Voice change after lefort 1

Mouthbreath

Mouthbreath

Looksmaxer
Can someone high iq decipher the conclusion of this study? (should be in the abstract)

Abstract
"Considering that orthognathic surgery promotes changes in orofacial structures constituting the resonating system, functional changes secondary to surgery are expected to affect speech, leading to the need for further speech and voice adjustments. Thus, understanding the possible relationships of these structures with voice production is important. Therefore, this study aimed to describe the changes in voice fundamental frequency of a patient submitted to orthognathic surgery and observe if there is a relationship with hyoid bone positioning at the different treatment periods. The results revealed that voice fundamental frequency increased after surgery, returning to values close to the preoperative condition, which corresponded to vertical movement of the hyoid bone."

From my understanding, fundamental frequency increased after surgery (so you get a higher voice immediately after surgery?), and then it went back close to preoperative condition (so overall not a significant change in voice).

• +1
Reactions: Ampere
Had trouble understanding the abstract too, just opened the full paper and found a graph (over for my attention span), but here you go :

So yeah, during at least 6 month post-op your voice is going to be higher then back to baseline. Sad it doesn't deepen the voice would've been goat tbh, but at least the augmentation is temporary

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath
Had trouble understanding the abstract too, just opened the full paper and found a graph (over for my attention span), but here you go :
View attachment 726115

So yeah, during at least 6 month post-op your voice is going to be higher then back to baseline. Sad it doesn't deepen the voice would've been goat tbh, but at least the augmentation is temporary
thanks bro, yes I would have thought from basically enlarging the mouth (cavity for the sound to resonate in), the voice would get a bit deeper (the reasoning being elongate the cavity => slightly longer wavelength of the standing soundwave =>slightly lower frequency)

Likely due to genioglossus and hyoid muscles pulling the hyoid upwards