What is the deal with growth plates?

metagross

metagross

Sphinx
Okay, so what is the deal with growth plates. People always say: "You can't grow anymore when your growth plates are closed" and I'm like: "Yeah, okay, then ... open them?"

Really, can't a doctor open them up again?

• Hmm...
Reactions: Bitchwhipper2
Okay, so what is the deal with growth plates. People always say: "You can't grow anymore when your growth plates are closed" and I'm like: "Yeah, okay, then ... open them?"

For growth plates to open, technically you would need to turn bone in to cartilage. Which is whats hard

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13588 and metagross
Cartilage grows, and hormones make it calcify - it's a fine balance. Once all of the cartilage ossifies then you can't grow anymore. :)

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: metagross and Mewton
The majority of part of a bone doesnt grow
Its only a small cartilage region known as epiphyseal plates or simply "growth plates"
All longitudinal bone growth happens in this region and it keeps ossifying over time (turning into compact bone) ultimately disappearing completely

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16571
K

All growth plates don't fuse at the same time,heck even the thigh and shin has 2 growgh plates each which fuse at different times,so,first get it x rayed