What is Eppley talking about here? (hyoid repositioning)

ifyouwannabemylover

ifyouwannabemylover

Closer than ever
I've been doing research about tightening submental muscles in a necklift type procedure because that's one of the last things that I still need (just a few mm overall tightening/elevation should do the trick for me) and came across this article by eppley. there's one thing that caught my attention:

Through a low submental incision (3 cms from the natural submental skin crease), all subplatysmal neck structures could be well visualized particularly the submandibular glands. The sequence included the initial removal of interplatysmal fat and elevation of the medial borders of the platysma muscle. The submandibular glands were located by following the anterior border of the digastric muscle to the hyoid bone. The gland capsule was opened and the medial half of the gland removed. Botox injections (10 units) were placed into the remaining gland and the gland capsule closed with continuous sutures. If indicated a subtotal resection of the anterior belly of the digastric muscle is also done. Hyoid repositioning can be performed by suture plication of the peri-hyoid fascia at the level of the pulleys of the digastric muscles. Lastly, a corset platysmaplasty is done.

tl;dr neck lift = make incision, do liposuction, reduce submental glands, botox and then he talks about the hyoid thing

can anyone figure out what exactly this means?

@RealSurgerymax

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member and Deleted member 7725
I need this... had a consultation for submental lipo and surgeon said it wouldn't help me as it's all skin/weak underlying neck structures...

• +1
Reactions: ifyouwannabemylover
there's a surgery slightly called a hyoid suspension necklift that sounds slightly similar?

see: https://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Abstract/2016/12000/Hyoid_Suspension_Neck_Lift.8.aspx
I found that too earlier today. also found this article where some dermatologist dude talks about "deep necklifts" he does as opposed to the traditional ones.

The Deep Neck Lift

St. Louis, Mo., facial plastic surgeon Mike Nayak, M.D., goes to greater lengths to restore a youthful look to the neck. He says his approach, the deep neck lift, bucks conventional surgical neck lifting thinking.

Traditionally, aesthetic surgeons approach neck lifts by suctioning subcutaneous fat, tightening the platysma area, then pulling skin from the sides to create a “tighter hammock,” he says.

“The reality is that the neck is built in layers and by treating just the first few layers of skin and subcutaneous fat, there is a finite amount of change you can make,” Dr. Nayak says. “You also can get a really off-looking result by overtreating those first couple of layers and then leaving the deeper layers alone. You can get a very disjointed look that’s not pretty, but it is tight-looking.”

Dr. Nayak says in recent years he has been safely modifying all the layers of the neck. He rebuilds the neck’s deeper layers to the shape and form of not just the younger neck but a genetically gifted younger neck, he says.

“Some people even when they’re 20 don’t have a great shape to their neck because they were born with the genetics for a more oblique or obtuse neck,” Dr. Nayak says. “I actually also use these techniques in younger people in their 20s and 30s.”

so this guy actually also targets muscles above the platysma. I have no idea how commonly done this is though. it's probably one of those things that you can hardly find and when you bring it up to run of the mill surgeons they will look at you funny.

I need this... had a consultation for submental lipo and surgeon said it wouldn't help me as it's all skin/weak underlying neck structures...
I had submental lipo and it gave me 70-80% of the results I want. I have another consultation scheduled with the same surgeon soon since he already mentioned additionally removing the subplatysmal fat, but I don't know if he also does platysma tightening because that's most likely what would do the trick for me to where my submental would really look good no matter how I tilt my head, etc. I'll see.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6764
The Deep Neck Lift

St. Louis, Mo., facial plastic surgeon Mike Nayak, M.D., goes to greater lengths to restore a youthful look to the neck. He says his approach, the deep neck lift, bucks conventional surgical neck lifting thinking.
this looks quite interesting, and he's right about the need to get at the underlying weakness of the submental area. i'm gonna check him out actually. Thanks!

• +1
Reactions: ifyouwannabemylover
this looks quite interesting, and he's right about the need to get at the underlying weakness of the submental area. i'm gonna check him out actually. Thanks!
that guy is in the US though so I'm not gonna be able to consult with him. it really sucks how there are so many things that only a handful of surgeons seem to offer while everyone else still does the same shit from 30 years ago.

I'll @ you if I end up going through with platysmaplasty with my original surgeon. here's one of my old threads on it if you're interested:

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7725, Deleted member 4614 and Deleted member 6764
hat guy is in the US though so I'm not gonna be able to consult with him.
have you already checked if he does online consults? i'm not stateside either but asked about online.

have you already checked if he does online consults? i'm not stateside either but asked about online.
I haven't, but I imagine he probably does. don't really see much of a point in it tho since I'm not gonna be able to actually go to him.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6764
Submentoplasty is different than platsyma?
I think submentoplasty is an umbrella term for various different procedures you can do to improve your submental. platysmaplasty is part of submentoplasty.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4614
It is important to realize that a submentoplasty is an upgraded version of neck liposuction that includes additional fat removal as well as platysma muscle work.

I plan on getting this done once I am off accutane for a couple months. I’ll share some photos privately.
awesome brah, will do the same

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4614
This is what i mean @blackckatt

@ifyouwannabemylover Did you ever get this done? eppley recommended the same thing to me when i emailed (submental platysmal muscle plication)

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 18582