Silicone Vs PEEK Implants - What Mogs And Why?

B

Barbarossa_

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying
Title

• +1
Reactions: .👽. and Incognegro
PEEK. Feels more like bone and less chance for infection

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2506 and Adrenochrome
PEEK and any other firm rigid polymers as a facial implant material have a role to play in reconstructive surgery but not so much in the aesthetic patient for two primary reasons. First and foremost there is the surgical access needed to place the material. A rigid implant requires wide open incisional access or, at the least, longer incisions and a much bigger implant pocket. This is a major disadvantage over more flexible materials like silicone which can be placed through smaller incisions and then acquire the feel of bone when the backing on which they rest is bone. Secondly, custom designing of a PEEK implant is far more expensive than that of other materials like silicone often being 2X to 3X more expensive.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: SteveRogers, Administrator, Adrenochrome and 2 others
Peek is superior

• +1
Reactions: Adrenochrome
PEEK and any other firm rigid polymers as a facial implant material have a role to play in reconstructive surgery but not so much in the aesthetic patient for two primary reasons. First and foremost there is the surgical access needed to place the material. A rigid implant requires wide open incisional access or, at the least, longer incisions and a much bigger implant pocket. This is a major disadvantage over more flexible materials like silicone which can be placed through smaller incisions and then acquire the feel of bone when the backing on which they rest is bone. Secondly, custom designing of a PEEK implant is far more expensive than that of other materials like silicone often being 2X to 3X more expensive.
But is it true that PEEK cause less infection?

• +1
Reactions: Adrenochrome, Hepatologyscribe and Almu
The PEEK implant a user got here despite the whole broscience about it being superior (it's not) ended up looking very underwhelming. (or Defranq chose to show the least impressive after photos)

Dr-Joel-Defrancq-1582217845044778200_4124.jpg

Dr-Joel-Defrancq-1582218038082449700_9259.jpg

That is not to say silicone can't end up looking like shit but just lol at anyone that thinks that the harder the material is the more likely it is to "mimic" bone. That's all bullshit.

This is all silicone

dFIMEKC.png

ijWKDlI.jpg

Implant design and appropriate soft tissue thickness is what matters the most apparently. Seems kind of hit and miss IMO, no matter the material.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: SteveRogers, randomvanish, Hepatologyscribe and 6 others
The PEEK implant a user got here despite the whole broscience about it being superior (it's not) ended up looking very underwhelming. (or Defranq chose to show the least impressive after photos)

That is not to say silicone can't end up looking like shit but just lol at anyone that thinks that the harder the material is the more likely it is to "mimic" bone. That's all bullshit.

This is all silicone

dFIMEKC.png

ijWKDlI.jpg

Implant design and appropriate soft tissue thickness is what matters the most apparently. Seems kind of hit and miss IMO.
the first guy looked better before.

the first guy looked better before.
I really can't tell what's going on here, I'm pretty sure I remember some other photos that he posted here, the jaw looked much better. Those on the site however, he barely looks like he had any work/improvement done.

• +1
Reactions: Barbarossa_
I really can't tell what's going on here, I'm pretty sure I remember some other photos that he posted here, the jaw looked much better. Those on the site however, he barely looks like he had any work/improvement done.
Possibly residual swelling

• +1
Yep this guy here said that Defranq is bias toward the European softer features and Defranq kept grilling him to take his design rather than the one he did with Dr Y that's why his jawline looks crap.

I think with epply or dr Y they would have made him a Chad!

• +1
Reactions: Hepatologyscribe
Possibly residual swelling
I thought the same at first but then noticed the after photos are 4 months post op. While the user posted photos 1.5 - 2 months after his surgery.

Unless you meant to say that the initial swelling was what made his jaw look bigger.

There is definitely some residual swelling left here. At the same time the design sucks by any objective measure. Still it has to be considered a 'good' outcome by Defrancq's poor aesthetic standards. Defrancq also ripped this guy's masseter muscle on the left side. Defrancq is just a traditional maxfac who ventured into the lucrative area of custom facial implants. He is only in it for the shekels and completely lacks an aesthetic eye. He totally botched the design of my friend's jaw implant with only 3 days remaining to the scheduled surgery and then proceeded to manufacture it without explicit consent. He then lied through his teeth to convince my friend to go through with the surgery. Of course, by then the money had already been deposited and to get out of the surgery, my friend would have to pay for the design and manufacture of the implant (around 4500 euros) plus 30% of all fees related to the surgery and after care. My friend ended up with an oblong face, and an undefined jawline and chin. To top it off, Defrancq ripped both of his masseter muscles. He looks worse now than before surgery and now hides his lower third under a beard. When he brought up the fact that the result looked nothing like what Defrancq had promised, Defrancq told him to go see a shrink. Brutal.

Last edited:
I can tell you guys what Yaremchuk told me in person, "I do a lot of custom silicone but Medpor is probably better for the mandible". He felt a more rigid material gave better results in the jaw, whereas in the midface it probably didn't matter.

• +1
Reactions: sloopnoob and Brandon10
I can tell you guys what Yaremchuk told me in person, "I do a lot of custom silicone but Medpor is probably better for the mandible". He felt a more rigid material gave better results in the jaw, whereas in the midface it probably didn't matter.
keep in mind dr Y has financial investment in medpor

• +1
Reactions: Adrenochrome, Hepatologyscribe and Deleted member 4054
keep in mind dr Y has financial investment in medpor

He has a stake in a company that makes a medpor-like product (it's not stryker/medpor, its a different manufacturer), but my impression was he answered honestly.

• +1
Reactions: Adrenochrome, Hepatologyscribe and crosshold
He has a stake in a company that makes a medpor-like product (it's not stryker/medpor, its a different manufacturer), but my impression was he answered honestly.
oh i thought it was them

oh i thought it was them

I just looked it up again, the company is Matrix surgical out of Atlanta, and the product is called OMNIPORE. Basically the same as Medpor

• +1
Reactions: Adrenochrome and Hepatologyscribe
Did he tell you anything else about materials in general? Eppley's seems to be very keen on saying that no material is superior than the other but he's also affiliated with Implantech.

• +1
Reactions: Adrenochrome and Deleted member 4054
Did he tell you anything else about materials in general? Eppley's seems to be very keen on saying that no material is superior than the other but he's also affiliated with Implantech.

That's basically all he said about materials, and he didn't think it mattered all that much, but he did elaborate that in his opinion Medpor/Omnipor gives a more defined look in the mandible. Make of it what you will

• +1
Reactions: sloopnoob, Adrenochrome and Brandon10

More.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Almu

I’m surprised you don’t know bro... tbh
There’s a lot of misinformation in this thread.

PEEK. Feels more like bone and less chance for infection

^^ I actually agree with @honk for once.

PEEK and any other firm rigid polymers as a facial implant material have a role to play in reconstructive surgery but not so much in the aesthetic patient for two primary reasons. First and foremost there is the surgical access needed to place the material. A rigid implant requires wide open incisional access or, at the least, longer incisions and a much bigger implant pocket. This is a major disadvantage over more flexible materials like silicone which can be placed through smaller incisions and then acquire the feel of bone when the backing on which they rest is bone.

^^sounds like a journal article written by a surgeon who uses almost exclusively silicone a’la Dr. Y or E. (Bias). I heard the same exact garbage spewed to me by both of the aforementioned, in consultation.

I can tell you from experience, that while wider and longer incisions are not desired, they had no bearing on my outcome aesthetically; as they were all intra-oral incisions, unlike with my silicone incisions that left a displeasing scar under my chin because Dr. Y. chose to use an external approach for the chin portion.

Quite strange to use an external approach for such a “small and flexibleimplant material (including the chin portion of the implant being smaller than the jaw portion), despite the claims of less chance for infection which are NOT TRUE, as my infection started from my external incision under my chin!

Secondly, custom designing of a PEEK implant is far more expensive than that of other materials like silicone often being 2X to 3X more expensive.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Simply not true. My custom PEEK AND genioplasty cost LESS than my custom silicone wraparound.

Implant design and appropriate soft tissue thickness is what matters the most apparently. Seems kind of hit and miss IMO, no matter the material.

^^ While I’ve experienced both and prefer PEEK for obvious reasons, I agree with @Brandon10 regarding his last sentiment - 💯
Implant design, soft tissue and the surgical hands that you entrust will dictate your aesthetic outcome FAR MORE than any material you choose.

Yep this guy here said that Defranq is bias toward the European softer features and Defranq kept grilling him to take his design rather than the one he did with Dr Y

^^ That was me bro... not @Sal123 (damn man, lol you’re trippin tonight?) Seems I really need to finish that thread to tie up loose ends.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Barbarossa_, Deleted member 4054 and Brandon10
^^ That was me bro... not @Sal123 (damn man, lol you’re trippin tonight?) Seems I really need to finish that thread to tie up loose ends.

Europeans prefer softer features?

Europeans prefer softer features?

European surgeons (specifically Defrancq) - Zarrinbal and Raff gave the same exact vibe and said as such.

I remember (early on when we were just building rapport) I showed Defrancq a photo of a model (specifically for a convex area I needed more defined) and he literally chopped him up via photoshop to soften his immaculate bone structure (reduced his chin vertically, softened his jaw line etc...)

^^ We couldn’t disagree more on aesthetics at that point.

TBH ... Americanmaxers aka burgerlandmaxers should be thanking me for the ground work I laid with Defrancq with respect to the American aesthetic preference (it was quite vexing).

As to European people (I can’t speak for them) but it does seem they prefer what they would deem more, “natural” (not as much advancement and not as sharp or well defined lines/contours).

• +1
Reactions: piesdescalzos, Barbarossa_, Brandon10 and 2 others
TBH ... Americanmaxers aka burgerlandmaxers should be thanking me for the ground work I laid with Defrancq with respect to the American aesthetic preference (it was quite vexing).

Bold narcissist but same
European surgeons (specifically Defrancq) - Zarrinbal and Raff gave the same exact vibe and said as such.

I remember (early on when we were just building rapport) I showed Defrancq a photo of a model (specifically for a convex area I needed more defined) and he literally chopped him up via photoshop to soften his immaculate bone structure (reduced his chin vertically, softened his jaw line etc...)

^^ We couldn’t disagree more on aesthetics at that point.

As to European people (I can’t speak for them) but it does seem they prefer what they would deem more, “natural” (not as much advancement and not as sharp or well defined lines/contours).

Europeanmax theory

• +1
Dr Y has a better aesthetic eye than most other surgeons, and he's confident enough to design a dramatic result if you communicate to him that's what you want. The fact that he was a Chad himself when younger might have something to do with it

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Wallenberg, Oberyn, ProjectAscension and 3 others
Dr Y has a better aesthetic eye than most other surgeons, and he's confident enough to design a dramatic result if you communicate to him that's what you want. The fact that he was a Chad himself when younger might have something to do with it

Amazing

And I read he was conservative af and denied an extra 2mm for a midface implant by a member here

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4054
Amazing

And I read he was conservative af and denied an extra 2mm for a midface implant by a member here

I know, I keep hearing that but trust me he's NOT conservative with implant dimensions if you're a male and communicate to him you want a very masculine result. If anything, left to their own devices he designs larger implants than Eppley, the difference is Eppley with give you something completely retarded if you ask for it like a 60mm wide chin, whereas Dr Y won't.

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg, Tallooksmaxxer, Barbarossa_ and 2 others
I know, I keep hearing that but trust me he's NOT conservative with implant dimensions if you're a male and communicate to him you want a very masculine result. If anything, left to their own devices he designs larger implants than Eppley, the difference is Eppley with give you something completely retarded if you ask for it like a 60mm wide chin, whereas Dr Y won't.

I think that just goes to show 1 persons review/experience isn't much to go off of to form an opinion of a surgeon

I think that just goes to show 1 persons review/experience isn't much to go off of to form an opinion of a surgeon

That guy had a good result imo, he just wanted something VERY dramatic and they weren't on the same page before the surgery. But the way Dr Y handled Adrenochromes infection and made him pay for the removal leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He should have eaten that cost

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg, Barbarossa_ and Adrenochrome
That guy had a good result imo, he just wanted something VERY dramatic and they weren't on the same page before the surgery. But the way Dr Y handled Adrenochromes infection and made him pay for the removal leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He should have eaten that cost

I disagree tbh. Having to get revision surgery is a risk you agree to and its normal to get billed for it at most places. Elective surgery is private medicine and you have to fund it all yourself out of pocket.

Lets say you got non-elective surgery and it got infected or some other complication and had to get revision surgery.... That doctor wouldn't eat the cost LOL he would bill insurance for the second procedure and insurance would pay it (as they should, because thats valuable surgical time regardless of whether its a revision or not.)

Its not any doctors fault that there is an infection if they used all the precautions. And I'll say again: You sign and agree to the risks including needing more surgery

This is all silicone

dFIMEKC.png

ijWKDlI.jpg

lmfao that retard spent like 16k for a ROUND JAW IMPLANT that gives him a fat under chin jfl

Y ate it (less the cost of the aenesthiesologist) unless he was just upselling the aenesthiesologist fee? (I don’t think so, as 4K seems standard in America and those guys get PAID PROPER)

but I will say ... that there was a WORLD of difference in aftercare regarding post op complications, comparatively speaking (Y vs. Defrancq) and after everything, I would chose Defrancq hands down.

In the end.... I had a good situation, in that I had my design by Y. and the surgical hands/care of Defrancq. Best of both worlds 🖼 🌎 + 🌍 🔪 =🤵🏻✨

• +1
Reactions: Barbarossa_ and Deleted member 4054
Y ate it (less the cost of the aenesthiesologist) unless he was just upselling the aenesthiesologist fee? (I don’t think so, as 4K seems standard in America and those guys get PAID PROPER)

but I will say ... that there was a WORLD of difference in aftercare regarding post op complications, comparatively speaking (Y vs. Defrancq) and after everything, I would chose Defrancq hands down.

In the end.... I had a good situation, in that I had my design by Y. and the surgical hands/care of Defrancq. Best of both worlds 🖼 🌎 + 🌍 🔪 =🤵🏻✨

Nice. Yeah Defrancq seems like a good guy, and he put you on the perfect antibiotic regimen.

• +1
Nice. Yeah Defrancq seems like a good guy, and he put you on the perfect antibiotic regimen.

^^ Thanks to you my man! 👊🏼 ... honestly, I don’t know (can’t say for sure) if he would have switched it up like he did, if it weren’t for mentioning the combination of A\B’s you told me about that covered all bases (he was pretty dead set about just one a/b being good enough early on).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4054
I think it depends on the patient and their needs bro.

There's no OSFA

I think those pics are taken during the healing phase. There's still some edema in the face

• +1
I think those pics are taken during the healing phase. There's still some edema in the face
I was just about to say the same thing.

I've seen a few before and after pictures of wraparound implants taken over several months. The after pictures don't usually look good until around 6-9 months, depending on the case. Sometimes longer.

• +1
The real question is can I fight niggas after I get implants?

This is all silicone

dFIMEKC.png

ijWKDlI.jpg

Jesus at best he looks psl remained the same.
Removed all angularity from his lower third smh