Why and how to take daily self portraits (EVERYONE GTFIH) (BOTB?) (VIP submission thread)

klimo

klimo

Remember to be kind 😍🥰😘
Table of Contents (I recommend you read the TLDR first to get a gist of what this thread is about)
1. Discussion about posts on r/orthotropics
2. Why should you make a camera like this?
3. How to make a camera setup like this?
4. How to use a camera setup like this?
5. Some other notes.

Sometimes I occasionally scroll on r/orthotropics and i see dumb posts like this

It makes me so annoyed because the angles between these two photos are so obviously different and people blindly put the credit to mewing in the comments.

I'll admit his ramus did grow a bit though.

The really sad part is that the guy who posted this genuinely believes there is no difference in the angles between his pictures.

So when i saw this post, and many others like it, it inspired me to make a guide on how to actually take proper portraits of yourself.

I will be guiding you on how to set up your phone camera in a consistent position, the best lighting you should use, how to align your head properly in these portraits, and some other tips.

But first lets talk about why you should even do this.
There are three main reasons as to why

1. If you use this method you will never get accused of frauding your photos again.

This is because you'll ensure that your photos are taken in the exact same angles, positions, and lightings.

2. If you use this method you can accurately asses your bones and ratios.

Since these photos you take will be taken in the frankfurt plane, it will offer a clear and consistent view of your face.
Its almost like taking an xray of your skull at home

3. If you use this method you can track your progress. Ideally you should be taking a picture using this method every morning, and this will allow you to test different looksmaxxing techniques.
For example:

Let's say you're going on HGH, and you want to regulate your nose growth.

You can take pictures everyday using this camera and accurately asses your nose growth pixel by pixel since it is in the same position every single time and you wouldn't have to eyeball things.

Now that I've given the multiple reasons on why this is such a good thing to start doing, lets move onto making this camera setup...

To do this method, pick an area in your house with plenty of space (to manage lense distortion). This could be a hallway, a room, or something like that.

I picked this area in my room highlighted in yellow (ignore the board in the back).

After doing this put your phone somewhere at the end of the area in your house.

You can do this with a phone holder.

You can do this with an object, by laying your phone on the object

Or you could just tape your phone to a wall like an autist, whatever works for you...

Just make sure that you will be able to put your phone in this EXACT same position consistently.

When setting this up your phone camera should be slightly above eye level like this

Next grab some good lighting. You will need lighting over head above the phone camera, i'm using a ring light. but you cant pretty much place lighting anywhere, all that matters is your face is clear.

(the lighting shouldnt be that high up because it would make ur cheeks darkened if you have well developed cheekbones, so just put the lighting slightly above the camera)

Now that you have this camera set up. You must learn how to use this.

To avoid lense distortion, find the best distance you should be between your phone by walking back and forth, there will always be a place where there is no distortion.

make sure to mark this distance
by placing a rug on the floor on this exact spot for example, and you can always keep in mind to keep ur heels on that rug so you will always be at the same distance.

Now here is the most important part. we need to mark our external acoustic meteuas and infraorbital margin with a marker.

what is that you may ask, lets look at the frankfurt plane.
Frankfurt

In human anatomy, the Frankfurt plane is a reference plane that passes through the inferior margin of the left orbit and the upper margin of each ear canal or external auditory meatus. This plane is used as a standard reference point to define the anatomical position of the human skull. It was established in 1884 at the World Congress on Anthropology in Frankfurt, Germany.

These pictures that we take of ourselves will be adjusted to the frankfurt plane.

we must mark the upper margin of our external acoustic meatus, do this by feeling around, and then mark it with a marker

then we must mark our infraorbital margin

if we get a closer look this is where it is located.

so i then again marked this place with a marker:

You have now marked these essential places and when you are taking a side profile picture just make sure that these two places are completely connected horizontally.

then flare your ears out if you need to when taking your front profile pictures, and adjust your head level to be in the frankfurt plane.

(if anyone needs more explanation please ask because this is really rushed)

So right now you might be thinking that this thread is mediocre and not worthy enough to be BOTB.

You might saying to yourself, "This sub5 curry just told us how to take pictures of ourselves in the Frankfurt plane, without lens distortion, in the correct lighting, how is that useful in anyway? :ROFLMAO:"

And while you may be right that doing this method by itself is useless, its best to pair this with other things.
For example: Later today i will be uploading a thread on training your mentalis muscle for better chin projection. I will then proceed to give my mentalis muscle a "pump" to prove that it can get hypertrophy, and then make a second thread/video after 30 days documenting the growth i got.
But since it is a very small muscle it will likely grow in really small amounts, so by doing this method i will be able to track miniscule amounts of growth in my mentalis muscle.
So this is why you need to use this camera setup to document something, and it would be pretty useless to do this without doing something along side it.

TLDR: Taking a picture of your face every single day is one of the best things you can do to ascend. This is because it allows you to accurately rate yourself, it allows you to test out different looksmaxxing methods, and you will never get accused of frauding your photos ever again. This thread talks about how to make a camera set up to take pictures in the exact same position every single time. It goes into detail on the types of lighting, the angle your head should be at (frankfurt plane), and how far you have to be to avoid lens distortion.

@TechnoBoss @<6PSLcel @lestoa @ferfdd @You @NorwoodAscender @ykmsx2 @halloweed @TikiXVI @EGGY 1671u32g @Tord @vzidel @JoshuaG @Ajjubhai

sorry if i forgot to tag you 😔

To get on my tag list you must compliment me. example of someone doing that:

this is because i had a traumatic childhood 😢

so i constantly need love and compliments so i can heal from it and continue to make threads like this 😣

I sincerely hope you enjoyed this thread and got some valuable information from it :).
If you have skimmed through this thread, this is your sign to fully read it, as i put a lot of effort into it and i really think its worth your time.
But if you aren't going to read the whole thing then read the TLDR and the "Other Notes" part.

Attachments

• 1718422024556.png
    1718422024556.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Feliezzx, Clavicular, silencio and 10 others
BUMP

• +1
Reactions: Clavicular, Youㅤ, cromagnon and 1 other person
Fuck this thread came out way later then expected,

i was going to make a video guide along side this and all the other threads coming out today

and my computer crashed while i was editing the videos and i fucked up so hard by never saving them.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Clavicular, Youㅤ and TechnoBoss
This thread is shit compared to the other ones coming later today dw 💖

• +1
Reactions: Clavicular, Youㅤ and TechnoBoss
images dont work dnrasm
I fucked up so hard bro if only my editing software didnt crash then all of these would be bangers because they would be carried by the visual guides

• +1
Reactions: Clavicular and Youㅤ
good thread bhai, thanks for the tag, bookmarked, the images won’t load tho

• +1
Reactions: Clavicular
also this isnt a good thread i fucked up so hard

im a worthless person and i feel like roping rn

literally everything started breaking down on this last day I lost all my video files and almost all my saved threads and i had to re write them from scratch :feelswhy:

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Clavicular and Youㅤ
man you have the exact same lamp and mirror as me felt a bit creepy looking at the pictures

• JFL
Reactions: klimo
good post. almost every single rate, assessment, progress, etc. picture on .org is terribly set up.

• Love it
good thread, read every single molecule

• +1
Don’t care about the tag list but nice thread
Hope u heal from ur trauma

• +1