does mse damage roots and rot teeth

S

sub5inchcel

Kraken
i wrote such a long reply and it got deleted :woke::woke::woke::woke::woke::woke::woke::woke::woke:

• +1
Reactions: sub5inchcel
@Silver do you believe leaving braces the same for years (no tightening) is less harmful than regular tightening in the same time span?

not counting difficulty cleaning and problems that can rise from that. just purely the force applied to the teeth, roots moving and alv weakening
why would you have braces for years with no tightening tho?

It all depends on the resistance of your maxilla. If there's no resistance and you have it surgically assisted then you should see true maxillary expansion. Sadly MSE doesn't provide true maxillary expansion and after some time you'll see screw tipping and all of the expansion that you'll see is dental. This is because as you keep turning the "expansion" needs to go somewhere and when the bone resists then the expansion goes into the teeth through the molar bands that are attached. The bands will dig into the gum and damage them while also pushing your teeth outwards.
. "If there's no resistance and you have it surgically assisted then you should see true maxillary expansion. Sadly MSE doesn't provide true maxillary expansion and after some time you'll see screw tipping and all of the expansion that you'll see is dental"

1. what does it mean that it doesnt provide true macillar expansion, its a bone anchored maxilla expqnder, it should expand the maxilla rigth?

2. what does it mean that the expansion is dental? why isnt it skeletal? will i not see cheekbone widening, ipd change, lip wodth and what other changes there is from eider maxilla?

hey trully sth last. not to do with expansion but whats your opinion on this. could it indicate similar alv bone recovery after tooth borne expanders. theyre basically more harsh braces

"However, after a period of bone recovery, the reduced bone density recovered to its previous state from before the orthodontic treatment. However, the bone density around ∼10% of the teeth in this region could not recover to 80% of its state from before the orthodontic treatment."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26962841/

i also had braces for years bcuz of shit first ortho, then i entered uni switched city and rotted with old braces in fml
This study refers to braces, something that I lack knowledge in. Braces don't even compare themselves to expanders. In braces you are "expanding" or moving your teeth around 1mm per month meanwhile sometimes you expand up to 1mm a day with expanders. The study speaks for itself, you are able to regain "lost" ground because braces don't expand or move the teeth as much and as fast as palatal expanders do.
what if i have slow expansion does that affect anything?
No clue, I've heard of slow expansion devices but I don't believe these are used in adult patients. There's ways to maintain your current expansion by turning the device and then turning it back to make sure you prevent the midpalatal suture from ossifying. This way you can "extend" and make the expansion "slower". If this is possible in practice, idk..
@Silver do you believe leaving braces the same for years (no tightening) is less harmful than regular tightening in the same time span?

not counting difficulty cleaning and problems that can rise from that. just purely the force applied to the teeth, roots moving and alv weakening
No clue, should be a question aimed at your orthodontist. Just tell them you are worried about causing irreversible damage to your alveolar bone.
. "If there's no resistance and you have it surgically assisted then you should see true maxillary expansion. Sadly MSE doesn't provide true maxillary expansion and after some time you'll see screw tipping and all of the expansion that you'll see is dental"

1. what does it mean that it doesnt provide true macillar expansion, its a bone anchored maxilla expqnder, it should expand the maxilla rigth?

2. what does it mean that the expansion is dental? why isnt it skeletal? will i not see cheekbone widening, ipd change, lip wodth and what other changes there is from eider maxilla?
1. Even though it's anchored to the palate you are still going to be met with resistance in your maxilla. When you keep turning the device and the midpalatal suture is unwilling to give in then you're just causing the device to start tipping as the device keeps "expanding" but the maxilla isn't going with it.

2. Dental means you are pushing the teeth out, skeletal means you are expanding your maxilla (the goal of any palatal expansion). Refer to answer 1 for why you don't get skeletal expansion. It has to do with how malleable your maxilla is, for example if you've had corticopuncture or if you've had the pterygomaxillary sutures weakened etc.. Only if you have skeletal expansion will you see gains in the departments you are talking about such as "cheekbone widening" and potential "ipd change".

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: wollet2, ChristianChad and sub5inchcel