Facial features in autistic people include large wide eyes, full lips and short philtrum

Xangsane

Xangsane

jova

I've read two studies done on identifying facial features associated with Aspergers/Autism. I think I posted on another thread and will have to look. But from memory these were some features they thought they had evidence of showing in the autistic population more then NT population (note 'more' not 'always'):

-Larger eyes
-Eyes wider apart
-Shorter distance between nose and top lip
-Large Lips
-Larger top half of head
-Small tufting in spots at hairline

The above, particularly concerning eyes is believed to come closer to child proportions and may contribute to the youthful appearance. The features are not at all displeasing to the eye and may also contribute to some better then average looks, though this is very subjective. The features also do not deviate from norms enough to be very noticeable. They are more subtle. There are not enough studies and repeated ones to call it established. At this point they are suggestive and need more verification. It is good to also mention that just as autism comes in a range so might the features, and far from all have them. There is just a significantly higher prevalence found in the studies.
I have always had faces as a special interest and my personal observation is that ASD women have a bit more attractive facial features on average then NT ones. Most of that belief is based on the many facial pictures posted here. Now that is very subjective, and based only on about a 100-200 sample, but I would be willing to bet on it.
What I found on whether the faces are more asymmetrical was conflicting/non-conclusive.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Iblamejordan
-Larger eyes
-Eyes wider apart
-Large Lips
-Larger top half of head
I have all of these, except I have a large philtrum and asymmetry (although I cant tell how noticeable it is, if it's just because I can see it, or if it's really noticeable irl).

im kinda autistic but i have low ipd and a long philtrum jfl literally over

Besides the foundational physiological things there that aren't really understood, developmental things like hobbies (lack of coordination, bad socializing, disinterest, sensitivity to discomfort, etc. = poor athleticism/poor exercise) and the big outlying one severe pickiness and limited diet that can influence a lot of things.

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall and A23ghskung
Besides the foundational physiological things there that aren't really understood, developmental things like hobbies (lack of coordination, bad socializing, disinterest, sensitivity to discomfort, etc. = poor athleticism/poor exercise) and the big outlying one severe pickiness and limited diet that can influence a lot of things.
I have basically everything there, but what's in bold is basically x1000.

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane
so vinnie hacker is autistic

I have basically everything there, but what's in bold is basically x1000.
Seems to be a common trait, textures especially. There even used to be a reality show about it but autism isn't always to blame. Might just be a primal thing to stick to what you know is good.

• +1
Reactions: Graham
I have all of these, except I have a large philtrum and asymmetry (although I cant tell how noticeable it is, if it's just because I can see it, or if it's really noticeable irl).
I have most of these facial traits...

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Graham

• JFL
Reactions: mike21 and Xangsane
-Larger eyes
-Eyes wider apart
-Large Lips
-Larger top half of head

I have average PFL 32mm, average IPD 64mm, low 0.44 ESR, average distance between nose and top lip 15mm, small lips, narrow temples compared to my zygos and a Norwood 1 hairline.

I have recently realised my face is extremely asymmetrical due to a twisting in the maxilla.

So I guess I don’t have the standard autism features despite having a childhood diagnosis.

Poor athleticism is not symptomatic either, look at Arborist.

• +1
Reactions: Orc and Xangsane
I have average PFL 32mm, average IPD 64mm, low 0.44 ESR, average distance between nose and top lip 15mm, small lips, narrow temples compared to my zygos and a Norwood 1 hairline.

I have recently realised my face is extremely asymmetrical due to a twisting in the maxilla.

So I guess I don’t have the standard autism features despite having a childhood diagnosis.

Poor athleticism is not symptomatic either, look at Arborist.
@Arborist

-Larger eyes
my eyes are 35mm~ but they don't look particularly big because they're very deep set and my skull is rather large.
-Eyes wider apart
slightly, but I think it's just because I have an abnormally developed brow.
my philtrum is flat and too long but I'm getting it fixed soon.
-Large Lips
my lower lip is quite large, the upper not so much, mouth is also abnormally narrow.
-Larger top half of head
my cranium is rather narrow but my forehead is quite wide, most of my size in the forward growth of the lower halves of the face and my brow.
hair has grown in a wide v shape since birth.

my face is also quite symmetrical, with the only differences being only skin deep, like the lips, hair pattern, and scars.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: marek937 and Xangsane