Does Weightlifting Really Decrease Height?

S

samskeyti

Iron
I know a lot of people make fun of this claim but i've seen so many discussions about this one. Lifting weights, especially moves that contain axial loading such as squats and bench press can actually compress your spine repetitively. As far as I know spinal compression can shorten you around an inch. Do you know anything about this?

• +1
Reactions: Mr.Proper
Yes but is temporarily.

Yeah squats do make you shorter temporarily, but don't worry, once you complete the rep and get back up you'll be the same height again.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: boss8055 and Ricochet
Wouldn't this effect accumulate in the long term resulting in a shortening? I've seen many posts about it in different sports forums.

What made you have a legitmate reason for Bench press being one of the spinal decompressed excerise's and not look at deadlift's ???

BENCH PRESS = laying on a bench

deadlift and squat's= overload stress on all part's of your vetebrate's

think's bench press compresse's your spine:

ok mate

• +1
Reactions: Lawton88
I know a lot of people make fun of this claim but i've seen so many discussions about this one. Lifting weights, especially moves that contain axial loading such as squats and bench press can actually compress your spine repetitively. As far as I know spinal compression can shorten you around an inch. Do you know anything about this?

Heavy squats and Deadlifts will take some height. Probably around a half inch.

What made you have a legitmate reason for Bench press being one of the spinal decompressed excerise's and not look at deadlift's ???

BENCH PRESS = laying on a bench

deadlift and squat's= overload stress on all part's of your vetebrate's

think's bench press compresse's your spine:

ok mate
I already know deadlifts are problematic. I just didn't want the post to be lengthy. Bench press still does exert some spine pressing effects on your body. You can check it.