Tongkat Ali and mercury

D

Deleted member 4301

That's life
Is anyone who takes Tongkat Ali worried about the mercury content?

"As such, a total of 100 products in various forms of tongkat Ali hitam were analyzed for the presence of a heavy toxic metal, mercury... Results showed that 26% of these products possessed 0.53-2.35 ppm of mercury, and therefore, do not comply with the quality requirement for traditional medicines in Malaysia."

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Draconian and coolguy1
I have no idea about the quality of my tongkat ali so I just take spirulina, a heavy metal chelator, after tongkat ali.

• +1
Reactions: GlamGuru
Is 2ppm a lot? what is the RDI? You probably take much more by having a can of tuna.

Is 2ppm a lot? what is the RDI? You probably take much more by having a can of tuna.
Greater than 0.5ppm is the cut off for Malaysian drug agency. I can post more of the study.

Greater than 0.5ppm is the cut off for Malaysian drug agency. I can post more of the study.
How much is that in micrograms or whatever is the unit of measurement for food poisons, and how much are you supposed to eat max a day? You probably don't take much tongkat per day so it could be negligible, just like drinking a cup of tea.

"As such, a total of 100 products in various forms of tongkat Ali hitam were analyzed for the presence of a heavy toxic metal, mercury... Results showed that 26% of these products possessed 0.53-2.35 ppm of mercury, and therefore, do not comply with the quality requirement for traditional medicines in Malaysia."
(y)

yeah I bought tongkat ali from some offshore brand and that's the reason I'm disinclined to take it now. Don't wanna get heavy metal poisoning and there has been a report of developing gyno from it on reddit or something.