UPPER maxillary projection is the key to aesthetics

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
What's the upper maxilla?

The upper maxilla is essentially the Le Fort 2 area minus the Le Fort 1 area.

Le Fort II
Le Fort Fracture Patterns
C51 FF1

Figure 1: The 3 Le Fort fractures. The upper maxilla is Le Fort 2 minus Le Fort 1.

The upper maxilla includes the inner infraorbital rims, the nasal ridge, the canine fossa area (Figure 2), and most importantly, the nasal aperture.

Phenotypes of the canine fossa at the left and right sides are different indicating Q320

Figure 2: Canine fossae

This post doesn't go into detail about the canine fossa; just know that it's an important part of the upper maxilla.

What does upper maxillary projection look like?

Upper maxillary projection is characterized by the area from the front of the cheekbone to the back of the nose being a smooth transition when viewed from the side, as seen in Figure 3.

Men beauty 620x350 81479458337
Facial Convexity  Almost Profile Angle

Figure 3: Almost-side-profile view of a White man with upper maxillary projection

The man in Figure 3 has a seamless "blend" between the zygoma and the back of the nose. Contrast that with this other man who has a clearly defined border in the same spot:

Figure 4: Poor upper maxillary projection

The difference is due to the slope of the bone around the nasal aperture. With a forward upper maxilla, the bone on the left and right taper forward and inward toward the nose. With a flat upper maxilla, the bone on both sides of the upper maxilla are parallel.

Forward Maxilla Is a Projected Nasal Area

Figure 5: Caucasoid projected upper maxilla vs. Mongoloid flat upper maxilla

Projected upper maxillas as typically seen in Caucasoids, whereas a flat upper maxilla is a Mongoloid trait.

Another way to look at this is in terms of the position of the nasal aperture, the hole in the skull you breathe through.

Underprojected Nasal Aperture
Skull side view
Overprojected Nasal Aperture

Figure 6: Underprojected, normal, and overprojected nasal apertures

14113534 9C1E 4DDC BC42 2681D02E2CAB
42A35BE3 132C 48D1 9981 B7C9A903FE41

Figure 7: The recessed nasal aperture of a Mongoloid and the projected nasal aperture of a Caucasoid

An aesthetic upper maxilla is for the most part a projected nasal aperture.

Here's an East Asian woman who got a nose job as well as some procedure that moved her nasal aperture forward and made the surrounding tissue more slanted forwards toward the center:

D0F22E6F 93DB 4E6A 843E 2420CBAFD6F5
Slant

Figure 8: Before and after of an East Asian woman who got a more projected nasal aperture, making the surrounding contour slanted forward toward the middle like Caucasians

As you can see, she used to have a clearly defined border between the front of her zygos and the back of her nose, and after surgery it turned into a smooth blended transition, which is ideal.

The difference between a projected upper maxilla and a projected nose

This is a recessed subhuman:

Figure 9: A recessed subhuman

Giving him a forward-protruding Caucasoid nose doesn't result in a good look (Figure 10).

Nose bridge projection is not enough

Figure 10: Shit

His nasal aperture and the bone around it needs to get pulled forward, like this:

Upper Maxillary Projection

Figure 11: Better

I deliberately kept his nose flat in order to show how a projected upper maxilla with a flat nose mogs a recessed upper maxilla with a projecting nose.

The final nail in the coffin for Mew Indicator Line copers

@loox made a very high-IQ post last year about the faults of the Mew Indicator Line:

https://looksmax.org/threads/how-to-measure-a-recessed-maxilla.122146/post-2598129

Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten many views because it's the 60th reply to a thread that claims the Mew Indicator Line is a "great tool." At the time of writing, that thread is in the "Best of the Best" subforum. I think it has merit, but it should be removed from BotB for the Mew Indicator Line's flaws.

What flaws? Well first of all, the Mew Indicator Line (MIL) does a poor job at measuring forward growth. If you think about it, drawing a line from the incisors to the nose tip measures the projection of the lower maxilla relative to the upper maxilla—though inaccurately because nose size affects the measurement.

A short MIL indicates a more projected lower maxilla compared to the upper, and a long MIL indicates the opposite. Because of the relative nature of the MIL, a more recessed upper maxilla actually causes a shorter and more ideal MIL, which doesn't make sense (Figure 12).

Mew Indicator Line is UTTER COPE

Figure 12: The more recessed a person's upper maxilla, the better the Mew Indicator Line.

As previously mentioned, MIL is affected by nose size, and this makes it an utterly dog shit method of measuring the degree of maxillary projection. If it weren't affected by nose size, it'd serve as a useful tool for measuring the upper/lower projection balance: the projection of the lower maxilla relative to the upper. But it's useless for measuring that too since it's affected by nose size. Methods such as the maxillary triangle (Figure 13) are superior.

Figure 13: The Maxillary Triangle: a better method of measuring maxillary projection than the Mew Indicator Line.

What's the key takeaway?

Upper maxillary projection is pretty much nasal aperture projection. And nasal aperture projection is the most important thing for getting that "forward-grown look." Flawed methods like the Mew Indicator Line are bad for measuring upper maxillary projection.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: FromTT, sirmimbing, Fishy and 158 others
well posted

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ugly-to-maxed, LooksThinker, MagaPutinism and 3 others
Dn

rd

Last edited:
  • JFL
  • WTF
  • +1
Reactions: Perfection, Xangsane, rooman and 6 others
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ASM5, reaper2, Shkreliii and 23 others
most people i see have decent forward growth, but ugly features

• +1
Reactions: baerr, bradpittshairline, zura and 10 others

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: FromTT, paradise1488, Shkreliii and 31 others
Op did you copy paste this or did you put in effort?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4019 and thecel
most people i see have decent forward growth, but ugly features

Only in the West. Caucasoids have projected upper maxillas

jump rope GIF

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Beastchodecode, LooksThinker, Lookologist003 and 4 others
Op did you copy paste this or did you put in effort?

Wrote all this shit myself bruh.

I desperately wanna get my threads into BotB. I probably won't make it. Over for forumcels. :feelsrope:

• +1
  • So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: FromTT, Lookologist003, sub5faliure and 13 others
Why you keep posting this fat coon?
why is your mother bouncing her fat jiggly honey buns on my cock? we dont have the answers to these questions

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: FromTT, greywind, basic.yash and 15 others
why is your mother bouncing her fat jiggly honey buns on my cock? we dont have the answers to these questions
Looks like we got a comedian here ladies and gentleman
9A5A0B5C 68E6 4A93 8EE6 F5075168E91C

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: joseroling, basic.yash, aesthetic beauty and 22 others
Big fax, I been saying that the maxilla is everything

• +1
Reactions: LooksThinker, Toby Aesthetics, alriodai and 3 others

I desperately wanna get my threads into BotB. I probably won't make it. Over for forumcels. :feelsrope:
Bro you need to mass tag people if you ever want to get there

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 4019 and thecel
  • JFL
Reactions: ferdaboybenny, NerdcelThundercok, rooman and 5 others

Screenshot 2021 03 10 at 20031 AM

• +1
@LondonVillie @SkinjobCatastrophe @everythingisacope @TraumatisedOgre @my_babel_physics_pro @personalityinkwell @RAITEIII @Ethnicshit @austrianvirgin @itisogre @AlwaysHaveQuestions @BIGDICCJIM

Thoughts?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 4019, Deleted member 7044 and 1 other person
Stfu you weakass faggot, I would give you hardass beating Irl. Just ldar you worthless cat.
Didn't read, your mom is choking on my big floppa cock. Stay a virgin traffic cone head.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: basic.yash, MTNAscension2, rooman and 8 others
could be fixed with paranasal implant

• +1
Reactions: sub5faliure, CommonFag, Deleted member 4019 and 1 other person
Didn't read, your mom is choking on my big floppa cock. Stay a virgin traffic cone head.
Don't you dare talk about my mother I would fucking kill you Irl if you said that to me. Focus the insults at me you abused rat. But you wouldn't know that because your whore mother was too busy getting fucked by the local Niggers. Know your place you piece of literal garbage.

• JFL
Reactions: basic.yash, zeshama, rooman and 6 others
Don't you dare talk about my mother I would fucking kill you Irl if you said that to me. Focus the insults at me you abused rat. But you wouldn't know that because your whore mother was too busy getting fucked by the local Niggers. Know your place you piece of literal garbage.
Still didn't read i just slapped your mothers fat ass so hard holy shit i think my hand mark is going to stay on her ass for days! :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek:

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: basic.yash, ferdaboybenny, MTNAscension2 and 9 others
Still didn't read i just slapped your mothers fat ass so hard holy shit i think my hand mark is going to stay on her ass for days! :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek:
thats it your going on my ignore list you retard. Btw remember that your a weak little shit that can't lift for shit. Stupid coon.

• JFL
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 4019 and thecel

If you did a surgery or rating guide it would 100 percent get into botb. I would make them if I could but not knowledgeable enough.

• Woah
thats it your going on my ignore list you retard. Btw remember that your a weak little shit that can't lift for shit. Stupid coon.
HOLY FUCK BRO YOUR MOM JUST DEEPTHROATED MY ENTIRE FAT COCK!!!

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: basic.yash, ferdaboybenny, monkeyBBC and 8 others
Know your place you fatass cat. You also can't bench for shit
Nigga thinks cuz he lifted a 2lb dumbbell that he somehow knows all the answers to life. He’s a faggot.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: rooman, Oxygen, Anchor_Ship and 6 others
What's the upper maxilla?

The upper maxilla is essentially the Le Fort 2 area minus the Le Fort 1 area.

View attachment 1033427View attachment 1033418View attachment 1033419

Figure 1: The 3 Le Fort fractures. The upper maxilla is Le Fort 2 minus Le Fort 1.

The upper maxilla includes the inner infraorbital rims, the nasal ridge, the canine fossa area (Figure 2), and most importantly, the nasal aperture.

View attachment 1033442

Figure 2: Canine fossae

This post doesn't go into detail about the canine fossa; just know that it's an important part of the upper maxilla.

What does upper maxillary projection look like?

Upper maxillary projection is characterized by the area from the front of the cheekbone to the back of the nose being a smooth transition when viewed from the side, as seen in Figure 3.

View attachment 1033406View attachment 1033407

Figure 3: Almost-side-profile view of a White man with upper maxillary projection

The man in Figure 3 has a seamless "blend" between the zygoma and the back of the nose. Contrast that with this other man who has a clearly defined border in the same spot:

View attachment 1033448

Figure 4: Poor upper maxillary projection

The difference is due to the slope of the bone around the nasal aperture. With a forward upper maxilla, the bone on the left and right taper forward and inward toward the nose. With a flat upper maxilla, the bone on both sides of the upper maxilla are parallel.

View attachment 1033403

Figure 5: Caucasoid projected upper maxilla vs. Mongoloid flat upper maxilla

Projected upper maxillas as typically seen in Caucasoids, whereas a flat upper maxilla is a Mongoloid trait.

Another way to look at this is in terms of the position of the nasal aperture, the hole in the skull you breathe through.

View attachment 1033410View attachment 1033408View attachment 1033409

Figure 6: Underprojected, normal, and overprojected nasal apertures

View attachment 1033417View attachment 1033421

Figure 7: The recessed nasal aperture of a Mongoloid and the projected nasal aperture of a Caucasoid

An aesthetic upper maxilla is for the most part a projected nasal aperture.

Here's an East Asian woman who got a nose job as well as some procedure that moved her nasal aperture forward and made the surrounding tissue more slanted forwards toward the center:

View attachment 1033404View attachment 1033405

Figure 8: Before and after of an East Asian woman who got a more projected nasal aperture, making the surrounding contour slanted forward toward the middle like Caucasians

As you can see, she used to have a clearly defined border between the front of her zygos and the back of her nose, and after surgery it turned into a smooth blended transition, which is ideal.

The difference between a projected upper maxilla and a projected nose

This is a recessed subhuman:

View attachment 1033412

Figure 9: A recessed subhuman

Giving him a forward-protruding Caucasoid nose doesn't result in a good look (Figure 10).

View attachment 1033413

Figure 10: Shit

His nasal aperture and the bone around it needs to get pulled forward, like this:

View attachment 1033479

Figure 11: Better

I deliberately kept his nose flat in order to show how a projected upper maxilla with a flat nose mogs a recessed upper maxilla with a projecting nose.

The final nail in the coffin for Mew Indicator Line copers

@loox made a very high-IQ post last year about the faults of the Mew Indicator Line:

https://looksmax.org/threads/how-to-measure-a-recessed-maxilla.122146/post-2598129

Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten many views because it's the 60th reply to a thread that claims the Mew Indicator Line is a "great tool." At the time of writing, that thread is in the "Best of the Best" subforum. I think it has merit, but it should be removed from BotB for the Mew Indicator Line's flaws.

What flaws? Well first of all, the Mew Indicator Line (MIL) does a poor job at measuring forward growth. If you think about it, drawing a line from the incisors to the nose tip measures the projection of the lower maxilla relative to the upper maxilla—though inaccurately because nose size affects the measurement.

A short MIL indicates a more projected lower maxilla compared to the upper, and a long MIL indicates the opposite. Because of the relative nature of the MIL, a more recessed upper maxilla actually causes a shorter and more ideal MIL, which doesn't make sense (Figure 12).

View attachment 1033415

Figure 12: The more recessed a person's upper maxilla, the better the Mew Indicator Line.

As previously mentioned, MIL is affected by nose size, and this makes it an utterly dog shit method of measuring the degree of maxillary projection. If it weren't affected by nose size, it'd serve as a useful tool for measuring the upper/lower projection balance: the projection of the lower maxilla relative to the upper. But it's useless for measuring that too since it's affected by nose size. Methods such as the maxillary triangle (Figure 13) are superior.

View attachment 1033502

Figure 13: The Maxillary Triangle: a better method of measuring maxillary projection than the Mew Indicator Line.

What's the key takeaway?

Upper maxillary projection is pretty much nasal aperture projection. And nasal aperture projection is the most important thing for getting that "forward-grown look." Flawed methods like the Mew Indicator Line are bad for measuring upper maxillary projection.
legit thread

TLDR another proof of its over for asiancels due to heavy european based beauty standards

• +1
  • So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Perfection, rooman, AscendingHero and 2 others
Images   2021 03 10T141123271

Not always...if the lower maxilla and mandible doesn't catch up then it creates a convex profile which isn't good either

• +1
Reactions: greywind, LooksThinker, rooman and 9 others
can a lacking upper maxilla be fixed with infraorbital rim implants?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: LooksThinker, rooman, Edgar and 6 others
Very legit thread. Are you a stemcel cuz you keep numbering your figures jfl.
Also can you give me a short rundown on how exactly drawing the maxillary triangle? I've noticed that the picture you used of that femoid isn't the true 90 degrees side profile? Also how to draw the lower line of the triangle, from tragus to nasal base or what?

• +1
Reactions: Mewton, Deleted member 4019 and thecel
Very legit thread. Are you a stemcel cuz you keep numbering your figures jfl.
Also can you give me a short rundown on how exactly drawing the maxillary triangle? I've noticed that the picture you used of that femoid isn't the true 90 degrees side profile? Also how to draw the lower line of the triangle, from tragus to nasal base or what?

I numbered my figures to make this thread have a scientific vibe, and I hoped that'd help it be more likely to get into BotB.

The maxillary triangle is either drawn from the tragus to the nasal base and from the bottom of the ear (not including the hanging part of the earlobe) to the nasal base.

These methods measure forward AND downward projection because the base of the triangle isn't parallel to the Frankfurt plane:

Forward vs recessed

If you want to measure only forward projection, align the head to the Frankfurt plane and draw the triangle's base directly backward from the ala.

• +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2, shahid khan, LooksThinker and 10 others
This is all cope

• Hmm...
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: LooksThinker, jellyfish101 and thecel
That's why i'm gonna do a lefort 1

• Hmm...
Reactions: thecel
Good thread.

• +1
Reactions: LooksThinker and thecel
this is why you must mew

• JFL
Reactions: LooksThinker and thecel
Fucking YES!

Upper maxillary projection

Frontal Process of the Maxilla
File:Frontal process of maxilla - animation02.gif

Nasal Bones
File:Rotation nasal bone.gif

Anterior Nasal Spine (underrated cephalometric landmark)
File:Anterior nasal spine of maxilla - animation02.gif

• +1
Reactions: greywind, MTNAscension2, can’t relate and 11 others
Frontal Process of the Maxilla
File:Frontal process of maxilla - animation02.gif

Nasal Bones
File:Rotation nasal bone.gif

Anterior Nasal Spine (underrated cephalometric landmark)
File:Anterior nasal spine of maxilla - animation02.gif

Yeah the anterior nasal spine is super important

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, reptiles and Kingkellz
i remember when i was a retarded bluecel and you were greycel. you asked for advice and i told you you should get a bigger nose to fraud maxilla. it does make some sense now jfl

• JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: rooman, Effortless, Melo95 and 2 others
Decent post till your mew indicator line comments. Your example with the mew indicator line uses soft tissue landmarks which are unreliable, when the mew indicator line measures from upper incisor to farthest most point from the tragus to the nose tip.

Upper maxillary projection is best measured by the cheek line, which should be parallel to the nasal bridge. I have fixed your analysis of the mew indicator line by estimating the upper incisor position and shown the cheek line in the pic below:

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Effortless, AscendingHero, Deleted member 5385 and 1 other person
Decent post till your mew indicator line comments. Your example with the mew indicator line uses soft tissue landmarks which are unreliable, when the mew indicator line measures from upper incisor to farthest most point from the tragus to the nose tip.

Upper maxillary projection is best measured by the cheek line, which should be parallel to the nasal bridge. I have fixed your analysis of the mew indicator line by estimating the upper incisor position and shown the cheek line in the pic below:

View attachment 1034799
View attachment 1034801

The cheek line measures mostly lower maxilla projection and a little bit of upper.

The cheek line measures mostly lower maxilla projection and a little bit of upper.
Measures primarily the area of the maxillary sinus and infraorbital. Also keep in mind most people measure the indicator line wrong and measure it too low because they are not using the proper measurement technique

• +1
What's the key takeaway?

Good thread, but mostly "water" I mean its is logical. Also dont focus too much on the mew-indicator, it is not a precise thing. However, what Mews doctors keep empathizing is the importance of mewing with the back of tongue in particular. Because that is exactly what brings upper maxilla forwards and upwards.

Also nasal aperture projection is not the most important thing for getting that forward grown look. Both lower third and upper third of the face are equally as important.

If the nasal aperture is very projected but mandible and forehead arent, the face ends up looking very triangular in side profile view, looks like a woodpecker side profile and very unaesthetic.

However good examples and good effort thread, thumbed up. Do like the quality and iq put into it, in what otherwise is spamfest in this forum in general.

• +1
View attachment 1033617

Not always...if the lower maxilla and mandible doesn't catch up then it creates a convex profile which isn't good either
yeah good example for my post above. If forehead and jaw are too "behind" the upper maxilla, it looks very triangular and not aesthetic. sort of like a bird side profile. Woody woodpecker-like.

Ppl need to stop looking for mistakes and flaws in everything doctor Mews claim. First of all, they also do trial and error themselves to find the right measurements etc. and second- they dont claim that their methods are 100% correct and the best.

However theyre absolutely right about body and neck posture, tongue position (esp. the 1/3rd of the tongue on the back/root) and swallowing pattern. Also about diet, mouth breathing and many other things.

Ppl should try to improve their methods and ways to measure things and not just simply bash the Mews. Its more helpful for everyone.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, SPFromNY914, Deleted member 5052 and 1 other person