CT scan in US

longjohnmong

longjohnmong

Kraken
Anyone have any tips for getting CT (not CBCT) in US for an affordable price? I have an order for CT of full face and keep getting told that the facility doesn't do that study or that I need a procedure code. Did anyone else run into this issue? I'm pretty sure I could go to some hospital, but then I'll get charged $1000 for something these smaller places are doing for $200. Why is US medical system so fucking dogshit? Scan my fucking face. Seems straightforward enough.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766 and Deleted member 23314
Yea US is dogshit move to Canada and wait 2 years for a CT scan instead

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
Do any bimax surgeons do these as part of initial consultation

nah not initially, but they def do that. Pagnoni f.e. first talks to u and then u gotta fly to Italy, where he makes a scan

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18582
If you just need bimax then they might be able to work off of a CBCT, which some have in-office and probably do as part of consultation. But if you need custom implants then you need CT scan and I doubt any maxfacs have that equipment, unless they're in a hospital, or it's like LACOMS or Alfaro, because I'm guessing you need an actual radiology tech to operate those.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18582
Does anyone know CPT code for full face CT scan - 70480 or 70486? These fucking idiots are vague as shit with their descriptions.

Do you have health insurance? I got a 3D CT scan that was prescribed by a plastic surgeon a few months ago, and my health insurance ended up covering it, surprisingly (I paid ~$278 out of the $1000 total).

• +1
Reactions: longjohnmong
Do you have health insurance? I got a 3D CT scan that was prescribed by a plastic surgeon a few months ago, and my health insurance ended up covering it, surprisingly (I paid ~$278 out of the $1000 total).
No, I don't.

Anyone have any tips for getting CT (not CBCT) in US for an affordable price? I have an order for CT of full face and keep getting told that the facility doesn't do that study or that I need a procedure code. Did anyone else run into this issue? I'm pretty sure I could go to some hospital, but then I'll get charged $1000 for something these smaller places are doing for $200. Why is US medical system so fucking dogshit? Scan my fucking face. Seems straightforward enough.
(2nd comment)

$1000 is the price a lot of private clinics will give you for a scan. From what I've heard, a hospital will generally charge you a lot more.

No, I don't.
No health insurance? Then you're screwed. You'll pay out of pocket, and it will probably be around $1000 at a private clinic (more expensive at a hospital).

No health insurance? Then you're screwed. You'll pay out of pocket, and it will probably be around $1000 at a private clinic (more expensive at a hospital).
A couple places I've called have been like $200. It's just that they don't do that particular scan, which makes no sense to me. Isn't it just some basic shit? They can scan your brain, but not your facial bones?

Have consult with maxfac: ~ 200
Then have them send over a referral for the proper scan to a local imaging clinic (make sure the clinic offers the correct type of scan before having the referral sent over)
Then self-pay or insurance at the clinic, should be in the 250-500 range

Even worst case on prices you should be under 1k when all said and done

Last edited:
A couple places I've called have been like $200. It's just that they don't do that particular scan, which makes no sense to me. Isn't it just some basic shit? They can scan your brain, but not your facial bones?
It depends on what kind of scan you need. You should call the clinics to clarify that the prescribed scan is something they offer. There are different kind of scans for different body parts.