High IQcels HELP! Downward growth question

D

Deleted member 19766

Kraken
So downward growth will cause vertical maxillary excess, right? Which means a gummy smile. I am def downward grown and am pretty sure I have a gummy smile yet my surgeon doesn't think I need a vertical anterior impaction, if I recall I think he's actually DOWNGRAFTING ME definitely posteriorly (This makes sense I think cause the back of my palate is very high up) and I think anteriorly a tiny bit too. I know the teeth move down a bit too with advancement which could make it even more necessary.

Can you be downward grown without a gummy smile/vertical maxillary excess??

• Woah
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer
im dumb so bumo

• +1
Reactions: niqfan625 and distortionsd
there's more than one type of down-growth and usually they're not problematic unless it's excessive.

your issues might be unrelated, you can have bad teeth and be downgrown, or have great teeth and still be downgrown.

• +1
Reactions: sportsmogger, IMOGYOU and Deleted member 19766
I have a deep bite and I don't have a gummy smile. Not sure if that's what you mean tho.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766 and bradpittshairline
I am def downward grown and am pretty sure I have a gummy smile
Wouldn’t it be easy to know for sure if you have gummy smile? If you want post a pic

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
You can have downgrowth without a gummy smile depending on mouth width, palate shape, and level of downward growth.

• +1
Reactions: IMOGYOU and Deleted member 19766
It can depend on mouth/lips size and placement

• +1
Generally no, unless one were to have very large teeth. Even if gum display is prevented by someone with downward growth's particular soft tissue, their midface will still be longer, reflected in either a long nose, long philtrum, or both.

Also, moving the maxilla down at the back is part of counter-clockwise rotation so your midface shouldn't lengthen too much, only anterior downward movement or clockwise rotation will lengthen it.

• +1
Generally no, unless one were to have very large teeth. Even if gum display is prevented by someone with downward growth's particular soft tissue, their midface will still be longer, reflected in either a long nose, long philtrum, or both.

Also, moving the maxilla down at the back is part of counter-clockwise rotation so your midface shouldn't lengthen too much, only anterior downward movement or clockwise rotation will lengthen it.
so should i force this surgeon to give me anterior vertical impaction

So downward growth will cause vertical maxillary excess, right? Which means a gummy smile. I am def downward grown and am pretty sure I have a gummy smile yet my surgeon doesn't think I need a vertical anterior impaction, if I recall I think he's actually DOWNGRAFTING ME definitely posteriorly (This makes sense I think cause the back of my palate is very high up) and I think anteriorly a tiny bit too. I know the teeth move down a bit too with advancement which could make it even more necessary.

Bump

• +1

the gummy smile is caused by the angle of the oclussal plane & if you get ccw rotation it wll be gone usually.

• +1
the gummy smile is caused by the angle of the oclussal plane & if you get ccw rotation it wll be gone usually.
really? never heard this before. so you dont think any impaction is necessary sometimes to eliminate a gummy smile?

really? never heard this before. so you dont think any impaction is necessary sometimes to eliminate a gummy smile?
just ccw rotation!

• +1

Bump

bruh. ik a guy who has the gummiest smile i know of and his cheekbones are high and prominent. seems like one of the best maxilla too. either your correlation wrong or the guy has top genes

• Hmm...
just ccw rotation!
what if the gums show on the side when you are smiling and laughing and not the front? do you need maxilarry impaction for that or what?

• JFL