Do you need degree in programming to find a job?

TsarTsar444

TsarTsar444

Asexual peaceful balkan monk
Just finish with my med school finals now and instead of ldaring for 2 months im thinking of teaching myself to code in c++ but would it be worth it without a degree for a job opportunity?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12248, Deleted member 18890, Deleted member 13787 and 3 others
Most likely yes

Last edited:
C++ is a pain in the ass, start with Python instead or you'll never want to code again

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18890, fauxfox, justinzayn and 4 others
C++ is a pain in the ass, start with Python instead or you'll never want to code again
But i heard python is a meme and employers don't like it

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18890, Deleted member 13787, Kingcel32 and 1 other person
It's perhaps the most useful language for people who aren't hardline programmers

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18890, justinzayn, rand anon and 4 others
It's perhaps the most useful language for people who aren't hardline programmers
Yes but am balkan and i can suffer with learning c++, just gonna take meth and grind it for a week

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, rand anon, Kingcel32 and 2 others
Yes but am balkan and i can suffer with learning c++, just gonna take meth and grind it for a week
C++ syntax sucks fat dick and not very beginner friendly.

• +1
Reactions: rand anon and TsarTsar444
learn Python, C++ is pretty niche nowdays. And no. You dont need any degree. There is a dev shortage worldwide and your employer couldnt care less about you having some useless degree. He wants you just to code useful shit.

• +1
Reactions: thereallegend, koalendo, rand anon and 4 others
You can't even imagine how much stuff can be done in Python, unless you're going to be working for Rockstar games on the new GTA 6, then you're gonna be fine with Python

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Rt-Rust1 and TsarTsar444
Cope tbh
I had to learn C++ back in high school and it's intolerable unless you are highly functioning autist I wanted to rope while I was at it
Python is much closer to the human mind , it's much more pleasant to use

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: rand anon, Rt-Rust1, TsarTsar444 and 1 other person
You can't even imagine how much stuff can be done in Python, unless you're going to be working for Rockstar games on the new GTA 6, then you're gonna be fine with Python
So you saying learning c++ is that powerful? With great power comes great responsibility ngl :dafuckfeels::dafuckfeels::dafuckfeels:, the sacrifice seems worth

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and Bitch
Cope tbh
I had to learn C++ back in high school and it's intolerable unless you are highly functioning autist I wanted to rope while I was at it
I had a D for C++ class in high school, all the other subjects were A by the end, i was that bad at C++ :forcedsmile:. But i saw some 30 hour long video tutorials on learning c++ completely so im questioning if i should give it a shot

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and Prettyboy
you can fraud rep with python so just learn that i g

• JFL
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, thecel and gamma
Learn c if you really want to learn the code closest to the machine and have a genuine interest in computer science. Else, learn python for practical purposes.

• +1
Reactions: buckchadley31
I had a D for C++ class in high school, all the other subjects were A by the end, i was that bad at C++ :forcedsmile:. But i saw some 30 hour long video tutorials on learning c++ completely so im questioning if i should give it a shot
Why bother
Even if you spent your next 10 years studying C++ an Asian aspie in kindergarten would still be a better programmer than you

• +1
  • JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: one job away, gamma, PubertyMaxxer and 4 others
Cope tbh
Did you go to a CS secondary school? I regret not going, I went to a regular high school (called gymnasium in Europe). This was the only route to go to law college, but I dropped out of this high school because shit was so difficult and I didn't listen to Zoom conferences we had, especially math was hard as fuck. I just slept instead.

I switched my high school to an ecology secondary school that I'm currently going to and it's easy as fuck, I don't even have to study and I have more free time.

I could have just went to a CS secondary school and get employed as a software engineer after 4 years and instantly become upper middle class by income, meanwhile my classmates from high school would have to go to college for the next 7 years to become doctors and shit.

Now with my degree in ecology I can only work for my dad because this degree is literally worthless :lul: :forcedsmile:

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, TsarTsar444, Rt-Rust1 and 1 other person
Knowing a language wont get you hired you have to make projects with the language that are good enough for employers to care
https://github.com/ossu/computer-science this learning outline has a very good reputation for obtaining all the skills of a cs degree without getting the degree

But i saw some 30 hour long video tutorials on learning c++ completely so im questioning if i should give it a shot
30 hour long youtube video are usually shit if you want to learn c++ these book recommendations are pretty good https://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854, Elvisandreaa, Kmscurry and 1 other person
Did you go to a CS secondary school? I regret not going, I went to a regular high school (called gymnasium in Europe). This was the only route to go to law college, but I dropped out of this high school because shit was so difficult and I didn't listen to Zoom conferences we had, especially math was hard as fuck. I just slept instead.

I switched my high school to an ecology secondary school that I'm currently going to and it's easy as fuck, I don't even have to study and I have more free time.

I could have just went to a CS secondary school and get employed as a software engineer after 4 years and instantly become upper middle class by income, meanwhile my classmates from high school would have to go to college for the next 7 years to become doctors and shit.

Now with my degree in ecology I can only work for my dad because this degree is literally worthless :lul: :forcedsmile:
I attended a gymnasium with advanced level math, CS and phyisics
I planned to go into STEM

Ecology is a shitty field ngl, one of the last ones I'd think of going into

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer and Bitch
How long to learn python or js in order to be employable?

I went into medical secondary school, good decision i did cause now im a nurse by practise while my friends that did gymnasium are jobless right now and alcoholics :dafuckfeels:

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, thereallegend and Bitch
Knowing a language wont get you hired you have to make projects with the language that are good enough for employers to care
https://github.com/ossu/computer-science this learning outline has a very good reputation for obtaining all the skills of a cs degree without getting the degree

30 hour long youtube video are usually shit if you want to learn c++ these book recommendations are pretty good https://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
So that github thing is legit for learning fully to code in c++?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
So that github thing is legit for learning fully to code in c++?
No the github thing is for learning computer science. Programming languages are just tools for computer scientists to use. There are parts where you can choose your programming language and parts where you have to use a specific one.

• +1
Reactions: thereallegend

It's extremely shitty, most people from this school become minimum wage wageslaves, but I didn't have many other options. I could either switch to an easier school or fail an entire grade and then repeat it, which I tried to avoid because I knew I couldn't make it and I'd be ashamed to still be at the same school and known as the guy who had to repeat a grade, and I would have most likely failed the finals because I was like the 2nd worst student in math.

Never studied math or cared for it either, in gymnasium I had Fs, now in my ecology school I have Cs without studying, I get Bs if I start studying one day before the exam

• So Sad
Reactions: Prettyboy
It's extremely shitty, most people from this school become minimum wage wageslaves, but I didn't have many other options. I could either switch to an easier school or fail an entire grade and then repeat it, which I tried to avoid because I knew I couldn't make it and I'd be ashamed to still be at the same school and known as the guy who had to repeat a grade, and I would have most likely failed the finals because I was like the 2nd worst student in math.

Never studied math or cared for it either, in gymnasium I had Fs, now in my ecology school I have Cs without studying, I get Bs if I start studying one day before the exam
how much is math correlated with coding skills?
cause i think math is the single thing ive been gifted in in my life
i get As barely studying

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer and Toth's thot
Python is an irrelevant crutch for low paid monkeys.

You will make a calculator crash a top end PC

If you don’t start with a base in mathematics and x86 assembly you will never be a top level coder

how much is math correlated with coding skills?
cause i think math is the single thing ive been gifted in in my life
i get As barely studying
Math is important for computer science and specific areas of programming, like graphics and video game engine design. I'd say it's pretty important. Studying math directly increases your reasoning and logic skills that are both imperative for development

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer and Deleted member 13787
I went into medical secondary school, good decision i did cause now im a nurse by practise while my friends that did gymnasium are jobless right now and alcoholics :dafuckfeels:
Med school and a nurse ? Not a doctor ?

Cope tbh
Low IQ trait. Nobody here will ever pass a $100k salary unless they know real programming. I get paid $350k and am treated as a magician by my company for knowing raw assembly language and writing C.

• JFL
Reactions: gamma

Fuck man my highschool offered either Computer Science or German language and guess what i chose :soy:

Wish i could turn back the clock and I'd already have 5 years of secondary school CS experience whereas now i have absolutely none. I don't even know what's the point of Linux and all that basic shit.

@LooksOverAll

Last edited:
  • Woah
Just finish with my med school finals now and instead of ldaring for 2 months im thinking of teaching myself to code in c++ but would it be worth it without a degree for a job opportunity?
Yeah but you need to be good and it might take a year to find an actual job.

College degree allows you to fraud coding even if your not good some company will hire you.

If you want FANG companies, you won’t get past the resume screen without working experience and a degree

• Woah
If you want FANG companies, you won’t get past the resume screen without working experience and a degree
No it's all about being an Ivy league graduate

• Hmm...
C++ is probably the hardest programming language to use in practice its so bloated with features that get added every few years. Companies specially want knowledge of these features (template metaprogramming for example) because they maximise performance which is the whole reason c++ is used in the first place. Unless you are going into game development or quantitive finance learn Rust if you want a modern alternative to high performace language its growing in demand (although not much demand at the moment) and is voted the most loved programming language every year.

Last edited:
No. Market is bad rn.

And even if it wasn’t. The only people who get into tech who didn’t study and are successful are prodigy’s who are smarter than the teachers or who had several years of work related training. If you have a med degree don’t waste it. Unless you are exceptional there is no point wasting that for tech

No. Market is bad rn.

And even if it wasn’t. The only people who get into tech who didn’t study and are successful are prodigy’s who are smarter than the teachers or who had several years of work related training. If you have a med degree don’t waste it. Unless you are exceptional there is no point wasting that for tech
Cope. In the UK at least, there are programs for people who want to switch to tech. I am in one rn.

• +1
Reactions: koalendo
No. Market is bad rn.

I am a povertycel though. But it will be worth it in the end.

Depends on where you live.

You're a doctor and you wanna learn programming?

• JFL
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Learn Javascript over Python imo, without a degree you'll likely be a webdev and Javascript is what's used there, Python should be your 2nd language though after Javascript.

• +1
Reactions: koalendo