How do you put permanent blocks and time limits on websites and be able to get around them only when you really need to?

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
I want to block and put time limits on websites and prevent myself from being able to unblock them, but I want to avoid running into a situation where I actually need to use blocked websites and I can't.

For example, let's say I set up parental controls (with a random password that I don't know) on my computer, and I made it limit my YouTube time to 30 minutes a day. This will work fine until I have school assignments that require me to watch YouTube for longer than that time limit. If I make a workaround system that allows me to extend the time, then I'd probably just extend the time every day. This already happens on my phone—I set up Screen Time limits, but I always press the "Ignore" button when the "time limit reached" screen pops up.

How do you put permanent blocks and time limits on websites that are both:
  1. not so strict that you can't access blocked sites when you have good reasons to
  2. not so easy to get around that the blocks are ineffective
?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: JamesWilken3 and St. Wristcel
Save some time for yourself son and follow in General Cho’s footsteps 👮🏻‍♂️
A0E7378E F765 499A AE15 BA090FC5B61A

• Woah
Reactions: thecel
Use a calendar, write down the task your doing, dont stop until task is done, once everything is done you can rot 10 min then go back to work, or you can PM me i will shout at you

• +1
Reactions: thecel, AutismMaxing, Need2Ascend and 1 other person
Use app called cold turkey you can block off websites during certain times of the day or set a time limit

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: thecel and ReverseNorwoodPill
Use a calendar, write down the task your doing, dont stop until task is done, once everything is done you can rot 10 min then go back to work, or you can PM me i will shout at you
Use app called cold turkey you can block off websites during certain times of the day or set a time limit
Shit like that just ain't gonna cut it. I need a system that I cannot turn off without wiping my hard drive. However, there has to be a way for me to make exceptions without the potential for abuse.

On phone:
Settings > screen time > downtime/app limits

• WTF
bro just use common sense. your proposal is impossible. "how do I permanently block off a website without doing it" my best suggestion is to get ur mom to set the password as u close ur eyes, so u have to bug her every time u want to be a lazy fuck.

• +1
Reactions: AutismMaxing and thecel
Are you in high school?

You-tube is too addictive.

It's impossible to quit tbh

• +1
I don't think you are addicted to youtube or .me, no need to place blocks.

Start doing something productive and you like doing it and boom, you will spend less time on these sites overall
I want to block and put time limits on websites and prevent myself from being able to unblock them, but I want to avoid running into a situation where I actually need to use blocked websites and I can't.

For example, let's say I set up parental controls (with a random password that I don't know) on my computer, and I made it limit my YouTube time to 30 minutes a day. This will work fine until I have school assignments that require me to watch YouTube for longer than that time limit. If I make a workaround system that allows me to extend the time, then I'd probably just extend the time every day. This already happens on my phone—I set up Screen Time limits, but I always press the "Ignore" button when the "time limit reached" screen pops up.

How do you put permanent blocks and time limits on websites that are both:
  1. not so strict that you can't access blocked sites when you have good reasons to
  2. not so easy to get around that the blocks are ineffective
?

• Woah
Start doing something productive and you like doing it and boom, you will spend less time on these sites overall
Been tryin to start for years bro

• +1
Reactions: JamesWilken3
Been tryin to start for years bro
ye same here, was useless in HS tbh

just gamed and rotted all day cause no social circle or big goals

idk, senior year realized how behind I was everyone else socially and was getting lifemogged left and right

I guess my motivation to start being productive was time is passing by and everyone else is going forward while i'm still vidyagaming like middleschool :feelswhy:

• +1