My theory on why bullying happens (and how to stop it)

L

lilhorizontal32

Equinox
some people enjoy bullying for the sake of it, and if not, may just use it as a means to increase their own social status.

however they will only try to do so to people that they do not want to associate with in the first place.
by this I mean people who if they pissed off or got on bad terms with they wouldn't care. this is why popular, charismatic people don't get bullied - no one wants to risk making an off-handed joke at someone that they want to be friends with (to avoid losing a potential friendship), or someone who has high social status, because being on their good side could have benefits down the track

so this is the key. do whatever you can to become someone people want to be friends with, or increase your social status to a point where even if someone doesn't want to be friends with you, they won't dare make a joke/off-handed comment to you so that they don't potentially get on your bad side, and miss out on the potential benefits of being on good terms with you.

thoughts?

No need for theory crafting. Bullying is something subconscious and instinctive. Usually when one sees a subhuman, one feels like bullying that person- to send a signal that you dont like that person and dont want to be around it, even though he/she might have good character. Its an evolutionary thing for the most part.

Imagine you were in a tribe of like 40 people a couple of thousand years ago. So lets say you had a sister and a subhuman dude in your tribe would constantly orbit and approach your sister, cause he wants to marry her. Normally, both you and your father wouldnt want her to marry a subhuman cretin and nuke your family's genes, so you would bully him and let him know that he is not welcome to be part of your family. You would bully him on every occasion you get to push that prick away from your sister and your family.

Thats an evolutionary/biological/subconscious thing.

• +1
Reactions: noprogressno, NONE, weeblord and 3 others
interesting take

Thats a subconscious thing.
don't agree with this though. lots of people on reddit recall being bullied, and then when someone even weirder than them came to school, started bullying them to get the attention of their back. I would hardly call this subconscious

• +1
Reactions: NONE and valhalar
interesting take

don't agree with this though. lots of people on reddit recall being bullied, and then when someone even weirder than them came to school, started bullying them to get the attention of their back. I would hardly call this subconscious
So people who were bullied by others before, all of a sudden started bullying other freshman weirdos, who were even more subhuman than those previous nerds who got bullied? Did I understand that correctly?

In that case it would only confirm my theory. When ppl meet subhuman nerds who they dont want to be associated with and find repelling, they usually will bully those nerds to let them know that they are not welcome around you.

Other than that, remember that reddit is just a bunch of lowlife neckbeards and so on. Dont take anything for granted that is posted there.

So people who were bullied by others before, all of a sudden started bullying other freshman weirdos, who were even more subhuman than those previous nerds who got bullied? Did I understand that correctly?

In that case it would only confirm my theory. When ppl meet subhuman nerds who they dont want to be associated with and find repelling, they usually will bully those nerds to let them know that they are not welcome around you.

Other than that, remember that reddit is just a bunch of lowlife neckbeards and so on. Dont take anything for granted that is posted there.
not really man, there's lots of normal people on reddit unironically, especially compared to this place JFL

but I think a lot of them made the conscious choice to bully the new subhumans so that they wouldn't be the target of the main bullies in their school.

this makes a lot of sense tbh. I got bullied the worst when I would tag along with a bunch of guys that I could tell didn't want to be friends with me (and some of them straight up disliked me), but I did so because I had no other friends, and I think I really forced the relationship. so they might have thought that bullying me would eventually get me to stop hanging out with them :(

• So Sad
Reactions: valhalar