Question to skincels starting accutane

redhoodreincarnate

redhoodreincarnate

Silver
Hey boys im thinking of starting accutane, but i am not sure because people have said that it stunts growth and what not

Another question i have is how long did it take you to see the results? And is it true that it brings out all acne first ( purging stage sorta)

• Hmm...
Reactions: aids
And is it true that it brings out all acne first ( purging stage sorta)
True, for everyone.

Another question i have is how long did it take you to see the results?
Personally, to see improvement, a few months initially, but this was a few years ago, when I was relatively unhealthy so it'd be exponentially faster if you take care of diet, exercise, etc.
Also dependent on dosage and obviously your individual reaction to it. I was taking 10mg/day at the time.

Hey boys im thinking of starting accutane, but i am not sure because people have said that it stunts growth and what not
Untrue, the study you're thinking of was a sustained superdose over long periods of time in very young individuals.
A recent study has come out suggesting that there is absolutely no effect on height from isotretinoin as the sample group who were taking isotretinoin ended up taller than the sample group who were not. I will find it and edit my post with link.

• +1
Reactions: NZb6Air and redhoodreincarnate
True, for everyone.

Personally, to see improvement, a few months initially, but this was a few years ago, when I was relatively unhealthy so it'd be exponentially faster if you take care of diet, exercise, etc.
Also dependent on dosage and obviously your individual reaction to it. I was taking 10mg/day at the time.

Untrue, the study you're thinking of was a sustained superdose over long periods of time in very young individuals.
A recent study has come out suggesting that there is absolutely no effect on height from isotretinoin as the sample group who were taking isotretinoin ended up taller than the sample group who were not. I will find it and edit my post with link.
Thank you very much for the help mate, how long does the purging stage last?

• +1
Thank you very much for the help mate, how long does the purging stage last?
Again variable dependent on diet, dosage, etc.
For most beginning to take it, I'd expect to begin seeing improvements within 30 days of taking it with a dose of around 10mg/day.

• +1
Reactions: redhoodreincarnate
Again variable dependent on diet, dosage, etc.
For most beginning to take it, I'd expect to begin seeing improvements within 30 days of taking it with a dose of around 10mg/day.
im 17 in highschool right now, i am tall but i do have quite severe acne ( grade 3 acordinf to the dermitologist) its not completely encasing my face hut i have ALOT of cheek acne And no forehead acne and some pimples here and there on my chin

Would you recommend me to start 10 mg/ day of accutane to get rid of this?

• +1
It's not published yet or it's not accessible so u can't use it without even reading it , https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(24)01129-0/fulltext
This is the study I was referring to but there are also studies where taking isotretinoin in childhood compared to doxycycline saw those that took isotretinoin at a taller adult height than the antibiotic. Obviously doxycycline is terrible though so this is no definitive indicator.
Links at the bottom of this page under references.
  1. Cole HL, Shen L. Association Between Pediatric Isotretinoin Treatment and Adult Body Height in Acne Patients. Paper presented at: American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) 2024 Annual Meeting. March 8 – 12, 2024. San Diego, CA.
  2. Cardoso-Demartini AA, Boguszewski CL, Boguszewski MCS. Potential Effects of Oral Isotretinoin on Growth Plate and Height. Endocrines. 2023; 4(2):281-292. https://doi.org/10.3390/endocrines4020023

• +1
Reactions: NZb6Air and redhoodreincarnate
im 17 in highschool right now, i am tall but i do have quite severe acne ( grade 3 acordinf to the dermitologist) its not completely encasing my face hut i have ALOT of cheek acne And no forehead acne and some pimples here and there on my chin

Would you recommend me to start 10 mg/ day of accutane to get rid of this?
Have you first exhausted other options and gotten bloodwork done (a random lipids test) to see if you're a good candidate for isotretinoin first? Isotretinoin should obviously not be your first resort but at the same time, it's not as bad as a lot of people say so long as you routinely assess your liver health to make sure you're tolerating it well.
Personally, if I was in your position, I would start the isotretinoin if I had severe acne once I'd gotten the go ahead with good blood results. I have no idea about what "grade 3" acne entails but the improvement in your skin is worth any slight detriment to your hormones, especially if you're already tall anyway.

• +1

If your acne looks like the bottom left, I'd bite the bullet with isotretinoin. Your quality of life will improve significantly.

Have you first exhausted other options and gotten bloodwork done (a random lipids test) to see if you're a good candidate for isotretinoin first? Isotretinoin should obviously not be your first resort but at the same time, it's not as bad as a lot of people say so long as you routinely assess your liver health to make sure you're tolerating it well.
Personally, if I was in your position, I would start the isotretinoin if I had severe acne once I'd gotten the go ahead with good blood results. I have no idea about what "grade 3" acne entails but the improvement in your skin is worth any slight detriment to your hormones, especially if you're already tall anyway.
Thank you very much, yeah my doctor had me do the blood test and everything

How long does the purging stage on average last? Thats the part im really scared of i havw quite bad self confidenve because of my acne and im scared the purging is gonna destroy me

Thank you very much, yeah my doctor had me do the blood test and everything

How long does the purging stage on average last? Thats the part im really scared of i havw quite bad self confidenve because of my acne and im scared the purging is gonna destroy me
I empathise with you bro, but at the end of the day, you have to suffer to net positive results in any endeavour.
10mg is a low dosage, so the purge will not be as extreme, a higher dosage means you purge harder and faster, but it's over quicker, vice versa for lower dosage.
Your acne is objectively already not great from the reference photo and I know it sucks, but it's a sacrifice you have to make.
Make sure to use moisturiser, drink lots of water, and don't worry about how bad your purge will be, it's majorly overplayed anyway, it will not be as bad as you're expecting now.

• +1
I empathise with you bro, but at the end of the day, you have to suffer to net positive results in any endeavour.
10mg is a low dosage, so the purge will not be as extreme, a higher dosage means you purge harder and faster, but it's over quicker, vice versa for lower dosage.
Your acne is objectively already not great from the reference photo and I know it sucks, but it's a sacrifice you have to make.
Make sure to use moisturiser, drink lots of water, and don't worry about how bad your purge will be, it's majorly overplayed anyway, it will not be as bad as you're expecting now.
thank you very much for the help

• Love it
More than welcome, PM me if you want any more help.
Isotretinoin is a good decision, you definitely won't regret it :ogre:(y)
Will do mate🫶🏻

• Love it