Mouth protrusion, forward growth, and le fort 1

neithernorwood

neithernorwood

Iron
I'm a bit confused by mouth protrusion -- for which surgeons offer fix by bringing back the mouth towards the back of the skill -- vs discussions of forward growth -- which suggest the opposite is desirable.

Mouth protrusion

You can see here these surgeons intentionally recess the mouth:

Forward growth

Whereas here we have:

So my current understanding is that the forward growth is more about the UPPER part of the maxilla (and keeping the lower jaw in line). So you can have bad forward growth if your upper maxilla is recessed and your lower maxilla is projected outward. Is that right? And the proper fix in this case not to bring the mouth backwards as is offered on that website but rather bring the upper part of the maxilla forwards (maybe with CCW).

So if you have mouth protrusion but also not a lot of forward growth, probably you need le fort 2? Because le fort 1 advancement would just make the protrusion worse? I'm having trouble understanding how le fort 1 with forward growth helps you if you have mouth protrusion already.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, thecel, Deleted member 5634 and 1 other person
Downward maxillary forward growth which results in prognathism is one of the most difficult things to correct. You probably need counterclockwise distraction of the maxilla and mandible.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and Agendum
Downward maxillary forward growth which results in prognathism is one of the most difficult things to correct. You probably need counterclockwise distraction of the maxilla and mandible.
its over

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Toth's thot and Agendum
Downward maxillary forward growth which results in prognathism
Prognathism is caused by downward growth of the maxilla?
I thought it was just protrusion.

• +1
Reactions: sandcelmuttcel, AlwaysHaveQuestions and Deleted member 5634
Yeah its really difficult if you have something like that.
The girl in the photo had it fixed through bimax without losing mandibular length or forwards growth though, didn't she?

The girl in the photo had it fixed through bimax without losing mandibular length or forwards growth though, didn't she?
Yeah she did, but now her face is very flat overall.

I have this my surgeon told me they had to extract my premolars and then do the lefort 1 so i dont look like a chimp, actually both my maxilla and mandible are reccessed but my mouth protrudes a lot

• +1
Reactions: anti caking agents and AlwaysHaveQuestions
Do you have this OP? Im also confused tbh

I have this my surgeon told me they had to extract my premolars and then do the lefort 1 so i dont look like a chimp, actually both my maxilla and mandible are reccessed but my mouth protrudes a lot
Are you class 3?

Are you class 3?

No, im class 2 bro, but i do have protruded teeth according to the ceph, also add me back to the surgery discord, you guys banned me lol

same, its the worse thing you can have

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot, AlwaysHaveQuestions and Deleted member 5634
opt for CCW rotation with any surgery you get. Or keep your teeth together and tongue tip on the roof of your mouth with the rest of your tongue and maintain a good lip seal and these teeth will slowly upright.

opt for CCW rotation with any surgery you get. Or keep your teeth together and tongue tip on the roof of your mouth with the rest of your tongue and maintain a good lip seal and these teeth will slowly upright.
Na bro, i have bimaxillary protrusion because my grandma was black, no amount of mewing will fix it. My dad has more transversally big maxilla and he also has bimax protrusion.

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions
Na bro, i have bimaxillary protrusion because my grandma was black, no amount of mewing will fix it. My dad has more transversally big maxilla and he also has bimax protrusion.
Oral posture tendencies can be genetically inherited because they are part of unconscious innervation, especially as a response to airway obstruction.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 5634
wouldnt it be a cw rotation against the protrusion?
also mewing wouldn't fix it. another option from extraction is sarpe/mse

• +1
wouldnt it be a cw rotation against the protrusion?
also mewing wouldn't fix it. another option from extraction is sarpe/mse
My es ratio Is already good so that is a not possible, I have a really weird maxilla it's good transversally but really long and with my teeth protruding

• +1
prognathism and bimaxillary protrusion is from protruding teeth or a very short and weak nose

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and Deleted member 9344
No, im class 2 bro, but i do have protruded teeth according to the ceph, also add me back to the surgery discord, you guys banned me lol
Ok I didn’t ban you but I will look into the matter. Probably was another admin

• +1
My es ratio Is already good so that is a not possible, I have a really weird maxilla it's good transversally but really long and with my teeth protruding
what does that have to do with es ratio?
and yea negroid and mongoloid skull are longer sagitally. caucasians evolved to have more sunken in face which makes them look forward grown

• Hmm...
Reactions: sandcelmuttcel
what does that have to do with es ratio?
and yea negroid and mongoloid skull are longer sagitally. caucasians evolved to have more sunken in face which makes them look forward grown

Mse can change es ratio as far as I know

• +1
I'm a bit confused by mouth protrusion -- for which surgeons offer fix by bringing back the mouth towards the back of the skill -- vs discussions of forward growth -- which suggest the opposite is desirable.

Mouth protrusion

View attachment 1063251

View attachment 1063252

Forward growth

Whereas here we have:
View attachment 1063263

So my current understanding is that the forward growth is more about the UPPER part of the maxilla (and keeping the lower jaw in line). So you can have bad forward growth if your upper maxilla is recessed and your lower maxilla is projected outward. Is that right? And the proper fix in this case not to bring the mouth backwards as is offered on that website but rather bring the upper part of the maxilla forwards (maybe with CCW).

View attachment 1063259

So if you have mouth protrusion but also not a lot of forward growth, probably you need le fort 2? Because le fort 1 advancement would just make the protrusion worse? I'm having trouble understanding how le fort 1 with forward growth helps you if you have mouth protrusion already.

View attachment 1063262
If you have protruded maxilla already then you need a surgery that won't advance the maxilla itself. So in this case there are more possible solutions, like rotation, or total maxillary setback + rotation.

Mouth protrusion

View attachment 1063251

View attachment 1063252

Forward growth

Whereas here we have:
View attachment 1063263

View attachment 1063259

View attachment 1063262
CCW Rotation

she likely did extractions

So my current understanding is that the forward growth is more about the UPPER part of the maxilla (and keeping the lower jaw in line). So you can have bad forward growth if your upper maxilla is recessed and your lower maxilla is projected outward. Is that right?

• Love it
Reactions: neithernorwood
Fuck man I wish lefort 2 was more available and safe. Idk if I’d benefit more from 1 ccw or 2

Same. Remove upper and lower premolars, 4 teeth in total and pull back all the teeth backwards into the mouth. Removes the protusion and from there operate normally. He said it was nothing complicated at all but then again he is world class. A side effect is it takes like 12-18 months from teeth extractions to operation...

can you send me you ceph bro? i think i have the same but my surgeon didnt tell me that, so i fear the chimp :(

• +1
Reactions: thecel