Whats your solution to the Fermi paradox?

Akhi

Akhi

cavill enthusiast
One of my favorite topics:

If there are so many earth-like planets out there, why haven‘t we detected any sings of life-forms on other planets? Our galaxy alone contains multiple billions of rocky earth-like planets, and there are billions to trillions of other, even bigger galaxies out there.

Even if lightspeed is very slow in comparison to the vast distances of the universe, we should‘ve detected something as of now, even if life and intelligence develops very rarely.

You have to realize that even with our current technology, due to exponential expansion, it would take merely a few millions years to colonize the galaxy, which is a tiny timeframe in comparison to the age of the universe.

Even if there was only a tiny, tiny chance of life developing towards a technological civilization, we should have evidence of them everywhere. The galaxy would be full of life, because only a single species would need to make it.

But theres nothing.

So, whats your solution? Here is mine:

In order to advance to a technological civilization, life has to pass so many ‚filters‘ that it becomes rare to the point even life on Earth is insanely unlikely. We are the first and probably only, and last planet that will develop life.

From Abiogenesis, to multicellular life, to the evolution of the brain, all those chances multiplied together are such a tiny fraction that it obliterates the amount of ‚chances‘ the universe ‚gets.‘

This is not even talking about the fact that our laws of physics, if adjusted even by a tiny bit, would make the universe inhospitable. I‘m talking about the 100 decimal of physical constants.

So, the fact that I‘m even able to ponder this question is more than a miracle, which brings us to all sorts of interesting philosophical questions.

Do you seek the answer in divine revelation?

I‘m a big fan of the anthropic principle. It boils down to the following: If the universe wasn‘t like it is, I wouldn‘t even be able to ask myself this question.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: sayi, Averagecel, Joe Rogancel and 12 others
@Jason Voorhees @Orc @Darkeningstar @HarrierDuBois @Magnum Opus @DelonLover1999

• +1
Reactions: greycel
brutal absolute 0 i knew this thread wasnt gonna make it

shouldve posted some bait

• +1
Reactions: sb23, mrriceguyreturn and cannotbeasked

If there are so many earth-like planets out there, why haven‘t we detected any sings of life-forms on other planets? Our galaxy alone contains multiple billions of rocky earth-like planets, and there are billions to trillions of other, even bigger galaxies out there.

Even if lightspeed is very slow in comparison to the vast distances of the universe, we should‘ve detected something as of now, even if life and intelligence develops very rarely.

You have to realize that even with our current technology, due to exponential expansion, it would take merely a few millions years to colonize the galaxy, which is a tiny timeframe in comparison to the age of the universe.

Even if there was only a tiny, tiny chance of life developing towards a technological civilization, we should have evidence of them everywhere. The galaxy would be full of life, because only a single species would need to make it.

But theres nothing.

In order to advance to a technological civilization, life has to pass so many ‚filters‘ that it becomes rare to the point even life on Earth is insanely unlikely. We are the first and probably only, and last planet that will develop life.

From Abiogenesis, to multicellular life, to the evolution of the brain, all those chances multiplied together are such a tiny fraction that it obliterates the amount of ‚chances‘ the universe ‚gets.‘

This is not even talking about the fact that our laws of physics, if adjusted even by a tiny bit, would make the universe inhospitable. I‘m talking about the 100 decimal of physical constants.

So, the fact that I‘m even able to ponder this question is more than a miracle, which brings us to all sorts of interesting philosophical questions.

I‘m a big fan of the anthropic principle. It boils down to the following: If the universe wasn‘t like it was, I wouldn‘t even be able to ask myself this question.

Thoughts?
Here’s mine, God created only us there’s jackshit out there and if aliens come to us they’re demons in disguise and need to killed.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: iabsolvejordan, Averagecel, sb23 and 2 others
Here’s mine, God created only us there’s jackshit out there and if aliens come to us they’re demons in disguise and need to killed.
so divine revelation it is

im gonna ask you this: if god created everything, whats the purpose of such a huge universe when we‘re the only ones in it, and realistically will never expand past a tiny fraction of it?

• Hmm...
Reactions: Henry Rollins
You should ask him that when you die and enter heaven, I just see it as a demonstration of his omnipotence.

• +1
Reactions: Akhi
im gonna ask you this: if god created everything, whats the purpose of such a huge universe when we‘re the only ones in it, and realistically will never expand past a tiny fraction of it?
A strong statement directed towards humanity showing how far His power reaches, especially in monotheist religions which believe in One All-Mighty God, and that even if we understood at our maximum capacity, we wouldn't reach 0.00001% of the knowledge there is.

Allah says (Interpretation of the meaning): "and you ˹O humanity˺ have been given but little knowledge.”

I do believe there is more meaning to the universe, that different dimensions have different roles and usefulness within it, and that even in ours we will keep discovering meaningful stuff that at the same time will keep unveiling The Power of The Most High.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: mob477, thebuffdon690 and Akhi
Muh huge is literally just a concept based on your own understanding. If God exists who are you to decide what size anything should be?

• +1
Reactions: Averagecel
lol u watched a youtube video and now run mumbai science in ur head

• JFL
Reactions: watah and isis_Bleach
my solution is that atheism isnt true and god created the world. theres no other way there can be literally 0 aliens and earth/humanity the only semblance of life in a massive universe, unless god did it.

• JFL
Reactions: sb23 and thebuffdon690
I‘m a big fan of the anthropic principle. It boils down to the following: If the universe wasn‘t like it is, I wouldn‘t even be able to ask myself this question.

Thoughts?
what a shit argument lol no offense. its like if a rapist was caught and his defense was "if I DID rape her, you wouldn't even question whether I did it or not:soy:"

• +1
Reactions: thebuffdon690
spatialtemporal distances are too wide for 2 sentient space faring species to make contact. there's bacteria all over the place. so we know life isn't some rarity. highly evolved life is rare

• +1
Muh huge is literally just a concept based on your own understanding. If God exists who are you to decide what size anything should be?
Yes, obviously huge from our own perspective.

I don‘t decide anything, it‘s a fact that the universe is that big.

• +1
Reactions: Henry Rollins

But theres nothing.

Thoughts?

This shithole ain't the place for philosophy bucko.

@Eriot Lodger thoughts bro? pretty sure youd have a good take on this. an realistic take, at least.

• +1
Reactions: Eriot Lodger
what a shit argument lol no offense. its like if a rapist was caught and his defense was "if I DID rape her, you wouldn't even question whether I did it or not:soy:"
Lol.

You don‘t comprehend what the anthropic principle is at all, judging by this shitty analogy.

Google it and try to understand it properly

• +1
Reactions: cannotbeasked

spatialtemporal distances are too wide for 2 sentient space faring species to make contact. there's bacteria all over the place. so we know life isn't some rarity. highly evolved life is rare
You talk like we have found even simple lifeforms on other planets when we haven‘t.

Even if another spacefaring civilization existed trillions of lightyears away, we would be able to detect it due to the slow speed of waves and that civilization‘s constant electromagnetic emissions.

Last edited:
Lol.

You don‘t comprehend what the anthropic principle is at all, judging by this shitty analogy.

Google it and try to understand it properly
well idk what it means outside of what u said(y)so thats ur fault

• +1
A strong statement directed towards humanity showing how far His power reaches, especially in monotheist religions which believe in One All-Mighty God, and that even if we understood at our maximum capacity, we wouldn't reach 0.00001% of the knowledge there is.

Allah says (Interpretation of the meaning): "and you ˹O humanity˺ have been given but little knowledge.”

I do believe there is more meaning to the universe, that different dimensions have different roles and usefulness within it, and that even in ours we will keep discovering meaningful stuff that at the same time will keep unveiling The Power of The Most High.
Don’t listen to this larping Islamist. Everything is about dawah

There’s probably millions of planets in the universe with life. They are just so far away we will never see them.

• +1
Reactions: lemonnz
my solution is that atheism isnt true and god created the world. theres no other way there can be literally 0 aliens and earth/humanity the only semblance of life in a massive universe, unless god did it.
There’s no way you decided to type this

• Woah
Reactions: isis_Bleach
God doesn’t exist. Sorry to burst ur bubble

I like the idea that other lifeforms are drastically different than what we are and we just can't tell yet either because light hasn't reached or because they simply just don't look like anything we'd expect

Take the lithop plant on earth for example, that shit looks like a rock, yet it's a plant, imagine a planet with only things like that, you would hardly be able to tell it's a living thing

There's also no way to accurately predict how other lifeforms would be like if they evolved in a different environment, as far as we know there could be a planet where every being just lives beneath the surface

There’s probably millions of planets in the universe with life. They are just so far away we will never see them.
If there were, due to exponential expansion we would be able to detect signs of them.

Even if the desire to expand is very rare, it only needs to apply to a few of them.

Last edited:
  • JFL
Reactions: thebuffdon690

But theres nothing.

Thoughts?
I study astrophysics so I’ll def add a answer to this later on.

• Love it
If there were, due to exponential expansion we would be able to detect signs of them.

Even if the desire to expand is very rare, it only needs to apply to a few of them.
I don’t think you understand how large the universe it. We wouldn’t be able to detect them that’s the point

I like the idea that other lifeforms are drastically different than what we are and we just can't tell yet either because light hasn't reached or because they simply just don't look like anything we'd expect

Take the lithop plant on earth for example, that shit looks like a rock, yet it's a plant, imagine a planet with only things like that, you would hardly be able to tell it's a living thing

There's also no way to accurately predict how other lifeforms would be like if they evolved in a different environment, as far as we know there could be a planet where every being just lives beneath the surface
Yeh it’s possible there’s way more advanced species than us. Guess we will never know

I don’t think you understand how large the universe it. We wouldn’t be able to detect them that’s the point
I do, if you‘d read my post which you clearly didn‘t. Or you can‘t understand it.

Do you know how exponential curves work?

• +1
Yeh it’s possible there’s way more advanced species than us. Guess we will never know
I think that's less likely, if they were more advanced they'd already have contacted us somehow

@Eriot Lodger thoughts bro? pretty sure youd have a good take on this. an realistic take, at least.
I think the idea of alien supremacy is very interesting. The technology necessary for true interdimensional travel and exploration might require an advanced level of intelligence so foreign to us that, to them, we would basically look like a pack of drooling bacteria. Or maybe insects. We wouldn't necessarily be able to understand them or comprehend the meaning of their presence. To us, they might seem almost like gods.

• JFL
Reactions: isis_Bleach
I do, if you‘d read my post which you clearly didn‘t. Or you can‘t understand it.

Do you know how exponential curves work?
Yeh it increases at an exponential rate

I think that's less likely, if they were more advanced they'd already have contacted us somehow
There’s a lot of reasons why they wouldn’t contact us, so no

There’s a lot of reasons why they wouldn’t contact us, so no
Not really. If they were like us just more advanced they'd have done it, if they can contact us billions of light years away then we're not even close to being a threat for them not to

Not really. If they were like us just more advanced they'd have done it, if they can contact us billions of light years away then we're not even close to being a threat for them not to
I don’t think their technology would be that advanced. I don’t think it’s possible for any civilianisation to develop technology which is so advanced it can contact from the other side of the universe.

Yeh it increases at an exponential rate
exactly

so imagine this:

A spacefaring civilization sends out 2 colony ships from their homeworld, those 2 colonies develop and send out their own 2 colony ships, which adds up to 4 colonies

these 4 colonies do the same thing and we have 8, which send out 16 altogether, I think you can see my point, this goes up exponentially

this is without considering the fact that the ‚old‘ colonies wont stop at the 2 ships, but will keep on adding more

with time, it would be very easy for a spacefaring civilization to colonize huge portions of the universe

exactly

so imagine this:

A spacefaring civilization sends out 2 colony ships from their homeworld, those 2 colonies develop and send out their own 2 colony ships, which adds up to 4 colonies

these 4 colonies do the same thing and we have 8, which send out 16 altogether

this is without considering the fact that the ‚old‘ colonies wont stop at the 2 ships, but will keep on adding more

with time, it would be very easy for a spacefaring civilization to colonize huge portions of the universe
I see what ur saying. Aren’t you assuming they have the same evolutionary basis as us though? They might have a non exponential way of evolutionary development as a species

• Hmm...
We don't even know about all the species on earth, especially in regards to marine animals.

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down

I don’t think their technology would be that advanced. I don’t think it’s possible for any civilianisation to develop technology which is so advanced it can contact from the other side of the universe.
If they're on the high end of the kardashev scale they could

I see what ur saying. Aren’t you assuming they have the same evolutionary basis as us though? They might have a non exponential way of evolutionary development as a species
You mean I can‘t assume that they have the desire to expand?

That‘s true, but it would only need to apply to a single one of them. If they have the desire for expansion (be it for profit, xenophobia or whatever) we can assume they would do it exponentially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back