Whether BOB Canthoplasty will increase PFL - a definitive answer and explanation

RealSurgerymax

RealSurgerymax

From .net
Contributor
PFL = Palpebral Fissure Length (Horizontal Length of your eyes)

Canthoplasty = In aesthetic surgery it is a procedure that repositions the healthy/functionally normal corner of the eye. It is also sometimes called a Canthopexy. // In reconstructive surgery it refers to a surgery that reconstructs a diseased or missing corner of the eye (defect) either from injury, skin cancer, infection, burns etc. and should not be confused since the techniques, goals, and results are much different.

BOB = Bridge of Bone. There are numerous canthoplasty and canthopexy techniques. Bridge of Bone Cabthoplasty has a lot of advantages in its permanent security, and not haveing a dead space between the lids and eyeball that certain canthopexy technkques can create.

I recently answered this in a different thread and wanted to make a dedicated post since I see a lot of conflicting answers and vague explanation. With some simple factors considered it is actually very easy to understand and predict what changes, if any, BOB Canthoplasty can cause to Palpebral Fissure Length (so people can have more realistic expectations.)

Whether it could minimally increase PFL depends on 2 factors:
  • Whether the lateral canthus was against the bridge of the bone to begin with or hangs off slightly (as in some people genetically and as happens with aging)
  • The shape of your orbits. To explain this in less of a vague way picture 3 landmarks:
    1. Medial Canthus (MC)
    2. Old Lateral Canthus (LC1)
    3. New Lateral Canthal Position after surgical repositioning (LC2)
      • In some people MC-to-LC1 will be a longer distance. In others MC-to-LC2 will be a slightly longer distance...
  • So with these factors considered is that in most younger patients Bridge of Bone Canthoplasty will not effect PFL very much at all in either direction.

Considerations for some possible modification:
However the shape of the orbits can be slightly modified. When I say slightly I mean about 1.5mm’s maximum in select individuals so don’t be given an inch and take a mile expecting 3 millimeters being added to your Palpebral Fissure Length...

The bridge of the bone at the planned new lateral canthal attachment (which we called LC2) can be burred down a millimeter or so. The individuals who would likely be able to have this would be people who have more than adequate globe protection:
  • Have normal or hyperplastic/bulky lateral orbital rim in the A-P dimension. (Forward LOR)
  • Have horizontally bulky or “thick” lateral orbital rim with some medial inclination
  • Do not have proptotic eyes/exopthalmos
  • Relatively deep conjuctival fornix laterally
  • Considerations for lacrimal gland safety
So even in this more extreme modified approach any Palpebral Fissure Lengthening realized will be subtle. With that said it may be worthwhile since even the most subtle improvements around the eyes can still be extremely satisfying.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: MTNAscension2, SteveRogers, Deleted member 29167 and 22 others
Dn rd
but good thread tbh maby
will read later

• +1
Reactions: rooman, thecel, .👽. and 1 other person
Nobody gives a fuck

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: rooman, AlwaysHaveQuestions, thecel and 4 others
you're a saint and I love you op

noone else does what you're doing

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: thecel, mewcoper, Gaia262 and 1 other person
Good post OP, are you Incel Bass in disguise?

Wow
Very nice post
Thx op

• +1
Reactions: RealSurgerymax
@RealSurgerymax makes a thread=Bookmarked before reading

• +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2 and RealSurgerymax
if i plan on doing OD(with lateral wall shaving and bone grafting after what you said of course :love:), would it make my lateral orbital comparatively more bulky? does that mean i can shave it?

• +1
PFL = Palpebral Fissure Length (Horizontal Length of your eyes)

Canthoplasty = In aesthetic surgery it is a procedure that repositions the healthy/functionally normal corner of the eye. It is also sometimes called a Canthopexy. // In reconstructive surgery it refers to a surgery that reconstructs a diseased or missing corner of the eye (defect) either from injury, skin cancer, infection, burns etc. and should not be confused since the techniques, goals, and results are much different.

BOB = Bridge of Bone. There are numerous canthoplasty and canthopexy techniques. Bridge of Bone Cabthoplasty has a lot of advantages in its permanent security, and not haveing a dead space between the lids and eyeball that certain canthopexy technkques can create.

I recently answered this in a different thread and wanted to make a dedicated post since I see a lot of conflicting answers and vague explanation. With some simple factors considered it is actually very easy to understand and predict what changes, if any, BOB Canthoplasty can cause to Palpebral Fissure Length (so people can have more realistic expectations.)

Whether it could minimally increase PFL depends on 2 factors:
  • Whether the lateral canthus was against the bridge of the bone to begin with or hangs off slightly (as in some people genetically and as happens with aging)
  • The shape of your orbits. To explain this in less of a vague way picture 3 landmarks:
    1. Medial Canthus (MC)
    2. Old Lateral Canthus (LC1)
    3. New Lateral Canthal Position after surgical repositioning (LC2)
      • In some people MC-to-LC1 will be a longer distance. In others MC-to-LC2 will be a slightly longer distance...
  • So with these factors considered is that in most younger patients Bridge of Bone Canthoplasty will not effect PFL very much at all in either direction.

Considerations for some possible modification:
However the shape of the orbits can be slightly modified. When I say slightly I mean about 1.5mm’s maximum in select individuals so don’t be given an inch and take a mile expecting 3 millimeters being added to your Palpebral Fissure Length...

The bridge of the bone at the planned new lateral canthal attachment (which we called LC2) can be burred down a millimeter or so. The individuals who would likely be able to have this would be people who have more than adequate globe protection:
  • Have normal or hyperplastic/bulky lateral orbital rim in the A-P dimension. (Forward LOR)
  • Have horizontally bulky or “thick” lateral orbital rim with some medial inclination
  • Do not have proptotic eyes/exopthalmos
  • Relatively deep conjuctival fornix laterally
  • Considerations for lacrimal gland safety
So even in this more extreme modified approach any Palpebral Fissure Lengthening realized will be subtle. With that said it may be worthwhile since even the most subtle improvements around the eyes can still be extremely satisfying.

Great post.

:)

Last edited:
  • +1
if i plan on doing OD(with lateral wall shaving and bone grafting after what you said of course :love:), would it make my lateral orbital comparatively more bulky? does that mean i can shave it?
Not bulkier but yes it would be relatively medially more inclined than before in relation to the globe which has shifted laterally

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions