Living in a van to avoid wageslavery?

optimisticzoomer

optimisticzoomer

Salutations my children
Sounds pikey af, but I'm wondering if it's a valid strategy to avoid full time work.

Just buy a large van/camper which doesn't drive, so no insurance etc, and use it as a house in the same spot.

Shower - gym. Public toilets, bottle/tub to piss in if u need to. Charge your electronics in a library or something. Live in an area with public WiFi (or have some sort of power like solar). Get a gas stove or something if u need to cook. Mostly eat stuff that doesn't need cooking.

Obviously this isn't luxury living, which is why I'm not likely to do it. But I cannot wageslave full time for years.

• +1
Reactions: PlayersGetPlayed, Tabula Rasa, ShowerMaxxing and 4 others
LTB only..

Can u accept that ?

• +1
Reactions: Kaari and Rea
You could probs buy a smallish RV for like 150K and live at different camp/RV sites. would take some initially money and long term income remote income but you would have more freedom in where you can go

• +1
Reactions: Kaari
Here's what I'd do:

Buy a tent or get my driver's license,
Get an SUV,
drive nearby a river in a heavily forested area,
Bucket of water,
Boil all my water,
Collect plants such as willow that can help with hygiene,
Spend most of my time gathering berries, lace them with poison to use as animal bait,
Live on small squirrels and other rodents,
Repeat.

• JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: boxface34, Kaari, DarkAscender and 2 others
You could probs buy a smallish RV for like 150K and live at different camp/RV sites. would take some initially money and long term income remote income but you would have more freedom in where you can go
I'm more talking about buying a used vehicle (or caravan, which u can get used for like 3k), and just using it as a house. Working part time.

• +1
Here's what I'd do:

Buy a tent or get my driver's license,
Get an SUV,
drive nearby a river in a heavily forested area,
Bucket of water,
Boil all my water,
Collect plants such as willow that can help with hygiene,
Spend most of my time gathering berries, lace them with poison to use as animal bait,
Live on small squirrels and other rodents,
Repeat.
Lol I wanted to go and live in Belize off grid. But atm I live in UK. Food isn't that much of an expense, so could easily cover it working low hours. Heating during winter could be an issue tho

• +1
Reactions: ShowerMaxxing, Kaari and PlayersGetPlayed
I'm more talking about buying a used vehicle (or caravan, which u can get used for like 3k), and just using it as a house. Working part time.
Rv is smarter

• +1
Reactions: Kaari and optimisticzoomer
Lol I wanted to go and live in Belize off grid. But atm I live in UK. Food isn't that much of an expense, so could easily cover it working low hours. Heating during winter could be an issue tho
You could easily make a small wooden cabin if you did the work for it. As insulator use blankets or if you wanna get fancy some kind of clay wall.

• +1
Reactions: optimisticzoomer
@MoggerGaston thoughts?

• +1
That would be cheaper but actually saving up and investing in a good RV would probs be better for freedom

• +1
Reactions: try2beme, Kaari, optimisticzoomer and 1 other person
That would be cheaper but actually saving up and investing in a good RV would probs be better for freedom
True
But I need some income, and remote jobs are impossible to get, so I would likely have to work part time, and hence stay in the same location

• +1
True
But I need some income, and remote jobs are impossible to get, so I would likely have to work part time, and hence stay in the same location
Going as cheap as possible would work but your relying on one thing to do everything you need to do to not break down would be a major liability in how sustainable it would be. your trying to get freedom with the least amount of money possible which doesn't really go together.
The van would work but i would go with getting a nicer one so your better off long term. you would save money making the inside yourself and it would suit your need better since you would be able to add insulation for winters

• +1
Public toilets and showers are gross

r u on neetbux?

• +1

How tf u gonna live with no .org

• +1
r u on neetbux?
No
Atm I live with parents and don't work. I might be able to get a part time job and live with them for a short time, but they want me to move out. Also neetbux in UK aren't very high. Perhaps I could claim to be homeless saying my parents kicked me out and then get council housing.
How tf u gonna live with no .org
Solar will give me power for wifi. Or public WiFi

• +1
Reactions: Tabula Rasa
No
Atm I live with parents and don't work. I might be able to get a part time job and live with them for a short time, but they want me to move out. Also neetbux in UK aren't very high. Perhaps I could claim to be homeless saying my parents kicked me out and then get council housing.

Solar will give me power for wifi. Or public WiFi
I'm thinking of renting a garage or storage unit, and live off neetbux and any saved wages.

• +1
I'm thinking of renting a garage or storage unit, and live off neetbux and any saved wages.
Are u on neetbux atm? How much do u get where u are? Here we get like £75 a week for "job seeker's allowance". I might look into applying for it. And then try and find a part time job. For example, a security job with one or two shifts a week

• +1
Reactions: Tabula Rasa
Are u on neetbux atm? How much do u get where u are? Here we get like £75 a week for "job seeker's allowance". I might look into applying for it. And then try and find a part time job. For example, a security job with one or two shifts a week
Not atm, but the benefits are generally enough to live frugally.

• +1