Can your maxilla still grow with a retainer

D

Deleted member 19766

Kraken
Because I'm CERTAIN mine did, but only the upper. I'm guessing puberty is why. I grew an entire browridge and my nose projects out a lot more (It's very straight btw). The lower on the other hand seems like it might've stayed the same. I've worn a retainer for a very large chunk of my life. Some people make it out to be that a retainer stops ALL growth but I don't think it's true, although I almost certainly could have had more without it.
Even looking at myself as a kid, my jaw used to look quite wide but now it's quite narrow relative my wide cheekbones. Perhaps my retainer kept my lower maxilla in place while I'm guessing only my cheekbones/palate grew? Even temples look more narrow now but I'm pretty sure that's literally skull/bone and entirely genetic.
Might also be partially genetic because my mom has wide cheekbones and narrow jaw, dad's side is a lot more 1:1 though. Some say certain traits only show up during puberty.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: horizon, Solar and KingBetaTut
Because I'm CERTAIN mine did, but only the upper. I'm guessing puberty is why. I grew an entire browridge and my nose projects out a lot more (It's very straight btw). The lower on the other hand seems like it might've stayed the same. I've worn a retainer for a very large chunk of my life. Some people make it out to be that a retainer stops ALL growth but I don't think it's true, although I almost certainly could have had more without it.
Even looking at myself as a kid, my jaw used to look quite wide but now it's quite narrow relative my wide cheekbones. Perhaps my retainer kept my lower maxilla in place while I'm guessing only my cheekbones/palate grew? Even temples look more narrow now but I'm pretty sure that's literally skull/bone and entirely genetic.
Might also be partially genetic because my mom has wide cheekbones and narrow jaw, dad's side is a lot more 1:1 though. Some say certain traits only show up during puberty.
This is exactly what I’ve been thinking. I have a metal permanent retainer and was wondering if mewing was cope

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking. I have a metal permanent retainer and was wondering if mewing was cope
I literally said that my whole jaw might've stayed the same while the upper part grew (Although this could be genetic). I've never had extractions so I doubt it got more narrow, even if I mouth breathed I don't think that narrows it.
I don't think it's cope, we would practically all look better if we grew up with tongue/lip/buccal ties instantly removed, breastfed for 2+ years, surgery if necessary, taught and practicing perfect posture/mewing from birth, etc. with zero orthodontics but yes it probably is for many cause of how old they are or what they're expecting. Surgery is the answer for most.
Btw is your metal permanent retainer upper or lower and how many teeth? I have one on bottom for 6 I think, I'll double check again. Also been wearing a plastic one every night for a while now.

I literally said that my whole jaw might've stayed the same while the upper part grew (Although this could be genetic). I've never had extractions so I doubt it got more narrow, even if I mouth breathed I don't think that narrows it.
I don't think it's cope, we would practically all look better if we grew up with tongue/lip/buccal ties instantly removed, breastfed for 2+ years, surgery if necessary, taught and practicing perfect posture/mewing from birth, etc. with zero orthodontics but yes it probably is for many cause of how old they are or what they're expecting. Surgery is the answer for most.
Btw is your metal permanent retainer upper or lower and how many teeth? I have one on bottom for 6 I think, I'll double check again. Also been wearing a plastic one every night for a while now.
Got my braces removed in 2017 when they stuck a metal retainer both upper and lower 6 anterior teeth. I then spent 3 years avoiding any sort of chewing on my incisors. In 2020 I got my lower retainer removed and was due to have the upper too but never did it. I think we have very similar cases op. How is your midface and fwhr? I’m horsecel like you

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
Orthodontics ruined my life

• +1
Reactions: IhateDentists and Deleted member 19766
Got my braces removed in 2017 when they stuck a metal retainer both upper and lower 6 anterior teeth. I then spent 3 years avoiding any sort of chewing on my incisors. In 2020 I got my lower retainer removed and was due to have the upper too but never did it. I think we have very similar cases op. How is your midface and fwhr? I’m horsecel like you
Fwhr is pretty high cause I have very wide cheekbones. Like 2+. Midface is like 0.9-0.95 I think.

Fwhr is pretty high cause I have very wide cheekbones. Like 2+. Midface is like 0.9-0.95 I think.
Is your es ratio low? Im 1.8 fwhr and 0.93 mfr from 1-2 meters away

• +1
Reactions: Elvisandreaa
after taking braces off (around middle of high school I think) dentist gave me a retainer to wear at all times. I didn't really wore it. at the beginning I only wore at nights (during sleeping) and after some time I stopped completely. when I tried them later it was hard to put on and they gave my teeth unbearable pain after few hours, they squeeze teeth super hard.

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: KingBetaTut
bumping this

should i get rid of my permanent retainers? anyway of keeping teeth straight after?

Luckily I had a blackpilled orthodontist growing up and she fitted me with one of these to widen my palate.

expander-1024x732.png

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Brucepsyco and 2d v2
yea if you are too lazy to mew wear your retainer at night. I had a palatal expander that I had made from a german ortho website, which kept my maxilla good at night. Unfortunately on christmas I lost it somewhere now ill have to order a new one or cope with a slightly narrower palate.

• Love it
bumping this

should i get rid of my permanent retainers? anyway of keeping teeth straight after?
4-tooth permanent wire retainer on the front teeth on both top and bottom are OK

• +1
Reactions: Solar
yea if you are too lazy to mew wear your retainer at night. I had a palatal expander that I had made from a german ortho website, which kept my maxilla good at night. Unfortunately on christmas I lost it somewhere now ill have to order a new one or cope with a slightly narrower palate.
How much was it and would you recommend it to others? It was basically MSE right?

How much was it and would you recommend it to others? It was basically MSE right?
no mse is screwed into your skull mine was a blue active plate expander and sure i guess i would reccomend it if someone has a narrow palate

my palate was like 48mms, lost a bit because i cant mew at night and dont really want to in the day time

• +1
4-tooth permanent wire retainer on the front teeth on both top and bottom are OK
I have 6 tooth

guess I will have 2 on both sides removed

• +1
oh how mch was it? like 180 USD on the website braceshop

• Hmm...
no mse is screwed into your skull mine was a blue active plate expander and sure i guess i would reccomend it if someone has a narrow palate

my palate was like 48mms, lost a bit because i cant mew at night and dont really want to in the day time
I don't know a single person who can mew at night tbh it's almost impossible
And oh OK thanks I might get it then, does it only work if you are still in puberty or something? I feel like there's a catch to it because if there wasn't then everyone here would be doing that instead of MSE

I don't know a single person who can mew at night tbh it's almost impossible
And oh OK thanks I might get it then, does it only work if you are still in puberty or something? I feel like there's a catch to it because if there wasn't then everyone here would be doing that instead of MSE
its not gonna give you the sheer power of skeletal expansion, it might stretch the palatal bone a bit, but not without consequences. the teeth will be pushed out further and further, and if you push it too far, they will go right through the gums .

• Hmm...