The nose and its perception on maxillary projection

Elias

Elias

Looking at a few before and after photos for a rhinoplasty, it seems like fixing a nose will percieve your maxilla as a more horizontally grown structure without any actual changes to the maxilla itself. Here's a profile view with a hooked nose:

1587069577551.png

1587070129973.png

Some more searches online seemed to indicate the biggest perception changes from rhinos to an upturned nose. Though obviously we don't want to overdo that because it would make the nose too feminine. But even a slight hook nose correction is enough to induce the perceived change.

It appears dorsal augmentation has the same effect for those without a prominent nose bridge area.

1587070467644.png

Based on what I can gather, augmented nose bridge (in the absence of an adequate one) and elimination of hook nose alone may be enough to improve perception of maxillary projection combined with a bimax, provided your maxilla isn't badly recessed.

Don't know if these changes have any effect on the frontal view, but it looks like alar base reduction can have a similar effect by increasing the non-nose area of the midface:

1587071476186.png

thoughts?

• +1
Reactions: thecel, PrisonMike, maxlooks and 1 other person
i have a good nose and it halos me ngl

• +1
Reactions: thecel, GoMadAndSTFU, HighIQcel and 1 other person
I feel like my button nose is one of my good features but I wouldn’t mind having a hooked nose if I can have a compact midface.

Doesn't correcting nasal tip projection (profile), and wide nose bridge (front), will make midface look longer, in profile, and from front?