Planning on getting a software dev job in 6 months here's how I will do it

D

Deleted member 11126

Kraken
Been working on C++ for about a month now I can't say I am starting from nothing since I've messed around with tech in the past.

Going to learn C++ for another 2 months (its good for understanding the fundamentals of coding and is less abstracted)
Currently reading the book "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" whatever I don't understand in the book I just use the internet for. I spend 4 hours reading and another 4 hours coding 5-6 days a week. Can't do much more then that with my job.

I'm expecting to finish this in another 2 months then I will dive nose straight into either HTML/Javascript or Python because this is easier to get a first job in. Hopefully in 4 months I can at least have an internship (even a shitty paying one will do because it will look nice)

Recommendations for everyone. Use linux and get familiar with terminal its much quicker to find files this way. Stick to one language and one main resource don't jump around use one well rated book as your main source otherwise the vast amounts of information will cause you to be overwhelmed. Pretty much use a book because its structured and will keep you on task and the internet to solve problems ask on places like reddit and stack flow.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: poopoohead, SunniMogger, Deleted member 18879 and 3 others
October 18th, 2022

In 6 months it will be April 18th 2023

• +1
Reactions: thecel
every fucking zoomer wants to be a software engineer nowadays.

fucking brutal competition levels

• +1
Reactions: Pikabro, p0lishsubhuman, looksmaxmax and 6 others

Most zoomers are retarded, don't have good work ethic or more then likely fall into both of these.

There are still million of these roles that cannot be fulfilled either people aren't high IQ enough or they can't work at it long enough. I'm not worried about zoomers or Indians because I'm confident I can beat them

• +1
Reactions: Pikabro, Mr.Heightism, STEVE GAMING and 2 others
use the months to grind leet code and set up intervies

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3828, rand anon, Deleted member 19453 and 7 others
use the months to grind leet code and set up intervies
Yeah I will probably do them all in a language like JS or python C++ Leetcode would be much harder.

Last edited:
Been working on C++ for about a month now I can't say I am starting from nothing since I've messed around with tech in the past.

Going to learn C++ for another 2 months (its good for understanding the fundamentals of coding and is less abstracted)
Currently reading the book "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" whatever I don't understand in the book I just use the internet for. I spend 4 hours reading and another 4 hours coding 5-6 days a week. Can't do much more then that with my job.

I'm expecting to finish this in another 2 months then I will dive nose straight into either HTML/Javascript or Python because this is easier to get a first job in. Hopefully in 4 months I can at least have an internship (even a shitty paying one will do because it will look nice)

Recommendations for everyone. Use linux and get familiar with terminal its much quicker to find files this way. Stick to one language and one main resource don't jump around use one well rated book as your main source otherwise the vast amounts of information will cause you to be overwhelmed. Pretty much use a book because its structured and will keep you on task and the internet to solve problems ask on places like reddit and stack flow.
Sounds good OP
GL.

Also dont focus entirely on languages. Learning languages is very easy tbh you want to be able to apply them in efficient ways perhaps spend some time studying DS and algorithms as well as some discrete mathematics. You also want to understand alot about how pcs work to a certain amount things like concurrency(obviously go more in-depth into many different things like this) etc so you can make efficient programs.

Maybe also learn SE and development frameworks practices etc as they promote very good development and will be very desirable to employers

Learn source control as well its very important for businesses. Git is a good one.

Yeah I will probably do them all in a language like JS or python C++ and Leetcode would be much harder.
Yeah just do them in a simple language the actual language used doesnt matter its solving the problem that is important.

• +1
Reactions: Adamsmith12345, rand anon and Deleted member 11126

Biggest issue is there just aren't enough smart people. 90 IQ Indians will never beat a 120 IQ competent developer even if there are 10 of them.

Companies have consistently reported that when they outsource does to 3rd world countries despite the lower costs the cost to fix the code is always more. I think getting into coding if your under 110 IQ is almost impossible unless if you want to work 80 hours a week for years. If hard work was all that was needed then Indians would be more useful they do work hard harder then most people.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 3828
Sounds good OP
GL.

Also dont focus entirely on languages. Learning languages is very easy tbh you want to be able to apply them in efficient ways perhaps spend some time studying DS and algorithms as well as some discrete mathematics. You also want to understand alot about how pcs work to a certain amount things like concurrency(obviously go more in-depth into many different things like this) etc so you can make efficient programs.

Maybe also learn SE and development frameworks practices etc as they promote very good development and will be very desirable to employers

Learn source control as well its very important for businesses. Git is a good one.

Yeah just do them in a simple language the actual language used doesnt matter its solving the problem that is important.
That's why I started with C++ its forcing me to learn about hardware. All the stuff with computer memory is mainly abstracted in python.

And linux like Ubuntu is always useful too terminal is very useful.

• +1
Reactions: rand anon and Nims

I have heard that for software dev jobs you don't even need to have any qualifications on your resume, just a portfolio of your work will impress employers.

• +1
Reactions: p0lishsubhuman and Deleted member 11126

you're welcome

• Love it
Reactions: Nims

you're welcome
Good course for web, I did a little myself would recommend.

• +1
Reactions: Mongrelcel and Deleted member 11126
Do you have a degree?

• +1
Do you have a degree?
This is just for a paid internship hopefully I can keep it in school so I can work there instead of grinding a part time job.

If I do this it will help me when I get out of school. I would rather be working for 10 an hour at google then 15 an hour at some retail place.

• +1
Reactions: cutecel

you're welcome
Probably won't be a Web Dev but I am going to learn JS/HTML

• JFL
Reactions: Mongrelcel

C++might be the fundamentals for all languages, but its not used that much. Better to learn python first , and python is much simpler interface than C++ for a beginner.

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: rand anon and Deleted member 11126
I have heard that for software dev jobs you don't even need to have any qualifications on your resume, just a portfolio of your work will impress employers.
Yeah I'm thinking of cool project ideas. I might make an AI bot that lurks on 4chan.

I will title it the dangers of racism on AI when the bot inevitable becomes based... I mean racist.

• JFL
Reactions: cutecel and AscensionMan98
This is just for a paid internship hopefully I can keep it in school so I can work there instead of grinding a part time job.

If I do this it will help me when I get out of school. I would rather be working for 10 an hour at google then 15 an hour at some retail place.
Oh okay I was gonna say that without a degree or prior experience most software companies won't even consider you. It's a brutal industry to start in but once you get your first role its super easy to monkey branch provided you have decent social skills. Good luck bro!

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: serbiangandy and Deleted member 11126
Oh okay I was gonna say that without a degree or prior experience most software companies won't even consider you. It's a brutal industry to start in but once you get your first role its super easy to monkey branch provided you have decent social skills. Good luck bro!
I spoke with a friend who did the usual degree route and we discussed the people who got in non degree route. He basically said that it can take a while to get really good to get the coveted 150-200k+ jobs , otherwise most of the people who do coding bootcamps often end up in easier simpler jobs that are like 60-80k and rarely are considered for more senior roles.

He also said that when he hired some bootcamp people for a internship, they ended up completing 1/5 to 1/4 of the allocated day's work in the proper time frame. So they were behind , and he was nice to them and let them complete the internship vs firing them.

I think you have to be quite high IQ and spend enough time on the craft to land it big. But 60-80k ain't that bad either. He also mentioned the industry is hyper competitive due to most indians and asians and tons of other high iq whites all trying to join the tech bandwagon, and he stated he did hundreds of apps to get his role ( and he is a genius and went to a target school).

I do feel it can be self learnt and one can succeed without the uni scam. But one must realize that its not a craft that can immediately result in some high paying job, as the competition has been learning this craft since early high school.

• +1
Reactions: rand anon and cutecel
Will be quite different if you don't have a STEM degree
(Major doesn't matter)

• +1
C++might be the fundamentals for all languages, but its not used that much. Better to learn python first , and python is much simpler interface than C++ for a beginner.
C++ is still used quite a bit last time I checked it was the top 3 most in demand.

I've also just heard people say it makes learning other languages easier and forces you to have good habits you wouldn't otherwise gain if you had learned a high abstracted language. It will take me 2 more months to finish the book I mentioned then I'm diving straight into python or JS.

AI might be savior of the west as its ruthlessly logical approach to everything means it inevitably becomes redpilled
It is comical to just imagine some data scientist having to work with this in mind. Imagine creating an algorithm to solve crime just starts spitting out black crime stats. AI can advance a lot but it probably won't be advanced enough to do the mental gymnastics most people do daily with "double think".

• +1
Reactions: serbiangandy, AscensionMan98 and cutecel
I spoke with a friend who did the usual degree route and we discussed the people who got in non degree route. He basically said that it can take a while to get really good to get the coveted 150-200k+ jobs , otherwise most of the people who do coding bootcamps often end up in easier simpler jobs that are like 60-80k and rarely are considered for more senior roles.

He also said that when he hired some bootcamp people for a internship, they ended up completing 1/5 to 1/4 of the allocated day's work in the proper time frame. So they were behind , and he was nice to them and let them complete the internship vs firing them.

I think you have to be quite high IQ and spend enough time on the craft to land it big. But 60-80k ain't that bad either. He also mentioned the industry is hyper competitive due to most indians and asians and tons of other high iq whites all trying to join the tech bandwagon, and he stated he did hundreds of apps to get his role ( and he is a genius and went to a target school).

I do feel it can be self learnt and one can succeed without the uni scam. But one must realize that its not a craft that can immediately result in some high paying job, as the competition has been learning this craft since early high school.
Yeah those bootcamps and certs in general have become so devalued by the sheer amount of normies seeing the salaries but having zero interest in programming, degrees at least filter out the less committed due to the investment cost and timeframe. I wouldn't even consider doing a certification unless my work covered it at this point.

• +1
Reactions: AscensionMan98
C++ is still used quite a bit last time I checked it was the top 3 most in demand.

I've also just heard people say it makes learning other languages easier and forces you to have good habits you wouldn't otherwise gain if you had learned a high abstracted language. It will take me 2 more months to finish the book I mentioned then I'm diving straight into python or JS.

It is comical to just imagine some data scientist having to work with this in mind. Imagine creating an algorithm to solve crime just starts spitting out black crime stats. AI can advance a lot but it probably won't be advanced enough to do the mental gymnastics most people do daily with "double think".
I think it's a great idea to start with a C style language as most of them cover programming logic/structures/algorithms which are what matter the most in the end.

JavaScript and Python have always felt to me like prototyping languages where you need to mockup something quickly, not to say they don't have their uses such as AI etc but its much better to start from the bottom.

Demand is there, I just think your spending more Time when python can write the same code in less.

Also another high iq idea is not going the strict programming route, but something like business analyst or data analyst or finance analyst, etc. Learning some financial modeling and then playing with data sets on python to do more advanced financial modeling on larger data sets, could open gateways to the financial world.

Financial modeling on excel ain't that hard. The programming on python could probably be self learnt for the basic stuff like financial modeling and maybe more in 4-8 months spending like 4-8 hours a day ( depends on iq, motivation, etc).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126 and cutecel
I think it's a great idea to start with a C style language as most of them cover programming logic/structures/algorithms which are what matter the most in the end.

JavaScript and Python have always felt to me like prototyping languages where you need to mockup something quickly, not to say they don't have their uses such as AI etc but its much better to start from the bottom.
You can certainly do more faster I did python for one week years ago it felt like C++ took 3X as long to do the same stuff.

But the difference with C++ is I understand more why things were doing the things they did. Python in many parts is basically just English but you also have no clue why it works just that it works. This becomes bad when your doing complex things its important to understand why things work a certain way not just the result itself. C++ is autistic and methodical but it forces me to always understand why certain things are happening

• +1
Good course for web, I did a little myself would recommend.
this course alone (you can even skip the redux part as redux is not that popular anymore) can get you a job

Probably won't be a Web Dev but I am going to learn JS/HTML
you are going to be a webdev
almost everyone does eventually
once you hit the market and see how low the demand for c++ or python or literally anything else is

just do yourself a favor and go into it from the beginning
lord knows how much headache and time would that have saved me

• +1
You can certainly do more faster I did python for one week years ago it felt like C++ took 3X as long to do the same stuff.

But the difference with C++ is I understand more why things were doing the things they did. Python in many parts is basically just English but you also have no clue why it works just that it works. This becomes bad when your doing complex things its important to understand why things work a certain way not just the result itself. C++ is autistic and methodical but it forces me to always understand why certain things are happening
True. If you master C++ you'll be able to learn everything else in lightning speed. And consider the finance/business analyst route. The cucks are wanting me to learn python and SQL unfortunately.

Some business consulting roles also are wanting analysts with these skills as every business you gotta analyze data to be able to give effective solutions.

These routes too have lot of applicants but not many would have that programming edge. So interesting angles to get some nice white collar job.

• +1

Yeah it does filter out most of the heavy lifting for you which comes with its positives and negatives but I'm autistic as well so I like to know what's going on under the hood :feelsrope:

• +1
this course alone (you can even skip the redux part as redux is not that popular anymore) can get you a job

once you hit the market and see how low the demand for c++ or python or literally anything else is

JavaScript demand is insane where I am and its such easy work.

• +1
Reactions: Mongrelcel

Thats what my buddy said most coding bootcamp people do lol. Accounting tbh has more demand. Boomers are quitting and most people find it boring. I regret not studying it as my major and doing finance.

Finance is too matured and over competitive. Tbh every white collar job is too high demand. I was in the financial services field then got fired. Anyone In sales, marketing , customer service can get in, or uni grad in finance or any other business fields . Going to try in accounting and supply chain as those areas are now much more in demand

• +1
JavaScript demand is insane where I am and its such easy work.
all I see is react, java and .net

which are used to accomplish the same thing really

Thats what my buddy said most coding bootcamp people do lol. Accounting tbh has more demand. Boomers are quitting and most people find it boring. I regret not studying it as my major and doing finance.

Finance is too matured and over competitive. Tbh every white collar job is too high demand. I was in the financial services field then got fired. Anyone In sales, marketing , customer service can get in, or uni grad in finance or any other business fields . Going to try in accounting and supply chain as those areas are now much more in demand
cope, I thought so too, that web programming is too over saturated, turns out it's not

• +1
Yeah it does filter out most of the heavy lifting for you which comes with its positives and negatives but I'm autistic as well so I like to know what's going on under the hood :feelsrope:
In the long run most logical things are easier if you understand reasoning behind it.

Math is the same if you try to memorize math you will fail its better to get good at the fundamentals because everything on some level is an abstraction of that. It can just be helpful sometimes to understand why things are happening rather then just knowing if you do x then y happens. Because then when it comes to creative solutions you will be at a loss.

• +1
Reactions: Mr.Heightism, STEVE GAMING and cutecel
all I see is react, java and .net

which are used to accomplish the same thing really

cope, I thought so too, that web programming is too over saturated, turns out it's not
Depends on where your looking at , I'm referring to jobs in big companies. In that case answer is yes, but outside of that it ain't . Same with finance. But obviously the pay won't be anywhere close to what some top company has.

True. If you master C++ you'll be able to learn everything else in lightning speed. And consider the finance/business analyst route. The cucks are wanting me to learn python and SQL unfortunately.

Some business consulting roles also are wanting analysts with these skills as every business you gotta analyze data to be able to give effective solutions.

These routes too have lot of applicants but not many would have that programming edge. So interesting angles to get some nice white collar job.
Yeah most people in data science are retarded. For context its the STEM field with the most women in it. Its mainly people who know how to copy and paste data and get an output. These people have no clue how the data is being manipulated just the steps to do it.

If you aren't a woman or POC this is a bad idea because this industry will be automated and your head is on the chopping block you aren't that useful and whenever its convenient they will do away with you.

• +1

I've been doing C++ for a month it will take me 2 more months to finish this book not going to stop that no matter what. I will need to learn HTML and JS anyways so yeah but I'm going to finish this book first

I was going to go into finance but I heard its bad if you don't have a connection. A lot of Finance grads just end up doing jobs that are basically sales. So if you aren't super NT your fucked. The actual economic/math/data side of Finance could be learned by any major its the sales part that will actually make you money unless you want to become a quant which basically selected for math majors before Finance majors.

So yeah if your a frat type of guy who is good in sales and has some legacy connection it is a good idea otherwise just learn sales/basic economic by yourself and get a similar role.

Last edited:
I was going to go into finance but I heard its bad if you don't have a connection. A lot of Finance grads just end up doing jobs that are basically sales. So if you aren't super NT your fucked. The actual economic/math/data side of Finance could be learned by any major its the sales part that will actually make you money unless you want to become a quant which basically selected for math majors before Finance majors.

So yeah if your a frat type of guy who is good in sales and has some legacy connection it is a good idea otherwise just learn sales/basic economic by yourself and get a similar role.
Yea unfortunately what your saying is true. And don't get me wrong their are tons of financial analyst jobs but like programming jobs its very competitive. Tons of applicants and you don't spend that much time on financial modeling, more like theory and conceptual stuff in uni which its core problem .

We did some modeling but much more on just theory and conceptual stuff and basic math stuff.

Accounting and CS are more application based at least.

The overall problem is globalization. That's why they put up artificial handicaps, because everything is getting outsourced. Degrees are being " required " in some more higher up sales positions just to prevent more people from qualifying for high paying roles.

But the degree fix is simple, can easily be bought online. 1.5-2.5k for fake degrees of quality. Obv risk is one could get scammed, and tbh its more about connections.

If you can do the job , and know its some foggy company with the " requirements " , then as long as you have a internal person to also vouch for you it would skip the corporate red tape. That's the high iq way to do it vs wasting your time in university.

• +1
Reactions: STEVE GAMING and Deleted member 11126
Yea unfortunately what your saying is true. And don't get me wrong their are tons of financial analyst jobs but like programming jobs its very competitive. Tons of applicants and you don't spend that much time on financial modeling, more like theory and conceptual stuff in uni which its core problem .

We did some modeling but much more on just theory and conceptual stuff and basic math stuff.

Accounting and CS are more application based at least.

The overall problem is globalization. That's why they put up artificial handicaps, because everything is getting outsourced. Degrees are being " required " in some more higher up sales positions just to prevent more people from qualifying for high paying roles.

But the degree fix is simple, can easily be bought online. 1.5-2.5k for fake degrees of quality. Obv risk is one could get scammed, and tbh its more about connections.

If you can do the job , and know its some foggy company with the " requirements " , then as long as you have a internal person to also vouch for you it would skip the corporate red tape. That's the high iq way to do it vs wasting your time in university.
Yeah but even roles like Financial analysis have huge hire rates for accountants CS and math majors. Pretty much you could get that role with anything like that. Only with a CS degree you can get a lot more jobs.

Math majors are also highly sought for high level Finance jobs. Do you think companies give two shits you did an Econ101 class or that you can make a spreadsheet. Its the programming and math skills that are hard to do not the other bs. It also depends on the Uni but unless your Ivy a CS major from any state school is 10X better for anything non sales related inherently.

Last edited:
  • +1
Yeah but even roles like Financial analysis have huge hire rates for accountants CS and math majors. Pretty much you could get that role with anything like that. Only with a CS degree you can get a lot more jobs.

Math majors are also highly sought for high level Finance jobs. Do you think companies give two shits you did an Econ101 class or that you can make a spreadsheet. Its the programming and math skills that are hard to do not the other bs. It also depends on the Uni but unless your Ivy a CS major from any state school is 10X better for anything non sales related inherently.
Yea CS opens a lot of doors. Honestly if I wasn't worried about my gpa I would have taken some computer classes, but it was hard as fuck for me and I knew it would take a lot of time to master. So to save my high school grades I avoided it ( dropped out fo the class I was in )

• Hmm...
Yea CS opens a lot of doors. Honestly if I wasn't worried about my gpa I would have taken some computer classes, but it was hard as fuck for me and I knew it would take a lot of time to master. So to save my high school grades I avoided it ( dropped out fo the class I was in )
How old did you say you were again?

gonna be mid 20s , wbu
I just turned 20 recently kinda tough to say coding is harder to get into older. Especially if you have no time. But I would say try 4-8 hours 5-6 days a week for a few months and see how far you get. If you can't do it then its likely a degree wouldn't have saved you since its your output that matters.

• +1
I just turned 20 recently kinda tough to say coding is harder to get into older. Especially if you have no time. But I would say try 4-8 hours 5-6 days a week for a few months and see how far you get. If you can't do it then its likely a degree wouldn't have saved you since its your output that matters.
True. . Yea I don't plan on doing programming specifically, but SQL and some python is currently what the market wants me to get. So gonna try to learn that and see how it goes.

• +1
Will be quite different if you don't have a STEM degree
(Major doesn't matter)
I'm in Uni want to get a paying internship instead of a part time job in retail

True. . Yea I don't plan on doing programming specifically, but SQL and some python is currently what the market wants me to get. So gonna try to learn that and see how it goes.
I would say make a plan and stick to it. Python C++ SQL if you did anything consistently it would be better then doing it perfect.

• +1
Most zoomers are retarded, don't have good work ethic or more then likely fall into both of these.

There are still million of these roles that cannot be fulfilled either people aren't high IQ enough or they can't work at it long enough. I'm not worried about zoomers or Indians because I'm confident I can beat them
true. i go to a nerd "college prep" school and maybe 5/40 students of my computer-related major learned how to actually code, including me. i highly doubt some of them even know how to utilize their coding ability either.

• +1
Reactions: Adamsmith12345
  • +1