What philosophers should I read

D

Deleted member 14693

Kraken
I hear a lot about Nietzsche here, is he worth reading?

Who else should you read, where to start etc.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 30667, Deleted member 16275, Kingcel32 and 2 others
You should read the book “Godel, Escher, Bach”

It’s complicated to explain but it is very rewarding in a strange way. Took me 3 years to finish it tho

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Kingcel32, comfortably dumb and Deleted member 14693
Every chad starts from the greeks (y)

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, cardiologist, Kingcel32 and 1 other person
I hear a lot about Nietzsche here, is he worth reading?

Who else should you read, where to start etc.
nietzsche today is not worth it today

read stoics for useful adivce
seneca, epicetus and mark aurel

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6128, comfortably dumb, Kingcel32 and 2 others
Hegel lol

nah just kidding

Pascal,Hume,Kant and Spinoza are all good imo

Study those then maybe you'll be ready for Hegel

• +1
Reactions: Kingcel32 and Deleted member 14693
if you're past your teenage years, you're too old for Nietzsche

• +1
Reactions: comfortably dumb, Deleted member 19548, Yliaster and 1 other person
all boring stuff bro. don't expect to get enlightned because you read some ancient fuck's opinion.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ALP and Deleted member 14693
most of their stuff is literally just water for ppl like me. i don't get how and in what way philosophers changed the world. scientists did

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: rl⠀, wollet2, Kingcel32 and 1 other person
since you are on the PSL forum, the only thing you should read is ayn rand

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16275, BigBoy, Deleted member 13787 and 3 others
Read The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker... It will blowup your mind

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Elvisandreaa, Kingcel32 and Deleted member 14693
i would recommend getting a book like the history of western philosophy by bertrand russell, or some from the very short introductions series, all the philosophers build on the work of earlier philosophers so it helps to understand it as a tradition

• +1
Reactions: Kingcel32
Just start out with a book that summarizes the thought of old and contemporary philosophy.
See what sits with you and then dive deeper into what you like and very important what you don’t like imo

• +1
Reactions: Yliaster, Deleted member 19548 and Kingcel32
If you liked Ernest Becker you will surely like the underrated Otto Rank.

Just start out with a book that summarizes the thought of old and contemporary philosophy.
See what sits with you and then dive deeper into what you like and very important what you don’t like imo

so basically just read the secret teachings of all ages by manly p hall then lol

aristotle, plato, locke, kant, epicurus, hume, bentham, hobbes, kierkegaard, wittgenstein (you won't understand shit), popper, quine, searle, b. russell, spinoza, carnap, frege, kripke, mill, democritus, t. aquinas, anselm of canterbury, hegel, schelling, fichte, heidegger, de saussure, habermas, althusser, h. l. a. hart, horkheimer, rousseau, montesquieu, husserl, feyerabend, kuhn, durkheim a. smith, mill, feuerbach, weber, baudrillard, pufendorf, radbruch, adorno and tarski would be a decent start

• +1
Reactions: Bojack and Deleted member 13787
so basically just read the secret teachings of all ages by manly p hall then lol
Yeah a true man of wisdom.
Maybe Osho too.

• +1
Reactions: Yliaster
i would recommend getting a book like the history of western philosophy by bertrand russell, or some from the very short introductions series, all the philosophers build on the work of earlier philosophers so it helps to understand it as a tradition
for example, you would understand rousseau better if you can contrast his social contract with hobbes' absolutism, understand the significance of kant better if u know about the empiricists v rationalists, and understand marx better if u have prior knowledge about hegel who influenced him

• +1
Reactions: comfortably dumb

History_of_Western_Philosophy.jpeg

ideal for this purpose

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and Deleted member 19548
avoid nietzche, schopenhauer and freud. basically worthless hacks

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
antoin artaud

aristotle, plato, locke, kant, epicurus, hume, bentham, hobbes, kierkegaard, wittgenstein (you won't understand shit), popper, quine, searle, b. russell, spinoza, carnap, frege, kripke, mill, democritus, t. aquinas, anselm of canterbury, hegel, schelling, fichte, heidegger, de saussure, habermas, althusser, h. l. a. hart, horkheimer, rousseau, montesquieu, husserl, feyerabend, kuhn, durkheim a. smith, mill, feuerbach, weber, baudrillard, pufendorf, radbruch, adorno and tarski would be a decent start
so iam trying to read the philosophical investiagtions now for some time and but it needs alot attention that i cant reall afford right now because of university

• +1
@IncelsBraincels krezo would have loved this thread 🥲

proud-touched.gif

so iam trying to read the philosophical investiagtions now for some time and but it needs alot attention that i cant reall afford right now because of university

philosophical investigations are more important than his tractatus.

the guy is one of the most important intellectuals of the 20th century, along with einstein, bohr, turing and von neumann

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
Russell is quite interesting for sure. Especially his teachings in mathematics
u can hear that nigga speak on youtube he met gladstone and lenin 🤯

• +1
Reactions: Tom Jones
u can hear that nigga speak on youtube he met gladstone and lenin 🤯
He survived a plane crash because he was in the smoking section. Smoking saved his life as he said.

His granddad being homies with Napoleon. I think he had quite a perspective on the natural order

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 19548
philosophical investigations are more important than his tractatus.

the guy is one of the most important intellectuals of the 20th century, along with einstein, bohr, turing and von neumann
Yeah i know that why i didnt bought the tractatus.
Because he distanced himself from it latter.

• +1
The books are genrally boring start might make you leave philsofy so start easy . So dont start reading books

Yeah i know that why i didnt bought the tractatus.
Because he distanced himself from it latter.
Tractatus is garbage, his picture theory which his whole philosphy is built on is the idea that propositions can only refer to the world iconically by "picturing" it, which is retarded because he never considered the possibility of indexical or symbolic means of referring to the world. A basic study of semiotics and Wittgenstein would have realized it was inadmissible as a theory.

Not to mention his terminology is undefined (wtf is an "object" in his sense?), there are no arguments in the book (you are just supposed to get why it's true due to his numbering means of organizing his ideas), and he openly states the book is self-refuting in the second last proposition (the book derives that it itself can't be said). Not to mention even being given his whole philosophy, with respect to ethics and aesthetics he merely refutes their a priori forms, and not their contingent forms, which pop up everywhere and even figure into natural science (see the practical sciences and modern scientific studies of beauty).

• Love it
Reactions: OGJBSLAYER
Any of the white ones

Tractatus is garbage, his picture theory which his whole philosphy is built on is the idea that propositions can only refer to the world iconically by "picturing" it, which is retarded because he never considered the possibility of indexical or symbolic means of referring to the world. A basic study of semiotics and Wittgenstein would have realized it was inadmissible as a theory.

Not to mention his terminology is undefined (wtf is an "object" in his sense?), there are no arguments in the book (you are just supposed to get why it's true due to his numbering means of organizing his ideas), and he openly states the book is self-refuting in the second last proposition (the book derives that it itself can't be said). Not to mention even being given his whole philosophy, with respect to ethics and aesthetics he merely refutes their a priori forms, and not their contingent forms, which pop up everywhere and even figure into natural science (see the practical sciences and modern scientific studies of beauty).
Great post

Worth a follow

nietzsche today is not worth it today

read stoics for useful adivce
seneca, epicetus and mark aurel
Nietzsche should be read... avoid stoics, unless you wanna adopt their metaphysical system wholesale

A lot of people think stoicism is just, "Muh be indifferent to emotions, it is what it is"... lol

if you're past your teenage years, you're too old for Nietzsche
Another dumb comment

Don't worry... the Croatian faggot who recommended Wittgenstein's philosophical investigations to you hasn't read it himself

You should read PMS Hackers commentary on it tbh

plotinus.

• +1
Reactions: ropemax

10 Best Greek Philosophy Books Everyone Should Study in Their Lifetime​

1. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
  2. Letters from a Stoic by Seneca
  3. The Republic by Plato
  4. Five Dialogues by Plato
  5. The Symposium by Plato
  6. The Emperor's Handbook by Marcus Aurelius
  7. Poetics and Rhetoric by Aristotle
  8. The Last Days of Socrates by Plato
  9. The Art of Happiness by Epicurus
  10. The Basic Works of Aritstotle by Aristotle

All of those, honestly. But, place "Meditations" and "Letters from a Stoic" at the bottom. And throw in Homer's works, don't start with it though.

144 wais iv
all the more reason to make a philosophy thread instead of whatever you do nowadays, complaining over the state of the forum etc.

all the more reason to make a philosophy thread instead of whatever you do nowadays, complaining over the state of the forum etc.

what fucking philosophy thread on this site?

just check the thread of that paki @OGgoatslayer about his interpretation of my posts about the nature of the difference between medieval superstition and contemporary scientism. feels like trying to explain algebra to a rock; legit felt bad for his parents while reading his attempt at summarizing my takes on the topic.

and phi students wonder why are most actual intellectuals cringing at them, lmfao.

Last edited:
what fucking philosophy thread on this site? just check the thread of that paki @OGgoatslayer about his interpretation of my posts about the nature of the difference between medieval superstition and contemporary scientism. feels like trying to explain algebra to a rock.
i mean, like, insights you gained since starting to read philosophy ig maybe? idktbhngl

• +1
Reactions: rl⠀