does mse damage roots and rot teeth

S

sub5inchcel

Kraken
angion method if u rlly sub 5 btw

• +1
Reactions: sub5inchcel
It all depends on the resistance of your maxilla. If there's no resistance and you have it surgically assisted then you should see true maxillary expansion. Sadly MSE doesn't provide true maxillary expansion and after some time you'll see screw tipping and all of the expansion that you'll see is dental. This is because as you keep turning the "expansion" needs to go somewhere and when the bone resists then the expansion goes into the teeth through the molar bands that are attached. The bands will dig into the gum and damage them while also pushing your teeth outwards.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and sub5inchcel
It all depends on the resistance of your maxilla. If there's no resistance and you have it surgically assisted then you should see true maxillary expansion. Sadly MSE doesn't provide true maxillary expansion and after some time you'll see screw tipping and all of the expansion that you'll see is dental. This is because as you keep turning the "expansion" needs to go somewhere and when the bone resists then the expansion goes into the teeth through the molar bands that are attached. The bands will dig into the gum and damage them while also pushing your teeth outwards.
im under 20 does this still apply?

im under 20 does this still apply?
Every person is unique, I don't know how resistant your MPS is. Generally, the MPS ossifies at age 12-13 in boys. Some have reported great success with MSE post this age but generally you'll be met with lots of resistance in the posterior parts of the maxilla, specifically the PNS. If you can have your pterygomaxillary sutures weakened or completely loosened somehow then you shall see great success. Good luck :p

Last edited:
  • +1
MSE can be traumatic to teeth. If you cut off blood flow to alveolar bone you can get tooth resorption, receding gums etc. But these aren't that common in MSE treatments.

• +1
Technically the sutures in maxilla close at 60-80, so there is a possibility of expansion till then. But from 9-12 onwards the other bones around the area start fusing, thus making orthodontic treatment harder. The older you get the higher the chances of tooth resorption, teeth tilting etc.

• +1
MSE can be traumatic to teeth. If you cut off blood flow to alveolar bone you can get tooth resorption, receding gums etc. But these aren't that common in MSE treatments.
is artificial teth option that bad compared to nronal teeth, assuming it goes badly

• +1
Reactions: SoonToAscend
is artificial teth option that bad compared to nronal teeth, assuming it goes badly
People live with it. But just go to good ortho that is knowledgeable about natural development of the face and has good reviews so he doesn't fuck you up. You said you were under 20 so there is hope. Where do you live?

• +1
i got tooth worn hyrax at 21 how fcked am i. no screws. ortho said i needed minimal expansion thatd be achieved by moving teeth

• +1
People live with it. But just go to good ortho that is knowledgeable about natural development of the face and has good reviews so he doesn't fuck you up. You said you were under 20 so there is hope. Where do you live?
scandinavia, brutal i doubt there is anyone here

• +1
Reactions: SoonToAscend
i got tooth worn hyrax at 21 how fcked am i
AFAIK, Hyrax expander is completely tooth-borne. All your expansion is dental and none of it is maxillary. You'll be in retainers for the remainder of your life. As soon as you don't wear your retainer during nighttime your teeth will start moving back to their initial position.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, wollet2 and sub5inchcel
AFAIK, Hyrax expander is completely tooth-borne. All your expansion is dental and none of it is maxillary. You'll be in retainers for the remainder of your life. As soon as you don't wear your retainer during nighttime your teeth will start moving back to their initial position.
any known damage to the roots by it and it relapsing? expansion was minimal

Last edited:
  • +1
any known damage to the roots by it? expansion was minimal
This is for your orthodontist to answer but since the expansion is purely dental then you could see damage to the roots as the teeth are being pushed outwards. Stuff that could follow is root resorption and gingival recession. You could also permanently weaken the alveolar bone to the extent where any additional movements will be prohibited in the future due to how weak it is.

• +1
Reactions: sub5inchcel, ChristianChad and wollet2
This is for your orthodontist to answer but since the expansion is purely dental then you could see damage to the roots as the teeth are being pushed outwards. Stuff that could follow is root resorption and gingival recession. You could also permanently weaken the alveolar bone to the extent where any additional movements will be prohibited in the future due to how weak it is.
why would the alveolar weaken? because of less root stimulating it similarly to when you get a tooth extracted?

if you can mew 24 7, you probs got good enough base to avoid mse and try ascend with hard mewing, posture, hormones

• +1
yeah perhaps u are late bloomer also, and penis will grow naturally

• +1
bonesmash also if you wanna do that, maybe mouthguard to prevent rattle/ careful on under eye area

• +1
why would the alveolar weaken? because of less root stimulating it similarly to when you get a tooth extracted?
Because you are weakning it by extruding all the "expansion" or "forces" straightly into the teeth.

• +1
out of curiosity, how frequently u fap?

• JFL
Reactions: Silver
Because you are weakning it by extruding all the "expansion" or "forces" straightly into the teeth.
doesnt that stop when you stop expanding? i assume it depends on how much you expand and how fast?

can you elab on this?
You could also permanently weaken the alveolar bone to the extent where any additional movements will be prohibited in the future due to how weak it is.
no future braces? tooth implants prohibited ? what you do in that case

• +1

shi, should i not towel pull if ive had extractions? this me

@Silver dumb but will chewing mastic gum all day strengthen my alveolar / prevent it from weakening?

over

• +1
doesnt that stop when you stop expanding? i assume it depends on how much you expand and how fast?

can you elab on this?
You could also permanently weaken the alveolar bone to the extent where any additional movements will be prohibited in the future due to how weak it is.
no future braces? tooth implants prohibited ? what you do in that case
When you extrude all the expansion solely dentally, you can come to tip the teeth with expansion. As this happens your alveolar bone will become more thin as it is malleable and remodels according to the position of the teeth. With time and adjusting to the new position of the teeth it'll become thinner. When it becomes thinner you are now restricted in how much you can alter your teeth.

For you right now you have two ways of damaging your teeth as your expansion isn't skeletal. You can either damage the alveolar bone or the teeth themselves OR you damage both of these two.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: ChristianChad, sub5inchcel and wollet2
When you extrude all the expansion solely dentally, you can come to tip the teeth with expansion. As this happens your alveolar bone will become more thin as it is malleable and remodels according to the position of the teeth. With time and adjusting to the new position of the teeth it'll become thinner. When it becomes thinner you are now restricted in how much you can alter your teeth.

For you right now you have two ways of damaging your teeth as your expansion isn't skeletal. You can either damage the alveolar bone or the teeth themselves OR you damage both of these two.
any way to mitigate possible damage?

my back teeth hurt when i removed the hyrax

• So Sad
Reactions: Silver
any way to mitigate possible damage?
Not that I'm aware of, maybe lift these possible outcomes with the orthodontist. They know more than me, they'll be more helpful in most cases.

• +1
Reactions: wollet2
Not that I'm aware of, maybe lift these possible outcomes with the orthodontist. They know more than me, they'll be more helpful in most cases.
ok thank you. chewing is useless right? i mean you apply a force to the bone when you bite no? i take k2 mk4

over

ok thank you. chewing is useless right? i mean you apply a force to the bone when you bite no? i take k2 mk4

over
I can't see it benefitting your teeth or bone structure in anyway. Sure it could lead to masseter hypertrophy if that's what you're looking for.

• So Sad
Reactions: wollet2
will a ct scan reveal if alveolar bone is weakened. also the teeth roots condition

• +1
will a ct scan reveal if alveolar bone is weakened. also the teeth roots condition
Yes a CT scan can show the "thickness" of your alveolar bone. Roots are usually looked at intraorally by a live examiner.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and wollet2
@Silver lastly, is it normal for the teeth that the rings were placed to to hurt a bit when biting for a few days after removing the device

ortho said itll go away and its better now

Yes a CT scan can show the "thickness" of your alveolar bone. Roots are usually looked at intraorally by a live examiner.
in my xrays my roots seemed long and deep looking at them from layman pov. thats good or cant tell much?

@Silver lastly, is it normal for the teeth that the rings were placed to to hurt a bit when biting for a few days after removing the device

ortho said itll go away and its better now
The teeth that had the HYRAX expander was anchored to are most likely inflammed. They've been under a lot of stress during the expansion and they have probably seen some damage to their gum. Also for you as the patient it must've been hard to clean that area so there's the possibility of bacteria present at that location. Could be 100 different reasons as to why you are having pain in that area. I'd trust your ortho more than I'd trust me. Right now I'm just listing possible causes for your pain.

Like your ortho stated, it is most likely something temporary.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and wollet2
hey trully sth last. not to do with expansion but whats your opinion on this. could it indicate similar alv bone recovery after tooth borne expanders. theyre basically more harsh braces

"However, after a period of bone recovery, the reduced bone density recovered to its previous state from before the orthodontic treatment. However, the bone density around ∼10% of the teeth in this region could not recover to 80% of its state from before the orthodontic treatment."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26962841/

i also had braces for years bcuz of shit first ortho, then i entered uni switched city and rotted with old braces in fml

what if i have slow expansion does that affect anything?

@Silver do you believe leaving braces the same for years (no tightening) is less harmful than regular tightening in the same time span?

not counting difficulty cleaning and problems that can rise from that. just purely the force applied to the teeth, roots moving and alv weakening