Importance of Golden Ratio

Golden ratio is one of the biggest determinants of how attractive a face is. Many people here understand its importance, but don’t actually know the proportions that make up the golden ratio. I will lay out some of the major vertical proportions of the golden ratio.

The golden ratio is 1.618, so every proportion should come out as that or close to that. 1.5-1.7 is ideal range, 1.4 and 1.8 is acceptable, anything outside of that is a noticeable failo.

Nathalie Delon fits the golden ratio very well, so we’ll use her:

F5EDD05E 0E05 4A61 A6B9 EF3F7DA7E264

#1: Iris to nose flair/nose flair to nose base:

0A4988AE 9E41 4344 906C CBC1BB345AD3

#2: Iris to nostril top/nostril top to center of lips:

FE00DB60 5771 4312 8737 E2EDAAEDD365

#3: Iris to nose base/nose base to bottom of lips:

DF95918A 9AF8 4C34 AB6C 140B7745D7C7

#4: Iris to center of lips/center of lips to bottom of chin:

4AE3EB4A BDFD 49FA 96DF FF352263023D

#5: Top of lips to bottom of chin/nose flair to top of lips:

6E4A2E93 AF5C 4494 A719 9896D3AAFF75

#6: Nose flair to bottom of lips/bottom of lips to bottom of chin:

C4DFF379 080E 484D 9656 E70FE4D4BF8E

#7: Bottom of lips to bottom of chin/top of lips to bottom of lips:

391F325F 0C74 4BEF A4A9 82A4A51026FE

#8: Top of lips to bottom of lips/nose base to top of lips:

69CAF127 C0C4 43CD A849 609FF69D1652

#9: Eyebrow peak to top of lips/top of lips to bottom of chin:

A74BF03B 303B 4B5D 8527 EAB202A86B4C

#10: Eyebrow peak to upper eyelid/upper eyelid to bottom eyelid:

DCADB0BD F2C8 4935 BFE2 747E8B697AA1

#11: Top of lower lip to bottom of lower lip/top of upper lip to bottom of upper lip:

E1810E04 7673 4DE5 92BE B006DAF17851

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: Looks234, AlwaysHaveQuestions, ssiinnaannss and 11 others
Golden ratio is one of the biggest determinants of how attractive a face is. Many people here understand its importance, but don’t actually know the proportions that make up the golden ratio. I will lay out some of the major vertical proportions of the golden ratio.

The golden ratio is 1.618, so every proportion should come out as that or close to that. 1.5-1.7 is ideal range, 1.4 and 1.8 is acceptable, anything outside of that is a noticeable failo.

View attachment 868693

View attachment 868731

View attachment 868704

View attachment 868705

View attachment 868707

View attachment 868708

View attachment 868711

View attachment 868715

View attachment 868718

View attachment 868720

View attachment 868725

#11: Top of upper lip to bottom of upper lip/top of lower lip to bottom of lower lip:

View attachment 868727
use a male please

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2729 and Kynoxz
Nice thread, ill go on the rabitt hole of breakin tru my subhumanity in paint

97132e0716cb1e78d9ad180a9c11b0f1

I think marquart mask is easier it takes into acc all this?

• +1
Reactions: ProAcktiv, AlwaysHaveQuestions and Lux
by that logic, george clooney is the most attractive male alive

• JFL
Reactions: Looks234
Mirin avi tbh. Dont you praise long ramuses?

Rjsug

• +1
Reactions: Looks234 and Nisse
are you trying to explain "harmony"

are you trying to explain "harmony"
No. Harmony, on this forum, is just a word people use when they don’t know why someone is attractive but want to give an explanation.

Harmony of features does exist but proportions don’t fall under that.

Last edited:
Used to but now understand it depends on the face.

Also some research shows girls prefer more average, tapered jaws over hyper masculine, square ones.
Based tbh, my shortish ramus and highis gonial angle was the reason i found this site. It was my biggest insecurity until i realised that harmony is king.

View attachment 868693

View attachment 868731

View attachment 868704

View attachment 868705

View attachment 868707

View attachment 868708

View attachment 868711

View attachment 868715

View attachment 868718

View attachment 868720

View attachment 868725

#11: Top of lower lip to bottom of lower lip/top of upper lip to bottom of upper lip:

View attachment 868727
Add chin to philtrum ratio and more and how to improve it

I haven’t measured his proportions but he does have high appeal.
Measured some of his vertical proportions and they’re mostly acceptable with a couple ideal and one bad, but he definitely doesn’t have the most proportionally ideal face. Lots of articles incorrectly label someone as having the “best golden ratio face”. Bella Hadid, for example, has been said to have the most beautiful face according to the golden ratio, but many women have much better proportions than her.

Clooney’s appeal is generally proportional face (meaning mostly acceptable ratios, not necessarily ideal) and dimorphic Features (thick, long eyebrows, wide chin, etc.).

And his horizontal proportions (at least his facial fifths) look to be perfect.

Plus status.

Used this picture:
FA63AE15 17A9 47BD BA50 F825C7B88BFE

Last edited:
Add chin to philtrum ratio and more and how to improve it
No need. Focus on these ratios and your chin to philtrum will most likely fall under the ratio this forum touts as ideal.

No. Harmony, on this forum, is just a word people use when they don’t know why someone is attractive but want to give an explanation.

Harmony of features does exist but proportions don’t fall under that.
i think harmony is quite a fitting term to refer to proportions (among other things)

i think harmony is quite a fitting term to refer to proportions (among other things)
Agreed, but it’s used in many different ways on this forum, so I just use it in one way to avoid confusion.

• +1
Reactions: AutisticBeaner
Measured some of his vertical proportions and they’re mostly acceptable with a couple ideal and one bad, but he definitely doesn’t have the most proportionally ideal face. Lots of articles incorrectly label someone as having the “best golden ratio face”. Bella Hadid, for example, has been said to have the most beautiful face according to the golden ratio, but many women have much better proportions than her.

Clooney’s appeal is generally proportional face (meaning mostly acceptable ratios, not necessarily ideal) and dimorphic Features (thick, long eyebrows, wide chin, etc.).

And his horizontal proportions (at least his facial fifths) look to be perfect.

Plus status.

Used this picture:
View attachment 868793

Also, I think if you’re going to have minor aesthetic failos (acceptable deviations from the golden ratio), it’s better that they be due to dimorphism rather than lack of (it’s better for a guy to have a slightly longer than ideal chin rather than shorter, slightly smaller upper lip than ideal than bigger, etc.). Clooney’s minor deviations are due to dimorphism.

Also, I think if you’re going to have minor aesthetic failos (acceptable deviations from the golden ratio), it’s better that they be due to dimorphism rather than lack of (it’s better for a guy to have a slightly longer than ideal chin rather than shorter, slightly smaller upper lip than ideal than bigger, etc.). Clooney’s minor deviations are due to dimorphism.
Funny you mention chin, I happen to be the one...
What pisses me off, is that everyone is throwing around the "facial third should be of equal length", which is very much so not the case for males. It's actually a not that good feature to have, for males the ideal chin needs to be larger. Of course the "need" is subjective, in a way, as your face might still look great with equal facial thirds lengths for example, but it is more so a feminine feature.
Well chin size is dimorphic trait.
Was just pissed...

There used to be an app on Iphone a long time ago that did this test, and Tom Cruise got 99% and Angelina Jolie did too. It's funny the two that did the best had surgery.

Funny you mention chin, I happen to be the one...
What pisses me off, is that everyone is throwing around the "facial third should be of equal length", which is very much so not the case for males. It's actually a not that good feature to have, for males the ideal chin needs to be larger. Of course the "need" is subjective, in a way, as your face might still look great with equal facial thirds lengths for example, but it is more so a feminine feature.
Well chin size is dimorphic trait.
Was just pissed...
Ideal facial thirds are close to balanced but have small deviations in favor of dimorphism (no more than 5%).

Bale’s lower third is 3-4% longer than his upper third, his middle third is equal to upper third:

His facial thirds are basically ideal for a male.

This guy’s lower third is 9% longer than his middle third and part of the reason he looks shit is because of that, even if it’s dimorphic:

Balanced thirds are legit, but not completely balanced. Ideal male facial thirds get progressively longer (albeit slightly), and females get progressively shorter.

There used to be an app on Iphone a long time ago that did this test, and Tom Cruise got 99% and Angelina Jolie did too. It's funny the two that did the best had surgery.
He got a nose job and jaw implants if I’m not mistaken.

Somerhalder has close to perfect vertical proportions and I’m pretty sure he got an implant as well.

Looked way better before.

• +1
Reactions: everydayfun
you're the most knowledgeable user i know on here in terms of facial aesthetics ngl, good thread

Ideal facial thirds are close to balanced but have small deviations in favor of dimorphism (no more than 5%).

Bale’s lower third is 3-4% longer than his upper third, his middle third is equal to upper third:

View attachment 868890

His facial thirds are basically ideal for a male.

This guy’s lower third is 9% longer than his middle third and part of the reason he looks shit is because of that, even if it’s dimorphic:

View attachment 868896

Balanced thirds are legit, but not completely balanced. Ideal male facial thirds get progressively longer (albeit slightly), and females get progressively shorter.
Is my lower third too short in comparison to my other facial thirds? @MisterMercedes

Last edited:
He got a nose job and jaw implants if I’m not mistaken.

Somerhalder has close to perfect vertical proportions and I’m pretty sure he got an implant as well.

View attachment 868903View attachment 868907
Looked way better before.
Omg look at those fucking eyes. Completely destroyed, imo. Look like shit in general now.
Anyway, I can't find the facial third stuff, but I remember watching stuff about it. The point being is that more ideal is closer to 31/31/38% of facial third lengths for males.
And I'd highly disagree that bale has an ideal face.

Omg look at those fucking eyes. Completely destroyed, imo. Look like shit in general now.
Anyway, I can't find the facial third stuff, but I remember watching stuff about it. The point being is that more ideal is closer to 31/31/38% of facial third lengths for males.
And I'd highly disagree that bale has an ideal face.
I said he had ideal thirds, not face as a whole. However, does he has very high sex appeal. I’d say he’s pretty close to ideal.

Somerhalder also has very high appeal. His eye spacing is a failo but pretty much everything else is perfect.

You should show someone with those facial thirds if you think that’s ideal. A 7% difference between thirds seems excessive.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10536
Is my lower third too short in comparison to my other facial thirds? @MisterMercedes

No you have good facial thirds judging by that picture.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7076
if tom got a nose job, they didn't do a great job
Think it was worse before.

Bulbous nasal tip.

He also got his teeth straightened, but that’s no secret.

• +1
I said he had ideal thirds, not face as a whole. However, does he has very high sex appeal. I’d say he’s pretty close to ideal.

Somerhalder also has very high appeal. His eye spacing is a failo but pretty much everything else is perfect.

You should show someone with those facial thirds if you think that’s ideal. A 7% difference between thirds seems excessive.
Made Bale’s lower third 6% longer than his middle and upper as opposed to 3%, and I see how you might think it looks masculine but I think girls would prefer the original:

84F0E97D F60D 43D6 8E64 61EDAA8014F5
357053E6 674F 4BA8 8838 45E87815AD88

maybe that's the idea, fix it a little but not too obvious
Yeah I think nose job for celebrities usually goes well, but jaw implants look so obvious.

• +1
I actually read the scientific article. Wrote a seven page research paper on multitude of things. Debating whether I should post it.
please post it bro.

Tag me if u can

Why are lips such a big deal? I’m starting to feel insecure about my equal size lips.

Used to but now understand it depends on the face.

Also some research shows girls prefer more average, tapered jaws over hyper masculine, square ones.
Link to research?

sorry bro
can I ask two question about about this ratios

This was proven as cope not to long ago

I have some question about ratio face in male
Do U know what's the ideal ratio between "Bitemporal - Bizygomatic - Bigonial" for a male

and whats your idea about this ratio : length of the face to width of the face should be 1.6 in an ideal face, is it true? isn't so long?

also about three equal horizontal line , when I see handsome guy I cant find this ratio and their midface are shorter
what are Ideal facial thirds in your opinion
When I ask surgeons their idea , they believe thee equal part
what do u think ,
midface should be smallest part
and lower third should be longest part if it's right , What is the ideal difference between them?
or midface and upper third should be equal
what is ideal facial third
33%:33%:33% ( I think this is ideal for girls)
30:30:39
34.5%:30%:34.5%
or other measure

Last edited:
Do U know what's the ideal ratio between "Bitemporal - Bizygomatic - Bigonial" for a male

View attachment 1049819

and whats your idea about this ratio : length of the face to width of the face should be 1.6 in an ideal face, is it true? isn't so long?

View attachment 1049820
also about three equal horizontal line , when I see handsome guy I cant find this ratio and their midface are shorter
what do u think ,
and lower third should be longest part if it's right , What is the ideal difference between them?
or other measure

View attachment 1049834
when I look this guy I feel they have great ratios
great length of the face to width of the face and great horizontal line
can u measure their ratios
I think they don't match whit these ideas but their harmony is wonderful (in my opinion)
but I don't know what is the rule ...

View attachment 1049819

View attachment 1049820
what do u think ,
or other measure

View attachment 1049834
Bitemporal to bizygomatic to bigonial is not really a ratio I focus on. Having ideal facial fifths will address that ratio:

In terms of dimorphism, males have wider hairlines, more bowed zygomatic arches, and wider bigonions. Females have the opposite.

Yes, ideal face length to face width ratio is 1.618.

Ideal facial thirds are balanced or close to balanced.

• +1
Reactions: Looks234