CCW BSSO only or combined with TAD's? (summoning knowledgeable users)

looksordietrying

looksordietrying

One Bimax Away
First post btw don't judge me.
So I was talking to a surgeon about fixing my deep overbite, said I should do BSSO only, as my maxilla is good. So just some lower jaw advancement with a few degrees of CCW rotation, which will also supposedly fix my antegonial notch and asymmetry (lifefuel).
Probably going to ascend after this procedure because my relatively short mandible is my only failo (jaw width and jawline visibilty is great regardless).

On to the question tho, surgeon told me you can CCW rotate the maxilla non-surgically as well with the help of temporary anchorage devices, as it is minimally downswung (it's actually minimal, no gummy smile whatsoever, but I'd benefit from a little bit of rotation), my only concern is that they might recess my maxilla. Do they actually do that, or is it genuinely just pulling up the front teeth to be closer to the nose?
And should I go for BSSO only or use TAD's as well?

Going to consult with another surgeon next week, so I'll see what he says and will update on this.

• +1
Reactions: DelonLover1999
By deep overbite do you mean overjet + deep bite? Cause if so, then I believe CCW rotation on the mandible will require some sort of movement of the maxilla as well, in order for the bite to fit properly.

By deep overbite do you mean overjet + deep bite? Cause if so, then I believe CCW rotation on the mandible will require some sort of movement of the maxilla as well, in order for the bite to fit properly.
nah sorry if i didnt properly explain, my teeth dont flare at all, just deepbite and my mandible just isn't long enough to fit properly unless i jut, so deep overbite. I'm also not sure how the surgeon expects to ccw rotate the mandible without rotating the maxilla. Will ask for more info soon.

• +1
nah sorry if i didnt properly explain, my teeth dont flare at all, just deepbite and my mandible just isn't long enough to fit properly unless i jut, so deep overbite. I'm also not sure how the surgeon expects to ccw rotate the mandible without rotating the maxilla. Will ask for more info soon.
so basically you have the same thing as me: an otherwise ok maxilla (no gummy smile), a mandible that's not long enough (which implies overjet) and a vertical deep bite.

I too am looking into getting BSSO only, mainly because of the easier recovery and because lefort 1 could end up dogmaxxing me.
But I'm probably not going to be getting any CCW on the mandible with BSSO alone, unless this technique which your surgeon has pointed out is legit and viable in my case too.

As for the antegonial notch, I don't think it's a bad thing per se, so dw if it doesn't go away tbh. It adds a bit of dimorphism and some lower third angularity from the front too, depending on your masseter insertions.

so basically you have the same thing as me: an otherwise ok maxilla (no gummy smile), a mandible that's not long enough (which implies overjet) and a vertical deep bite.

I too am looking into getting BSSO only, mainly because of the easier recovery and because lefort 1 could end up dogmaxxing me.
But I'm probably not going to be getting any CCW on the mandible with BSSO alone, unless this technique which your surgeon has pointed out is legit and viable in my case too.

As for the antegonial notch, I don't think it's a bad thing per se, so dw if it doesn't go away tbh. It adds a bit of dimorphism and some lower third angularity from the front too, depending on your masseter inser
Yea the antegonial notch looks quite good/dimorphic from the front, it just cucks my side hard because the mandible appears less forward and the left notch is steeper than the right one.
I'll update you as soon as i know more about the technique for the BSSO :chad:

• +1