithCheese
not an expert but from this side profile i would say honestly go for everything you can get.

That is what I am leaning towards. Hoping to gain a bit of additional definition. If the only change is that my chin juts out a bit more, I don’t know how helpful that is. Surgeon is assuring me that the visual changes would be very similar with either one, but I am a little skeptical.

Thanks for that info. Here is my jaw from another angle. It does narrow a bit towards the front. I think it looks much worse from the side profile, which is why I thought it’s possible maybe I just need the additional chin projection. Definitely thinking about lipo and fillers afterwards too. Genioplasty will improve my airways, or so they tell me. (I don’t think I have any problems with that anyway.) Also I am very fortunate that because of that, my insurance is willing to pay for it.

DD4A22E2 6DA1 4FA2 81D4 6DCE86D7A848

• +1
Reactions: humanoidsub7, BugeyeBigNoseCurry and ROTTING
Genioplasty will improve my airways, or so they tell me. (I don’t think I have any problems with that anyway.)
If they really say that, and you are not confusing anything, CHANGE YOUR SURGEONS ASAP.

How can genio the fuck improve your airways, smh? :feelsmega:

If they really say that, and you are not confusing anything, CHANGE YOUR SURGEONS ASAP.

How can genio the fuck improve your airways, smh? :feelsmega:
I don’t understand it but what I’ve read online says the same thing. But I am primarily concerned with aesthetics anyway and I’m communicating that with them.

• +1
Reactions: A23ghskung
That is what I am leaning towards. Hoping to gain a bit of additional definition. If the only change is that my chin juts out a bit more, I don’t know how helpful that is. Surgeon is assuring me that the visual changes would be very similar with either one, but I am a little skeptical.
Try getting both.

• +1
Reactions: RoyaleWithCheese
both and as a bonus do chin liposuction

• +1
Update: Looks like my only option is genioplasty. Been speaking with the surgeon and it looks like my orthodontist did not align my teeth properly to enable jaw advancement and to fix it would take a very long time + risk damage to my teeth since they have already been moved so much. Pretty annoyed by this as I wore braces for nearly 3 years for the sole purpose of getting BSSO. But just cutting my losses and going with genio. Surgeon used Dolphin Imaging software to show me what I could expect.
Obviously I'm annoyed that my orthodontist fucked me over but if the projection here is accurate I think it will still be a considerable improvement. Thoughts?
Genioplastybeforeafter

• +1
Reactions: humanoidsub7, normie_joe and BugeyeBigNoseCurry
Update: Looks like my only option is genioplasty. Been speaking with the surgeon and it looks like my orthodontist did not align my teeth properly to enable jaw advancement and to fix it would take a very long time + risk damage to my teeth since they have already been moved so much. Pretty annoyed by this as I wore braces for nearly 3 years for the sole purpose of getting BSSO. But just cutting my losses and going with genio. Surgeon used Dolphin Imaging software to show me what I could expect.
Obviously I'm annoyed that my orthodontist fucked me over but if the projection here is accurate I think it will still be a considerable improvement. Thoughts?
View attachment 1721495
u need to learn proper tongue posture first, u can t even see the jawline.
that ''fat'' under the chin is actually the bottom of ur tongue.
stick the back of ur tongue on the back of ur palate till u cant breathe and them take a side pic for us to see pls

• +1
Reactions: BugeyeBigNoseCurry
I ended up getting the genioplasty and am extremely happy with the results. Recovery was also super easy after the first 4 days. Tbh I’m surprised why genio isn’t talked about much on here. Certainly BSSO is a more powerful procedure but it takes years of prep wearing painful ugly braces, is more expensive, and has a long recovery. I’ll share pictures at some point, but it definitely increased my facial aesthetics significantly.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Tai Lung, Deleted member 43403, chosen-one and 5 others
Solution
Hey i'm looking at getting a sliding genio done. Do you mind DMing me your results?

• +1
Reactions: BugeyeBigNoseCurry and RoyaleWithCheese
send me a pics too, pls.
I likely need bimax, but am considering trying the camouflage route of a genio. I have my doubts about it but maybe your results will help me figure it out

• +1
Reactions: BugeyeBigNoseCurry
Before on top, after below:
BoROdsR.jpg

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: king_bandon
My whole lower third has ascended hard, it’s evident at all angles. I’m even thinking about getting an implant added onto the advanced chinbone. Just a few milimeters to cap it off. Just thinking about if its worth the risk and recovery. I also don’t wanna fly too close to the sun and end up looking like Jay Leno. The reference I have in mind is Viggo Mortenson, who still chinmogs me to death:

XLlLyyB.jpg

SflsG2X.jpg

0BFB88FC 2D51 414C 886B 69D00E6FB807

Update because I’m getting a revision surgery soon. Here’s a before/after shot. It’s a huge improvement IMO but I still feel like it would have looked better if I had gotten both surgeries done. So I am getting another sliding genioplasty plus gonial angle implants.

Really hoping my chin doesn’t end up looking pointy, my goal is to get a similar aesthetic result to BSSO and my surgeon thinks he can get me there. I get a bit of BDD and depression over the fact that my lower lip is still recessed. Fuck my old orthodontist man…

• +1
Reactions: normie_joe, king_bandon, Johanjohan and 1 other person
View attachment 2047320
Update because I’m getting a revision surgery soon. Here’s a before/after shot. It’s a huge improvement IMO but I still feel like it would have looked better if I had gotten both surgeries done. So I am getting another sliding genioplasty plus gonial angle implants.

Really hoping my chin doesn’t end up looking pointy, my goal is to get a similar aesthetic result to BSSO and my surgeon thinks he can get me there. I get a bit of BDD and depression over the fact that my lower lip is still recessed. Fuck my old orthodontist man…
looks good asf bro

• +1
View attachment 2047320

how many mms of genio was this?

any updates?
Yeah I posted a thread a while back but I ended up getting a revision with about 5mm more advancement and am happy with the new results.
IMG 0822
IMG 0823

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: User49 and king_bandon
bro this looks weird no offence. go back to this:
IMG 1779

Nah it’s better now, at least IMO. This is a more recent pic with all the swelling gone.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: mvp2v1, sanchez451, normie_joe and 1 other person
With all the swelling gone, that actually looks really good BTW.
Genio was fucking life fuel for me. To everyone saving up to surgerymaxx, if you do it right it will be so worth it in the end.

• Love it
Reactions: HighClassMaxing
Genio was fucking life fuel for me. To everyone saving up to surgerymaxx, if you do it right it will be so worth it in the end.
The results are very good bro. Did you go to the same surgeon for the second genioplasty. Also is the recovery harder/easier the second time and is it harder for the surgeon since he has to remove the plates from the first surgery?? Just wondering cause I really like my genioplasty results but might get a second one because I need more height and length

The results are very good bro. Did you go to the same surgeon for the second genioplasty. Also is the recovery harder/easier the second time and is it harder for the surgeon since he has to remove the plates from the first surgery?? Just wondering cause I really like my genioplasty results but might get a second one because I need more height and length
Yeah I went to the same surgeon, recovery is the same the second time

• +1
Reactions: sanchez451
It honestly doesn’t matter, seriously. Genio is simple. Anyone other than sunail richardson can ascend your lower third lmao
I guess. But I’ve seen and heard mixed things about genio. Your results are the best I’ve ever come across. So that’s why I’m interested in knowing exactly who you went to…

I guess. But I’ve seen and heard mixed things about genio. Your results are the best I’ve ever come across. So that’s why I’m interested in knowing exactly who you went to…
I can DM if you really wanna know. I just don’t know if he’d wanna be associated with a site like this so i won’t dox him

I can DM if you really wanna know
This might sound really stupid, but I'm not sure how to DM you. When I try to view your profile it says "This member limits who may view their full profile.". Also, I think I need at least 100 rep to DM someone anyway. Is there anyway you could DM me?

• +1