Easy Linear Periodization to Not Plateau in the Gym

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
Easy Linear Periodization to Not Plateau in the Gym

1. Start a lift at a weight that you can do 10 – 12 reps of.
  2. Increase the weight by a small amount every workout (e.g. 5 pounds). You may do fewer reps.
  3. Keep on increasing the weight (decreasing the rep count as needed) until you do a workout in which you can lift the weight only 3 reps.
  4. Restart at step 1. The new weight that you can rep 10–12 times is (hopefully) heavier than the weight you started the cycle with.

Check out my 7-day split:

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Sub0, ronald_98, delusionalretard and 1 other person
Summon the Gymmaxers

@beypazarisoda0 @Arborist @pneumocystosis @zv1212 @Glidarn @Blackgymmax @VenatorLuparius @Shieda_Kayn @longjohnmong @Ekil73_YT @Matthias8272 @Anchor_Ship

• +1
Reactions: delusionalretard
NoReplyPilled again @SecularIslamist

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: delusionalretard and SecularIslamist
bump

• Love it
Reactions: thecel
Did the admins make my tags not notify members?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ronald_98 and delusionalretard
BUMP!

• +1
Reactions: delusionalretard
So increase weight until 3 reps, then decrease weight until 12 reps.

Why would this be better than just increasing by 5 every week? I think it’s interesting I just want to understand the logic behind it

• Hmm...
I might try this, I really like this idea

• +1
So increase weight until 3 reps, then decrease weight until 12 reps.

Don’t gradually decrease the weight until 12 reps. Gradually increase the weight by 5 lb per workout (or per week) from 12-rep-max to 3-rep-max, and sharply decrease the weight to your new (higher) 12-rep-max.

* -rep-max here is used very loosely. You don’t have to go all the way to failure. “-rep-max” refers to a weight that has your desired RPE for the number of reps.

Why would this be better than just increasing by 5 every week? I think it’s interesting I just want to understand the logic behind it

Cus if your genetics aren’t elite, you’ll soon not be able to increase by 5 every week. So you can do linear periodization where you increase something (load) while decreasing something else (reps), in a cyclical fashion.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20631 and delusionalretard
Don’t gradually decrease the weight until 12 reps. Gradually increase the weight by 5 lb per workout (or per week) from 12-rep-max to 3-rep-max, and sharply decrease the weight to your new (higher) 12-rep-max.

* -rep-max here is used very loosely. You don’t have to go all the way to failure. “-rep-max” refers to a weight that has your desired RPE for the number of reps.

Cus if your genetics aren’t elite, you’ll soon not be able to increase by 5 every week. So you can do linear periodization where you increase something (load) while decreasing something else (reps), in a cyclical fashion.
Thanks for explaining, I’ll try this and if I like it I’ll stick to it.

• +1
boom

• Woah
Reactions: Crusile