How is my gym routine?

Matheus

Matheus

Mistral
Yes this is my 2nd or 3rd post but I'm figuring a good routine out, I think. It's a full body split with added exercises for my weak points (lateral shoulders and neck mostly)
Right now most compounds I do 5 sets with heavy weight but I will switch to 8-12 once I have more strength.
Every week is A-R-B-R-C-R-R with R being rest day.

A
Barbell row 3x5
Bench press barbell 3x5
Squat 3x5
Leaning lateral raise (cable) 3x20
Biceps curl 3x12
Neck rotation 4x20

B
Overhead press barbell 3x5
Chin-up 3x5
Romanian deadlift 3x5
Cable crunch 4x12
Neck extension 4x20

C
Lat pulldown 3x5
Inclined bench press barbell 3x5
Seated row 3x5
Triceps pulldown 3x12
Neck curl 4x20

Is it good, things I should change before I commit to that for a while?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Xtra
Yes this is my 2nd or 3rd post but I'm figuring a good routine out, I think.
Right now most compounds I do 5 sets with heavy weight but I will switch to 8-12 once I have more strength.

A
Barbell row 3x5
Bench press barbell 3x5
Squat 3x5
Biceps curl 3x12
Neck rotation 4x20

B
Chin-up 3x5
Romanian deadlift 3x5
Cable crunch 4x12
Neck extension 4x20

C
Lat pulldown 3x5
Seated row 3x5
Triceps pulldown 3x12
Neck curl 4x20

So many rest days? Or you do other sports?

I don't understand the split?
Push pull leggs moggs
Or
Upper lower, maybe.

It might be you might activate muscles, that don't match

• +1
Reactions: nigkook and Matheus
So many rest days? Or you do other sports?

I don't understand the split?
Push pull leggs moggs
Or
Upper lower, maybe.

It might be you might activate muscles, that don't match
It's a full body split
I have a life I'm not going to be a gym rat and do PPL 6/7 days

• +1
Reactions: traveler and overtier1011
looks similar to mine but i do less exercises and i skip leg day

• +1
Reactions: Matheus
Yes this is my 2nd or 3rd post but I'm figuring a good routine out, I think. It's a full body split with added exercises for my weak points (lateral shoulders and neck mostly)

A
Barbell row 3x5
Bench press barbell 3x5
Squat 3x5
Biceps curl 3x12
Neck rotation 4x20

B
Chin-up 3x5
Romanian deadlift 3x5
Cable crunch 4x12
Neck extension 4x20

C
Lat pulldown 3x5
Seated row 3x5
Triceps pulldown 3x12
Neck curl 4x20

sounds great similar to me

• +1
looks similar to mine but i do less exercises and i skip leg day
I don't have a leg day either JFL I just do squats, thankfully my calves are genetically big
I have more exercises because of neck and more volume for lateral delts I guess

• +1
Reactions: marek937
I don't have a leg day either JFL I just do squats, thankfully my calves are genetically big
I have more exercises because of neck and more volume for lateral delts I guess
thats good leg day is gay anyway

• JFL
Bump more opinions would be nice

I see. I am not familiar with that split.

That will likely cuck results.
Wdym cuck results? 3-day full body split is very common esp for beginners. It probably won't give as much gains as PPL 6/7 days for sure, but that's about it

I don't have a leg day either
thats good leg day is gay anyway
Dc1ea8968324d8d430d6272b6a848ec5

Last edited:

A
Barbell row 3x5
Bench press barbell 3x5
Squat 3x5
Biceps curl 3x12
Neck rotation 4x20

B
Chin-up 3x5
Romanian deadlift 3x5
Cable crunch 4x12
Neck extension 4x20

C
Lat pulldown 3x5
Seated row 3x5
Triceps pulldown 3x12
Neck curl 4x20

Quite low volume but if you're progressing fine and feeling tired after workouts then maybe its enough for you atm. I would recommend dynamic rep ranges tho. Like 4-8/4-6/6-8 or something for compounds and 15-20/8-12 etc. This allows for more natural proximity to failure since you dont just stop at a number for the sake of the number like you would at 5 reps for example.

• +1
Quite low volume but if you're progressing fine and feeling tired after workouts then maybe its enough for you atm. I would recommend dynamic rep ranges tho. Like 4-8/4-6/6-8 or something for compounds and 15-20/8-12 etc. This allows for more natural proximity to failure since you dont just stop at a number for the sake of the number like you would at 5 reps for example.
The previous routines I used had too much volume, according to people here.
Dynamic rep ranges why not, 4-8 is like minimum 4 maximum 8 unless failure between the two?

What would be a way to increase volume without being a gym rat? More reps/sets would be enough?

The previous routines I used had too much volume, according to people here.
Dynamic rep ranges why not, 4-8 is like minimum 4 maximum 8 unless failure between the two?

What would be a way to increase volume without being a gym rat? More reps/sets would be enough?
Too much volume is something you decide on your own. If you're getting good pumps, a bit sore, progressing well etc on a high number of sets then its good volume. If you're getting sore and overfatigued into your next workout for that muscle as well as maybe feeling joint pains etc then it could be too much volume. If you get trash pumps, bad progression, dont feel like the muscle was used well and feel like you could train it again the day after then thats too little volume. No random dude on a forum can say that its too much volume if its working. There's a formula to deciding that and its also largely individual.

Yep exactly so like instead of having three sets of 5 where you maybe get 5 but far from failure on the first set then 5 again and then 5 but at failure/4 but before failure which is not optimal because it will either 1: Ruin your proximity to failure or 2: Be too little reps to maximize hypertrophy you can simply give yourself a range to work within so that you're always in a good hypertrophic rep range and are also close to failure consistently. I think 5-8 is actually better bcs you generally wanna be above 5 reps per set for maximum gains so that would mean if you're above 5 reps for every set then you continue with that weight until you hit 8/8/8 and then increase the weight.

Increasing volume is simple to do and I'd advise simply slapping on another set if you feel like you could do more.

This is a great video for determining your volume requirements (best channel for training overall imo)

• +1
why so many rest days? you don't need that many

Too much volume is something you decide on your own. If you're getting good pumps, a bit sore, progressing well etc on a high number of sets then its good volume. If you're getting sore and overfatigued into your next workout for that muscle as well as maybe feeling joint pains etc then it could be too much volume. If you get trash pumps, bad progression, dont feel like the muscle was used well and feel like you could train it again the day after then thats too little volume. No random dude on a forum can say that its too much volume if its working. There's a formula to deciding that and its also largely individual.

Yep exactly so like instead of having three sets of 5 where you maybe get 5 but far from failure on the first set then 5 again and then 5 but at failure/4 but before failure which is not optimal because it will either 1: Ruin your proximity to failure or 2: Be too little reps to maximize hypertrophy you can simply give yourself a range to work within so that you're always in a good hypertrophic rep range and are also close to failure consistently. I think 5-8 is actually better bcs you generally wanna be above 5 reps per set for maximum gains so that would mean if you're above 5 reps for every set then you continue with that weight until you hit 8/8/8 and then increase the weight.

Increasing volume is simple to do and I'd advise simply slapping on another set if you feel like you could do more.

This is a great video for determining your volume requirements (best channel for training overall imo)

Thanks, very informative, I do less sets to save time but I might do another a fourth one then

why so many rest days? you don't need that many
It's a full body split
I have a life I'm not going to be a gym rat and do PPL 6/7 days

Thanks, very informative, I do less sets to save time but I might do another a fourth one then
Yeah that is if you're not progressing well enough, you train close to failure and you feel like your muscles can handle more

• +1
great routine!

• Love it
Mogs, only doing bench dips and Shrugs

• +1
Lat pulldown 3x5
Seated row 3x5

For hypertrophy I would aim for 10+ reps. Lat pulldown 3x5 makes no sense

Lat pulldown 3x5
Seated row 3x5

For hypertrophy I would aim for 10+ reps. Lat pulldown 3x5 makes no sense
its the 3 x 5 program similar to 5 x 5

legit routine and split

3 days a week full body

• +1
its the 3 x 5 program similar to 5 x 5
not a big fan tbh, especially for beginners who will load up more weight and may end up injured

• +1
Reactions: traveler
not a big fan tbh, especially for beginners who will load up more weight and may end up injured
I do it to get proper technique and find my comfortable baseline weight before increasing reps. Right now I'm doing dynamic reps, instead of 3x5 I do 3x4-8. After that it will be 3x8-12. End goal is 4x8-12