Can we claim we know what we look like? Mirror theory.

LebenistneHure

LebenistneHure

Silver
I've created a few threads before claiming how different lighting can make or break your face. But now I've started to realize something else. Mirrors. How can you tell if what it's showing is true?

We got a new bathroom at home, and we installed a new mirror. It's no news that some mirrors can morph the image, depending if they're more concave or convex on either the horizontal, or vertical, or maybe both axes. Well, how can you claim you know what you actually look like? This is the same issue with selfies distorting your face, and camera lens: no two images are the same. And I'm starting to think, unless you get a scientific grade mirror, there will be some sort of error in the mirror. I know I don't look the same in any two mirrors at my house. It's like fun-house mirrors up in here: sometimes you look good, sometimes you look incel. I realize this doesn't play a role in many people's looks, but when you're like me, literally borderline looks, where it counts if my face is proportionally wider by a couple of mms, it plays a huge role. And in my case, I can't claim I know what I actually look like. In one mirror my face is harmonious, in another it's not. Same with images.

So I'm kind of stuck now. I don't know what the hell to do. It makes all the difference if my face is wider by a couple of mms, because that makes both my IPD and my pfl wider, and I actually look harmonious. A tiny change in that? Or god forbid, my midface appears to look a couple of mms longer than I initially thought? I look out of proportion. And this is why I claim I don't know what I actually look like. It's not like I can go to the scientists and ask for a flawless mirror. Maybe all the mirrors in my house are wrong, and a third one is right.

When you see yourself in a bathroom mirror when you're out somewhere, how can you tell it's not fucking with you? I might sound like a mentalcel here, but honestly, one tiny change in the width/length of my face is the difference between perceiving myself as a sexy demi god, and an incel. It's fucked.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Stallone, Need2Ascend, terrorblade and 5 others
I think we should establish some kindof a system of taking pictures according to a unified standard - for example pic taken at 2 meters distance with a 50mm lens

And if everyone took pics like this, comparing them against each other would be a lot more accurare, rather than trying to guess how large the distortion is.

The problem is, that we would need to have pics of models in the same format - that would be pretty difficult to collect, as you can't really know what distance and focal length was used for a picture. You can only guess.

• +1
Reactions: LebenistneHure
you don't need to ever look in a mirror to know if you're ugly or goodlooking
ugly -> women feel disgust when you talk to them
normal -> you can talk to women normally, maybe get some sexual attention depending on other factors
goodlooking -> you get sexual attention regularly

• +1
  • Ugh..
  • So Sad
Reactions: never_lucky, DrTony, Lawton88 and 1 other person
normal -> you can talk to women normally, maybe get some sexual attention depending on other factors
garbage fucking take never open your stupid mouth ever again you retard

how are you supposed to plan surgeries, precise movements for osteotomies and exact dimensions of implants when you dont know what you exactly look like with 100% certainty?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Stallone, Need2Ascend, terrorblade and 6 others
I think we should establish some kindof a system of taking pictures according to a unified standard - for example pic taken at 2 meters distance with a 50mm lens

And if everyone took pics like this, comparing them against each other would be a lot more accurare, rather than trying to guess how large the distortion is.

The problem is, that we would need to have pics of models in the same format - that would be pretty difficult to collect, as you can't really know what distance and focal length was used for a picture. You can only guess.
That's the whole issue. There is no way to standardize this. I wonder how many of us live in an illusion thinking we're ugly/gl when it's the opposite, just because we're used to seeing ourselves in a flattering/unflattering mirror, with minimal or big distortion.

• +1
Reactions: ezio6 and Mongrelcel

how are you supposed to plan surgeries, precise movements for osteotomies and exact dimensions of implants when you dont know what you exactly look like with 100% certainty?
fuck surgeries, by the time you get them the train will already have long been gone

• Ugh..
Reactions: Mongrelcel
Well some people are autistic and can't tell. Like some people think they're ugly and perceive the looks they get as judgmental, and they might be gl. Or the other way around, if an ugly person is very confident, and he might perceive all looks as sexual attention.

That's the whole issue. There is no way to standardize this. I wonder how many of us live in an illusion thinking we're ugly/gl when it's the opposite, just because we're used to seeing ourselves in a flattering/unflattering mirror, with minimal or big distortion.
It's not about being able to tell if you're GL or not, thats pretty easy, and anyone with a but of psl knowleage will be able to do so.

Whats harder is being able to exactly pinpoint the flaws on your face.

When you get used to taking pics of yourself you’ll know what you really look like.
Mirror isn’t what we look like.
if you think you are a slayer in the mirror then you should be slaying

When you get used to taking pics of yourself you’ll know what you really look like.
Mirror isn’t what we look like.
if you think you are a slayer in the mirror then you should be slaying
cameras are even worse when it comes to good representation of reality

take a look with your sibling/father/mother in the mirror. They will appear odd, because you are not used to look at them in the mirrored way.

Now go to a public bathroom and watch as people go near the mirror that oddness would not be present , cause that's the first time you see that person so flipped or non flipped image doesn't faze you as much as the person you talk to regularly.

Exposure effect, mirror is the closest thing you look like (aside from true mirror), with pics you can get lens distortion. Of course lighting can impact it as well.

• +1
Reactions: DrTony
Take carseat sellfie

Some women smile
Some dont

at this point, the only way to see how you really look is how people treat you in real life

you look the same as in the mirror literally

i found out because i made a true mirror and i literally look exactly the same as i do in a normal mirror. pictures somehow still manage to fuck me up

I

It was the only actually intelligent practical outcome-based advice. You are just butthurt. Keep trying different mirrors and focal distances.

You can’t tell

your soft features/skin and maybe even bones can look different in different mirrors too depending on lighting

You can’t tell

your soft features/skin and maybe even bones can look different in different mirrors too depending on lighting
I've realized this, I will try to improve in a way I resemble the "best lighting" myself, such that I don't look like that only in favorable lighting, but in every other as well.