Discussion Should mindless crypto shilling be disallowed?

Should it be disallowed?

  • Yes

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Not sure

    Votes: 6 24.0%

  • Total voters
    25
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
17,175
Reputation
32,740
When Serge created this sub-forum, I don’t think he envisioned this sub-forum to be but another spot for people to shill their crypto coins.

It’s so pervasive there’s hardly any meaningful discussion taking place, I don’t plan on disallowing talk about crypto in general but I do want to get rid of blatant shilling that does nothing for the forum or its users.

Though before coming to a conclusion, I’d like to hear your thoughts and sentiments.

EDIT: I HAVE COME TO A CONCLUSION. FROM NOW ON, NO MORE MINDLESS SHILLING OF CRYPTOCURRENCIES, IF YOU DO SO, YOU WILL GET WARNED.
 
Last edited:
Deleted member 6963

Deleted member 6963

Overlord
Joined
May 15, 2020
Posts
2,037
Reputation
3,886
Alexanderr said:
When Serge created this sub-forum, I don’t think he envisioned this sub-forum to be but another spot for people to shill their crypto coins.

It’s so pervasive there’s hardly any meaningful discussion taking place, I don’t plan on disallowing talk about crypto in general but I do want to get rid of blatant shilling that does nothing for the forum or its users.

Though before coming to a conclusion, I’d like to hear your thoughts and sentiments.
No, if people bought what I told them when I told them, they would've 20x their money (and counting).

As long as people don't act like cult leaders who can predict the future of their recently 50xd 2billion mcap shitcoins, shilling projects can be very helpful.
 
Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
17,175
Reputation
32,740
CookiesAndCream said:
No, if people bought what I told them when I told them, they would've 20x their money (and counting).
It could’ve very well have gone the other way but if you give people sound, structed arguments as to why you should invest in a cryptocurrency, sure, I’ll allow that.
CookiesAndCream said:
As long as people don't act like cult leaders who can predict the future of their recently 50xd 2billion mcap shitcoins
That’s exactly what’s happening.
 
O

one job away

Zephir
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Posts
7,041
Reputation
8,440
Alexanderr said:
When Serge created this sub-forum, I don’t think he envisioned this sub-forum to be but another spot for people to shill their crypto coins.

It’s so pervasive there’s hardly any meaningful discussion taking place, I don’t plan on disallowing talk about crypto in general but I do want to get rid of blatant shilling that does nothing for the forum or its users.

Though before coming to a conclusion, I’d like to hear your thoughts and sentiments.
I don’t even know what shilling is but I always get a good laugh out of crypto users. Why do you wanna change the forum?

if you wanna do something good make it so you can edit rated section posts typos
 
O

one job away

Zephir
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Posts
7,041
Reputation
8,440
.👽. said:
this forum greatest thing is that you can talk About everything tbh I wouldn't change it:Comfy:
Especially this
 
Deleted member 6963

Deleted member 6963

Overlord
Joined
May 15, 2020
Posts
2,037
Reputation
3,886
Alexanderr said:
It could’ve very well have gone the other way but if you give people sound, structed arguments as to why you should invest in a cryptocurrency, sure, I’ll allow that.

That’s exactly what’s happening.
Should still be allowed imo. Maybe issue a warning/ make a post about the risks of investing, but everyone who does that should be aware of the risks in the first place.
Maybe warn people when they make the 3rd post about the same meme coin (and stop whatamIdoinwithmylyf @whatamIdoinwithmylyf from making crypto threads).

You don't have to change the forum tbh.
 
Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
17,175
Reputation
32,740
one job away said:
I don’t even know what shilling is but I always get a good laugh out of crypto users. Why do you wanna change the forum?
This sub-forum isn’t for entertainment though, it essentially serves as a place where people can get educated and have discussions on things essential in getting ahead in life, whether that be investing, employment or acquiring new skills.
Mindlessly shilling a cryptocurrency you went balls deep in, hoping others will too because it benefits you doesn’t contribute to that.
 
O

one job away

Zephir
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Posts
7,041
Reputation
8,440
Alexanderr said:
This sub-forum isn’t for entertainment though, it essentially serves as a place where people can get educated and have discussions on things essential in getting ahead in life, whether that be investing, employment or acquiring new skills.
Mindlessly shilling a cryptocurrency you went balls deep in, hoping others will too because it benefits you doesn’t contribute to that.
This whole place is for entertainment
 
Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
17,175
Reputation
32,740
.👽. said:
this forum greatest thing is that you can talk About everything tbh I wouldn't change it:Comfy:
Then that undermines the intent of the forum, fundamentally it’s still a self-improvement forum hence the name “Looksmax” and this sub-forum is serves that idea self-improvement. We wouldn’t want the looksmaxing section to be riddled with unrelated shitposts either so why should this section?
one job away said:
This whole place is for entertainment
No.
 
O

one job away

Zephir
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Posts
7,041
Reputation
8,440
Alexanderr said:
Then that undermines the intent of the forum, fundamentally it’s still a self-improvement forum hence the name “Looksmax” and this sub-forum is serves that idea self-improvement. We wouldn’t want the looksmaxing section to be riddled with unrelated shitposts either so why should this section?

No.
If you change the idgaf what you guys talk about policy idk if this is good.
 
Last edited:
Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
17,175
Reputation
32,740
CookiesAndCream said:
Should still be allowed imo. Maybe issue a warning/ make a post about the risks of investing, but everyone who does that should be aware of the risks in the first place.
Maybe warn people when they make the 3rd post about the same meme coin (and stop whatamIdoinwithmylyf @whatamIdoinwithmylyf from making crypto threads).

You don't have to change the forum tbh.
I don’t think so, I am not against advocating for a cryptocurrency when there’s good reason to but I’m against mindlessly endorsing it with the intent that others buy into the shitcoins you own. It doesn’t contribute anything, if anything, it just repels users that did come with the intention of finding useful stuff.
 
Vex

Vex

No More Lies
Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Posts
568
Reputation
2,444
Alexanderr @Alexanderr My vote is yes, ban it. Even if the shilling is transparent, there are three arguments I can think of against it.

One is that the subforum is for Moneymaking and Success. By nature, a pump and dump crypto scheme means the exact opposite—Losing Money and Failure—for the vast majority of people left holding the bag.

The second is that the site attracts, somewhat hilariously, a suggestible and desperate demographic. Should such people, ones who are willing to bet the presumable dozens to hundreds of US dollars they have to their names on the advice of some rabid crypto shill, all for a shot at winning enough money to probably get some surgery they’ll do anything for, not be protected from themselves? I mean, far be it from me, just speaking personally, to stop people from reaping the fruit of their own stupidity, but the whole point of this site I thought was to assist each other. Like imagine if someone was maliciously sharing intentionally misleading surgery advice. Would you allow that? Or maybe more analogously, imagine if in this section it was popular to promote any other Ponzi scheme. Penny stocks, Herbalife, or other ways to fleece these poor idiots. Would you allow those in their heyday?

My last argument, as someone who is discriminating, is that the shitty crypto hype-job posts are just intellectually offensive and tiresome. They do nothing but drag down the quality of discussion, and I was under the impression that that’s what Off-Topic was for.
 
Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
17,175
Reputation
32,740
Vespertide said:
Alexanderr @Alexanderr My vote is yes, ban it. Even if the shilling is transparent, there are three arguments I can think of against it.

One is that the subforum is for Moneymaking and Success. By nature, a pump and dump crypto scheme means the exact opposite—Losing Money and Failure—for the vast majority of people left holding the bag.

The second is that the site attracts, somewhat hilariously, a suggestible and desperate demographic. Should such people, ones who are willing to bet the presumable dozens to hundreds of US dollars they have to their names on the advice of some rabid crypto shill, all for a shot at winning enough money to probably get some surgery they’ll do anything for, not be protected from themselves? I mean, far be it from me, just speaking personally, to stop people from reaping the fruit of their own stupidity, but the whole point of this site I thought was to assist each other. Like imagine if someone was maliciously sharing intentionally misleading surgery advice. Would you allow that? Or maybe more analogously, imagine if in this section it was popular to promote any other Ponzi scheme. Penny stocks, Herbalife, or other ways to fleece these poor idiots. Would you allow those in their heyday?

My last argument, as someone who is discriminating, is that the shitty crypto hype-job posts are just intellectually offensive and tiresome. They do nothing but drag down the quality of discussion, and I was under the impression that that’s what Off-Topic was for.
All very sound arguments, can’t say I disagree, though the ban might come at the expense of activity on this subforum, like was pointed out to me in PMs and it’s still rather ambiguous whether it’ll truly elevate the standard of discussion.
I suppose to comes down to which is valued more the integrity of the sub-forum or its activity.

In the end, I think I’ll ban it, it’s not a zero-sum game, as more valuable information piles up within the sub-forum, it’ll appeal to more users.
 
ifyouwannabemylover

ifyouwannabemylover

Life on hold
Joined
Sep 20, 2020
Posts
8,511
Reputation
14,715
interesting idea but have you even invested in floki op?
 
elfmaxx

elfmaxx

Zephir
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
Posts
4,963
Reputation
6,124
Yes
crypto shilling indians have ruined many good forums

it pisses me off so much
I can't wait until they skulk back into the shadows when the bear market begins
 
sergeant blackpill

sergeant blackpill

Certified Lookism PhD & Licensed SlutHater
Joined
Dec 17, 2020
Posts
1,744
Reputation
2,560
I like this forum because it's very open and you can post pretty much anything, don't start infringing on that unless you want this site to become reddit 2.0
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Top