What is MSE?

• +1
Reactions: SurgerySoon
MSE: Maxillary Skeletal Expansion/Expander

Its a treatment where you have a palate expander drilled into the roof of your mouth with four screws. Two of these screws are on either side of the maxillary suture. As you turn the expansion screw with a key it extends outward in both directions. What makes it different from other palate expanders is that it is guaranteed to produce skeletal change, widening the actual maxilla rather than displacing teeth. It does this by splitting the maxillary suture in a few turns, from there you just keep expanding until you're satisfied or reach the limit of the appliance.

Risks: having big ugly spaces between your teeth as a result, this can always be fixed later orthodontically without reversing the maxillary expansion

The others aren't cosmetic risks so I won't bother mentioning them

You can check out ronaldead.com, which is this guy's blog where he describes his experience with the treatment. He isn't concerned with cosmetics seemingly, so he over-expands in my opinion.

The whole point of the appliance is to expand the face, this leads to a wider smile and broader zygos. As with all palate expansion it can help resolve malocclusion, especially if you are still in early development. A reverse-pull headgear can also be used to pull the maxilla upwards and forwards as the device is anchored onto the maxilla itself and comes with hooks.

Would I do MSE or recommend anybody else do it? No. You can typically split a suture without putting screws in your bones, you just have to be fast enough with expansion.
You’re still alive?

So I'm guessing braces would be needed after using the MSE?
Yes. You would get a gap between the central incisors if/when the MSE succeeds in splitting the suture of the maxilla. This would later be corrected with braces.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262
So with an already above average IPD one should not get a MSE?

Yes. You would get a gap between the central incisors if/when the MSE succeeds in splitting the suture of the maxilla. This would later be corrected with braces.

So is the MSE used as an alternative to LF1 or as an adjunct procedure? I guess I don't really get what it's supposed to achieve -- a more forward-projection maxilla, or just a wider palate?

So how much can an MSE expand? My homeoblock Palate expander has a maximum expansion of 0.100", so I had to use 3 (considering getting a forth) for the top and 4 for mandible. Is it the same way with MSE, that you would have to have multiple devices installed sequentially?

• JFL
Reactions: forwardgrowth
So is the MSE used as an alternative to LF1 or as an adjunct procedure? I guess I don't really get what it's supposed to achieve -- a more forward-projection maxilla, or just a wider palate?
MSE is a standalone procedure to expand the maxilla laterally. A LF1 moves only the lower part of the maxilla (as there is a cut made below the nose), usually only in an anterior direction although you can also have a 3 piece LF1 moving it laterally too. An MSE would not only move the lower part of the maxilla as there is no cut to isolate it from the rest of the maxilla as with LF1, but you could also get wider cheekbones etc. If you want forward movement of the maxilla then a facepull device is added and anchored to the MSE. In theory this would give more of a LF3 like movement as the whole maxilla is affected and not just the LF1 area.

The big question is how succesful these are in adults. The MSE may fail to split the suture if it's too rigid, which may or may not be the case with older people so it's a bit of a gamble. The facepull has been well documented to have an effect on kids during development. Whether it is also successful in adults is unclear to me.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262
MSE is a standalone procedure to expand the maxilla laterally. A LF1 moves only the lower part of the maxilla (as there is a cut made below the nose), usually only in an anterior direction although you can also have a 3 piece LF1 moving it laterally too. An MSE would not only move the lower part of the maxilla as there is no cut to isolate it from the rest of the maxilla as with LF1, but you could also get wider cheekbones etc. If you want forward movement of the maxilla then a facepull device is added and anchored to the MSE. In theory this would give more of a LF3 like movement as the whole maxilla is affected and not just the LF1 area.

The big question is how succesful these are in adults. The MSE may fail to split the suture if it's too rigid, which may or may not be the case with older people so it's a bit of a gamble. The facepull has been well documented to have an effect on kids during development. Whether it is also successful in adults is unclear to me.

As someone who had braces from 16-19 y/o to correct an overbite (and which probably resulted in my maxilla being retracted since my orthodontist used damned elastics), the concept of using a specialized retainer and facepulling device to reverse the maxillary-retracting effects of braces is really intriguing to me, especially since I already wear a standard retainer every night that my orthodontist made for me back when I had my braces removed.

I may consider making an appointment with a local orthodontist to ask about getting an MSE + facepuller, although I doubt any of the local doctors have even heard of either device.