Mse and ipd

R

riceeater504

Iron
I have a recessed mandible maxilla and small jaws, and I'm considering mse to prevent further downgrowth and be able to mew properly. I've read somewhere that mse will fix small ipd failo by expanding the distance but i already have a wide ipd above 70mm. Has anyone tried mse before and if so how has it

I have done it. My ES-Ratio decreased to a very low 0.42. My IPD was 64-65cm before and it is about the same now after 1cm of expansion. I measured it at nearly 65-66cm, which could be a measurement error. Zygomatic bones flare outward though by a significant amount. My ortho said beforehand, that I should not worry about it, as changes would be minimal. It is substantial for my ES-Ratio though, since my cheekbones were wide and prominent before. ES-Ratio was around 0.43-0,435. So your ES-ratio should slightly improve overall, should you have wide set eyes. Though everyone reacts different to treatment I assume.

I have a recessed mandible maxilla and small jaws, and I'm considering mse to prevent further downgrowth and be able to mew properly. I've read somewhere that mse will fix small ipd failo by expanding the distance but i already have a wide ipd above 70mm. Has anyone tried mse before and if so how has it
If you do have teeth crowding, you should definitely consider it, as it was in my case. Though my cheekbones are just to large in general, giving me a wide face still. So I look worse overall. People with a narrow face and palate + probably wider set eyes should benefit from MSE looks wise

• +1
Reactions: riceeater504
If you do have teeth crowding, you should definitely consider it, as it was in my case. Though my cheekbones are just to large in general, giving me a wide face still. So I look worse overall. People with a narrow face and palate + probably wider set eyes should benefit from MSE looks wise
Should I be concerned about unnecessarily expanding my ipd or nose alar width? My ipd measures around 70-73mm which is higher than the ideal range of 65-70mm, and I don't want to end up looking like sid from ice age. Also, apart from wider cheekbones and nasal volume, have you achieved any forward growth or upswing? Just want to check if there is a good ROI for risking making my ipd ridiculously wide.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27660
Should I be concerned about unnecessarily expanding my ipd or nose alar width? My ipd measures around 70-73mm which is higher than the ideal range of 65-70mm, and I don't want to end up looking like sid from ice age. Also, apart from wider cheekbones and nasal volume, have you achieved any forward growth or upswing? Just want to check if there is a good ROI for risking making my ipd ridiculously wide.

It depends. I guess your skull is adequately very wide, isn’t it? Otherwise 70-73mm IPD would already look too far apart.
As I said, I suppose technically a very slight negligible IPD increase is not impossible. I wouldn’t be able to tell in my case honestly. It probably differs among individual cases.
The cheekbones will flare outwards more, depending on expansion, so your ES-Ratio is likely too decrease.
Other than that you should just straight up talk to your orthodontist for advice. I told mine and I was aware of the changes, due to relatively slow expansion. If you aren’t satisfied, up to a point, it is possible to turn backwards.

I did not achieve any upswing or forward growth.
Still visible class 3 occlusion. Face Mask was an option, however unlikely do generate more than 1-2mm forward growth in adult cases, which isn’t worth wearing this device imo.

• +1
Reactions: riceeater504