Recommend your favorite books.

ngl haven't read a book in a long ass time. But currently reading Murtagh and plugging it into this technotutor shut. Even though technotutor is a huge scam LOL.

• JFL
Reactions: Manletmachine
The Bugalugs Bum Thief

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois
The book is incredible from start to finish. Zoomer attention span tbh.

This is the opening. It literally just sounds like a post someone would write on here but with boring details added:

On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge.

He had successfully avoided meeting his landlady on the staircase. His garret was under the roof of a high, five-storied house and was more like a cupboard than a room. The landlady who provided him with garret, dinners, and attendance, lived on the floor below, and every time he went out he was obliged to pass her kitchen, the door of which invariably stood open. And each time he passed, the young man had a sick, frightened feeling, which made him scowl and feel ashamed. He was hopelessly in debt to his landlady, and was afraid of meeting her.

This was not because he was cowardly and abject, quite the contrary; but for some time past he had been in an overstrained irritable condition, verging on hypochondria. He had become so completely absorbed in himself, and isolated from his fellows that he dreaded meeting, not only his landlady, but anyone at all. He was crushed by poverty, but the anxieties of his position had of late ceased to weigh upon him. He had given up attending to matters of practical importance; he had lost all desire to do so. Nothing that any landlady could do had a real terror for him. But to be stopped on the stairs, to be forced to listen to her trivial, irrelevant gossip, to pestering demands for payment, threats and complaints, and to rack his brains for excuses, to prevaricate, to lie—no, rather than that, he would creep down the stairs like a cat and slip out unseen.

• Love it
This is the opening. It literally just sounds like a post someone would write on here but with boring details added:

On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge.

He had successfully avoided meeting his landlady on the staircase. His garret was under the roof of a high, five-storied house and was more like a cupboard than a room. The landlady who provided him with garret, dinners, and attendance, lived on the floor below, and every time he went out he was obliged to pass her kitchen, the door of which invariably stood open. And each time he passed, the young man had a sick, frightened feeling, which made him scowl and feel ashamed. He was hopelessly in debt to his landlady, and was afraid of meeting her.

This was not because he was cowardly and abject, quite the contrary; but for some time past he had been in an overstrained irritable condition, verging on hypochondria. He had become so completely absorbed in himself, and isolated from his fellows that he dreaded meeting, not only his landlady, but anyone at all. He was crushed by poverty, but the anxieties of his position had of late ceased to weigh upon him. He had given up attending to matters of practical importance; he had lost all desire to do so. Nothing that any landlady could do had a real terror for him. But to be stopped on the stairs, to be forced to listen to her trivial, irrelevant gossip, to pestering demands for payment, threats and complaints, and to rack his brains for excuses, to prevaricate, to lie—no, rather than that, he would creep down the stairs like a cat and slip out unseen.
Making me want to reread it again, fuaaark insane.

• JFL
Reactions: romanstock
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
The Rebel - Albert Camus
Sexual Personae - Camille Paglia
Anti-Oedipus - Deleuze & Guattari
The Bugalugs Bum Thief
Added.

Also @Bvnny. @PseduoAryan @oatmeal @Beastimmung @Vermilioncore @TechnoBoss @AlexBrown84 @LooksOrDeath @futuregigamogger @shabby890 @heightmaxxing @High Cortisol Chad
I bought Yukio Mishima's "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea" and Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" today for a total of 15 euros, good reads?

• +1
Reactions: Vermilioncore
Added.

Also @Bvnny. @PseduoAryan @oatmeal @Beastimmung @Vermilioncore @TechnoBoss @AlexBrown84 @LooksOrDeath @futuregigamogger @shabby890 @heightmaxxing @High Cortisol Chad
I bought Yukio Mishima's "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea" and Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" today for a total of 15 euros, good reads?
Have never read Mishima but just reading his biography, amazing guy

• +1
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Baron in the Trees - Italo Calvino

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 61535
metamorphosis is garbageeee
vouch

started decently and then got ass

for me:
fiction -> gates of fire
non fiction -> the almanack of naval ravikant /

Last edited:
  • +1
Did you read it? If so, can you tell me the general story without spoiling the ending? Curious about this book.

Interesting.
The first book is pretty famous actually, especially in America. Btw it talks about teen angsty. It is about the struggles of the main charachter, Holden Caulfield, who feels misunderstood by others and he hates adulthood becuase of its phoniness. He basically roams around his hometown NYC while having deep thoughts about existence and pointing out the flaws of society. I think this novel is still pretty relevant to this day.

edit
yes I read it and fucking enjoyed it, I felt understood.

• +1
The first book is pretty famous actually, especially in America. Btw it talks about teen angsty. It is about the struggles of the main charachter, Holden Caulfield, who feels misunderstood by others and he hates adulthood becuase of its phoniness. He basically roams around his hometown NYC while having deep thoughts about existence and pointing out the flaws of society. I think this novel is still pretty relevant to this day.

edit
yes I read it and fucking enjoyed it, I felt understood.
I know it is really famous hence why I wanted to hear someone explain it. Sounds great man I will get it.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 61535
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harai

simply amazing book about the history of civilizations in humankind and it is written in way many can understand and enjoy.

read it all in 2 days

• +1
Added.

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea is a great intro to Mishima
never read The Prince but it's pretty much a instruction manual, like Art of War

• +1
Title.

Preferably books with good psychological and philosophical depth.

Also less known books if you know of any fantastic non mainstream ones. I have most of the famous ones covered already.

@blackckatt @Bvnny. @Vermilioncore @ReadBooksEveryday @LooksOrDeath @slayer69 @julianchicago @NordicMaxxer
Éramos de Rotterdam Elogio a la locura idk the name in english

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: ConfusedBolivian
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea is a great intro to Mishima
never read The Prince but it's pretty much a instruction manual, like Art of War
I started reading it today, it's incredible, so many profound thoughts and ideas applicable to anyone having a structure he rules over and needs to protect, can metaphorically get wired over and applied to A LOT of things that aren't empires; companies and families especially.

Also I bought The Master and Margarita today FYI.

• +1
Reactions: BrahminBoss
Hard copy of this where?
on thriftbooks i know there is a copy available for $10 or so.

if not that, i just know you can find paperbacks of it online.

or... you can just be like me and steal it and a differential equations textbook from your uni library.

• +1
Reactions: BrahminBoss
This was not because he was cowardly and abject, quite the contrary; but for some time past he had been in an overstrained irritable condition, verging on hypochondria.
damn i dont wanna read this trash anymore. i thought the main character was a cowardly incel like the protagonist in notes from the underground

Title.

Preferably books with good psychological and philosophical depth.

Also less known books if you know of any fantastic non mainstream ones. I have most of the famous ones covered already.

@blackckatt @Bvnny. @Vermilioncore @ReadBooksEveryday @LooksOrDeath @slayer69 @julianchicago @NordicMaxxer
Gracy's Wet Granny <---a must-read!

The Nick in Tom <---eh, it's questionable

Follow the Leader Into Milk Duds

The Keyboard Universe

China's Looksmax Initiative - A Spy Story

• Woah
Gracy's Wet Granny <---a must-read!

The Nick in Tom <---eh, it's questionable

Follow the Leader Into Milk Duds

The Keyboard Universe

China's Looksmax Initiative - A Spy Story